Black Covers (Sorry if this has already been done!)

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Aug 13, 2009
Cambridge
I noticed there was a thread about there being no black cover for Eric, but I'm also having trouble finding the covers for Monstrous Regiment and Going Postal. Apparently they do exist as I have seen a picture of both, but I have not come across them in any book stores or online stores. Is it possible for someone to direct me please?
Does anyone know whether there will be black covers coming out for The Wee Free Men , A Hat Full Of Sky and Making Money books? There might be a reason behind them having no black covers but I'm not aware of it.
(I apologise if these questions have very obvious answers and I'm just being an idiot.)

Any 'help' would be nice!
I dread to think of my collection all mis-matched! >_<
Thanks!

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Monstrous Regiment

Hi there BrokenChinaDolli and welcome to the site. :laugh: Above is a link to Play.com and a black cover copy of Monstrous Regiment. Making Money isn't out in paperback of any format yet - it comes out in October, but I don't know if that will be the same for the black covers as well.

You might want to contact Transworld the publishers of the books and ask them directly as they'll have the answers for sure. :laugh:

Good luck!

winther

Lance-Constable
May 18, 2009
Denmark, Europe
Just to clarify...

Going Postal, Monstrous Regiment, Night Watch and Thud are all going to be released in their black cover versions in October 2009.

Making Money will surely be released in this edition as well with time.

The childrens books (Wee Free Men etc.) haven't been released in black cover edition.

Hope these bits of info are useful to you :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
They've been around for quite a few years now and are less 'busy' than the traditional covers. Some people prefer them in the same way that some people prefered the 'adult' covers on the Harry Potter books.

And they look pretty good all lined up on your shelf. ;)

DaveC

Sergeant
Jul 7, 2010
Portishead, UK
davecfilmgeek.tumblr.com
I think I prefer these covers for their uniformity on a shelf. I don't have them, though, as i've been buying mine cheap from charity shops or ebay when I can and don't see these around much apart from as new.

The only ones I have bought new are UA, as it was only £3.79 pre-order paperback on Amazon and this week in the 3 for 2 in Waterstones Night Watch, Last Hero and Going Postal, as I hadn't ever seen these second hand.

Wow! that got a bit off topic, from cover preferences to budget and buying preferences!

winther

Lance-Constable
May 18, 2009
Denmark, Europe
Black Cover Update

I thought I'd post an update for all of you who buy these black cover editions.

I ordered and received black cover editions of "wee free men", "hat full of sky", "wintersmith" and "thud" today. So they are out there :)

Also, I know "The Amazing Maurice" is also available in black cover. I just haven't ordered it yet :)

As for the rest of the discworld books, i have seen them in black cover, but they haven't been released yet. They are "night watch", "monstrous regiment", "going postal" and "making money". Fingers crossed that they will be released soon.

Anewor

Jan 5, 2011
UK
The Last Hero - Black Cover

I'm trying to source a copy of The Last Hero in the fabled Black Cover for my husband.

So far I've found all of the books up to here in the Black covers (except of course Eric) but I'm struggling to find this one now too.

Has anyone any ideas or info?

Re: The Last Hero - Black Cover

Anewor said:
I'm trying to source a copy of The Last Hero in the fabled Black Cover for my husband.

So far I've found all of the books up to here in the Black covers (except of course Eric) but I'm struggling to find this one now too.

Has anyone any ideas or info?
Hi Anewor!

It won't be out in a black cover because it was made by a publisher to the other books. It's a bummer, I know... :cry:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
The Last Hero is a very large format book (28.2 x 24.1 x 1.5 cm)
with illustrations by Paul Kidby. It's not a typical novel like the others and therefore I doubt if it will ever be available in the Black covers.

Sorry about that, Anewor. It does come in paperback or hardback though and there's actually more illustrations in the paperback version. :)

Anewor

Jan 5, 2011
UK

Thank you DaveC! I'm so confused over these black covers. Is there a list or guide somewhere as to which will/are in black covers etc? It seems to me that some are coming out LATER in the black cover, is that right?

I've just gone through Amazon and bought those I need for the rest of the set (whilst I can still get them!) and registered to be emailed when they get stock of the ones I'm missing, but there are still some others that don't seem to be available in black covers:

Once More, with Footnotes
Where's My Cow?
I shall wear Midnight
Unseen Academicals
Scouting for Trolls
Raising Taxes

Any ideas/advice about them?

Once More, with Footnotes - biography'collection of shorts (help me Tony!)
Where's My Cow? - kids short story tie in with Thud!
Scouting for Trolls - short story
Raising Taxes - short story

These four definately won't be out in black covers

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales

Anewor said:
Once More, with Footnotes - not likely to ever be available
Where's My Cow? - not likely to ever be available
I shall wear Midnight - only in hardback at the moment
Unseen Academicals - Not yet available
Scouting for Trolls - Never heard of this one
Raising Taxes - hasn't been written yet
Hope that helps

Anewor

Jan 5, 2011
UK

You're both very helpful, thank you!

Why is it that some ARE in black covers and other not?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales

Anewor said:
You're both very helpful, thank you!

Why is it that some ARE in black covers and other not?
It's basically just the novels. Most of the children's books aren't availble in that format either.

Once More With Footnotes was a very limited edition collection of short stories. You'll only get it second hand and it's hideously expensive. o_O

User Menu

Newsletter