Black Covers (Sorry if this has already been done!)

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Re: The Last Hero - Black Cover

Anewor said:
You're both very helpful, thank you!

Why is it that some ARE in black covers and other not?
I think all of the Discworld regular novels will be done, exept Eric - different publisher, Last Hero - because needs to be bigger because of the pictures. Not sure about Maurice.

1. The Colour of Magic
2. The Light Fantastic
3. Equal Rites
4. Mort
5. Sourcery
6. Wyrd Sisters
7. Pyramids
8. Guards! Guards!
9. Eric
10. Moving Pictures
11. Reaper Man
12. Witches Abroad
13. Small Gods
14. Lords and Ladies
15. Men at Arms
16. Soul Music
17. Interesting Times
18. Maskerade
19. Feet of Clay
20. Hogfather
21. Jingo
22. The Last Continent
23. Carpe Jugulum
24. The Fifth Elephant
25. The Truth
26. Thief of Time
27. The Last Hero
28. The Amazing Maurice & His Educated Rodents
29. Night Watch
30. The Wee Free Men
31. Monstrous Regiment
32. Hat Full of Sky
33. Going Postal
34. Thud!
35. Wintersmith
36. Making Money
37. Unseen Academicals
38. I Shall Wear Midnight

Jun 22, 2010
I can't find the following:
- Night Watch
- Monstrous Regiment
- Going Postal
- Making Money
I can find all of the Tiffany Aching novels except the newest one. And I haven't seen one for Unseen Academicals, but I'll just assume that it just hasn't been released, yet.
I have seen pictures of the four missing titles I mentioned above, but no-one seems to sell them.
I really want to read Going Postal! I can wait for Night Watch, because I have only progressed as Feet of Clay with the Watch novels, but what irritated me is that Thud! is available, even though it was released later than Night Watch.
But if you look at Terry's UK-website, the Black Covers for the four titles I can't find, don't come up on the bookshelf.
And I've actually just ordered Thud! even though I'm not going to read it that soon, because I still have to read 3 other Watch books first. But it might vanish!

EDIT:
Oh, there you go. The answer to all my questions:
http://88.208.209.103/minisites/terrypr ... 1352#71352

I wish they would hurry! Amazon Germany has the publication date set for Dec 31, 2035. *g* I don't think I will wait that long :laugh: (Especially now that my TV is broken and I can't bring myself to spend my money on a new one.)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Thanks for digging that up! ;)

I'll post it here as well. It's a reply I got to an email I sent to Transworld (the publishers of the books) in September of 2010.

Tonyblack said:
I had a reply to my enquiry from Lynsey, the Press Officer at Transworld. :)

Hi Tony,

Thank you for your enquiry I hope you are well.

Regarding the black editions – Night Watch, Monstrous Regiment, Going Postal and Making Money will all appear in the black cover style. I don’t have a definite publication date for these but hopefully it will be next year. Unfortunately Eric was not published by Transworld and we therefore do not have the rights to publish it in the black edition.

I hope that clears everything up.

Best wishes,

Lynsey

Mutant24

Apr 25, 2011
Binding?

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to start my discworld collection but I'm having trouble finding consistency in the books binding.

To clarify: I'd like to have the whole collection in hardback format, with either the classic covers or the new black covers. Do they still print the books in hardback format? Do the black covers come in hardcovers?

Sorry if this is off topic, but I really like the way the spines of the black covers look on the shelf, and them being hardback would make my day :)

ISBNs would help
Thanx :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Welcome to the site, Mutant24! :laugh:

As far as I am aware, the books don't come in hardback black covers. I'm fairly sure the black covers are all paperbacks.

And while you can get most of the books in black covers, there are exceptions. Eric was published by a different company and therefore will probably never appear in black covers. The Last Hero is a large format book with illustrations and there gain will probably never appear in black covers.

You can probably get most of the books in hardback, traditional covers, fairly easily, although probably second hand in many cases. Watch out for BCA (Book Club) editions as they are often somewhat different to the proper versions. The same story but sometimes a different size or cover format. And some of the early editions are going to cost the proverbial arm and a leg if you are looking for a first edition.

Here's a link showing the various black covers available.

I hope that helps. :laugh:

Jun 22, 2010
Teppic said:
Was looking at the Black covers recently. Does anyone else think having the candle right there, on the front of Feet of Clay is an odd decision by the publishers?
I didn't notice until you said it. It didn't register with me before I read it, so I guess I'd have to claim it isn't too bad. Although, for people who are more alert than I am, it might be a bit stupid.

Sep 13, 2011
two new black editions

Hi Everyone, just thought i would let people know that the black edition of "I shall Wear midnight" has been released (1/9/2011) and according to Waterstones website a black edition of "Unseen Academicals" is to be released 13/10/2011.

Which is a tad annoying for myself, as i want to read them in order, yet as far as i know Nightwatch, Monstrous Regiment, Going Postal and Making Money still haven't been released in Black yet?

I've had the three Tiffany Aching black books and thud sitting on my shelves unread for ages now, i suppose another two more won't make much difference, hurry up nightwatch!

Oh and my apology if this info has already been posted somewhere else :)

feanor

Lance-Corporal
May 24, 2009
Ayup All...

I don't quite understand the rationale behind these Black covers. Unless they're for people who have 'Minimalist' homes and are frightened that their equally retentive friends will find out that they have a sense of Humour... or indeed posessions... ;)

I 'Came' to Terry quite Late I think, read TLF first, In paperback, (Secondhand of course) and then read TCOM, then bought the next three or four, also paperback, and read them in order. The first book I bought in Hardcover was MP, and like that ever since. But in Kirby/Kidby cover. (ooh, Alliteration !) Eric's in 'Floppycover' (yellow cover.) Strata, TDSOTS and Good Omens are Paperback too. I just think the 'Kids' covers are more entertaining, and in the Spirit of the Stories... Same as HP. I read COS first, Then PS, then followed the sequence... But all in 'Kids' and not those silly 'Adult' (OOer !) versions.

Leia Tortoise

Lance-Constable
May 11, 2011
Limousin, France
totitree.net
hi all!

For my part I really prefer the Kidby and even some Kirby covers, though I have to say I like to watch these other covers for their interpretations and the symbolic choosen for the book.

The thing I wonder is: who make these artworks? It would be interesting to have a glance at the other artist's works if there is!

User Menu

Newsletter