Black Covers (Sorry if this has already been done!)

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
feanor said:
Ayup All...

I don't quite understand the rationale behind these Black covers. Unless they're for people who have 'Minimalist' homes and are frightened that their equally retentive friends will find out that they have a sense of Humour... or indeed posessions... ;)

I 'Came' to Terry quite Late I think, read TLF first, In paperback, (Secondhand of course) and then read TCOM, then bought the next three or four, also paperback, and read them in order. The first book I bought in Hardcover was MP, and like that ever since. But in Kirby/Kidby cover. (ooh, Alliteration !) Eric's in 'Floppycover' (yellow cover.) Strata, TDSOTS and Good Omens are Paperback too. I just think the 'Kids' covers are more entertaining, and in the Spirit of the Stories... Same as HP. I read COS first, Then PS, then followed the sequence... But all in 'Kids' and not those silly 'Adult' (OOer !) versions.
I'm with you Feanor. Don't see the point and don't actually like the black covers they're like a poor mans version of the 'adult' Harry Potters

stripy_tie

Lance-Corporal
Oct 21, 2011
Guernsey, Land of Sea and Granite
Update and some strange goings on at Amazon.

Just to say "I Shall Wear Midnight" "Unseen Academicals" "Making Money" and "Night Watch" (out on the 27th) are now all available in the black covers though "Monstrous Regiment" and "Going Postal" still aren't and there's no sign of when that might happen.

"The Amazing Maurice And His Educated Rodents" seems to have been available for a while but the print run must have been sold out because it's not anymore.

Speaking of the "Night Watch" black cover something very strange seems to be going on with it's cover image on amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Night-Watch-Dis ... 304&sr=1-5

Click on the cover image and you'll see that it's the cover art for the "Thud" black cover with "Night Watch" written on it. Compared with the original design below.

http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1170349109l/47989.jpg

I'll admit to being completely baffled as to how this happened especially as the correct cover art was originally in place.

stripy_tie

Lance-Corporal
Oct 21, 2011
Guernsey, Land of Sea and Granite
feanor said:
Ayup All...

I don't quite understand the rationale behind these Black covers. Unless they're for people who have 'Minimalist' homes and are frightened that their equally retentive friends will find out that they have a sense of Humour... or indeed posessions... ;)

I 'Came' to Terry quite Late I think, read TLF first, In paperback, (Secondhand of course) and then read TCOM, then bought the next three or four, also paperback, and read them in order. The first book I bought in Hardcover was MP, and like that ever since. But in Kirby/Kidby cover. (ooh, Alliteration !) Eric's in 'Floppycover' (yellow cover.) Strata, TDSOTS and Good Omens are Paperback too. I just think the 'Kids' covers are more entertaining, and in the Spirit of the Stories... Same as HP. I read COS first, Then PS, then followed the sequence... But all in 'Kids' and not those silly 'Adult' (OOer !) versions.
Some of us just don't like the kirby cover art (it's ridiculously busy and doesn't seem to reflect anything about the story, more of an attempt to get every last character onto the cover). I also started out with the Death books and found the black covers through those and they went so well with the story and were so beautifully made that i had to get them.

I quite like to let my imagination create a picture of what a character looks like as well and having a picture of someone else's idea of that character being on the cover can prevent that from happening.

They look pretty freakin gorgeous lined up on a shelf too (as has been said on here) and it's just nice to see another artistic interpretation.

Also if a minimalist dared to venture into my flat it would be all i could do to prevent him from jumping off the balcony screaming.

Side note: As Harry potter was mentioned has anyone seen the new paperback signature editions? similar to the discworld black covers but a lot more colourful with a standard white background.

I have had some of my kirby covered paper backs go missing. I have recently moved house and i think a box has gone missing. I lost about ten of them, which is highly annoying. Thankfully it was only paper backs as i have all of them since masquerade in first edition hard back.

Are they stopping/have they stopped production of the kirby ones? because i would really rather like to replace them before they do.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Gman707 said:
I have had some of my kirby covered paper backs go missing. I have recently moved house and i think a box has gone missing. I lost about ten of them, which is highly annoying. Thankfully it was only paper backs as i have all of them since masquerade in first edition hard back.

Are they stopping/have they stopped production of the kirby ones? because i would really rather like to replace them before they do.
The Josh Kirby covers are still the most widely available of the paperbacks and you shouldn't have any trouble getting them.

I don't think there are any plans afoot to change the covers. :laugh:

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter