Doctor Who - New Series First Trailer

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Actually, there's another thing that I don't get. How the freakin' f*** do the humans get dwarf star alloy in 1969?

Okay, maybe the Silence managed to find a way to, but really, this is weird. I can understand the Doctor having the means to make shackles of it (like in The Family of Blood), or future humans using it to enslave the Tharils (in Warrior's Gate), but if the Silence have that technology...

Ah, my brain hurts. :x

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
deldaisy said:
Disagree with you Q.... Rivers and Amy are linked somehow.... either emotionally or in time. I don't believe Rivers kills the Doctor. Way too obvious.
Yes. It may be possible, however, that she does take the fall for it.

deldaisy said:
The Doctor said the Silence were WAITING for space suit technology.... and the girl is a child.... so why did they wait... did they forsee? Or CREATE the child? If the child is Amy's.... is she able to regenerate because it affected the baby invitro with the space travel? Hmmmmmm... you DO realise I have NO idea..... :laugh: :laugh: just throwing it out there.
I know, I know. It hurts the brain.

The Silence actually put alien technology into a spacesuit. Why, then, do they need humans to make a spacesuit if they can actually turn a spacesuit into a life-support suit/powered armour?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
You're talking about a show that has a time travelling police box that is bigger on the inside than the outside, a 900 year old alien who turns into other people when he dies and you expect it to actually make sense? :laugh:

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Tonyblack said:
You're talking about a show that has a time travelling police box that is bigger on the inside than the outside, a 900 year old alien who turns into other people when he dies and you expect it to actually make sense? :laugh:
I'm an Aspie. Of course it has to make some sort of sense! :p

Even if it is only to preserve the nature of narrative causality.

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Tonyblack said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: OH SHUSH!

Of COURSE it should make sense..... and it WILL make sense by the end of the series.. :p

Nov 21, 2010
What I don't get, is how can the Doctor know River less and less when he is actually knowing her more and more as he has already met in her in the Library as a previous self (so time travel doesn't apply as its his timeline) etc.. and each encounter we have seen since surely means he has more knowledge of her? o_O o_O

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
spideyGirl said:
What I don't get, is how can the Doctor know River less and less when he is actually knowing her more and more as he has already met in her in the Library as a previous self (so time travel doesn't apply as its his timeline) etc.. and each encounter we have seen since surely means he has more knowledge of her? o_O o_O
I knooooooooooooooow.... but SHE says he knows her LESS AND LESS!
o_O: o_O: o_O: Does not compute!

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
I think you all have gotten confused, vis-a-vis River.

The Doctor is meeting River in reverse, as to her own personal timeline. Every time he meets her in his personal timeline, he knows more about her, but she knows a little less. Not much, considering how confident she acts around him, but it's there.

However, River is also trying to stop the Doctor from knowing stuff that he shouldn't know from his future. And he doesn't trust her, especially after he learned that she murdered someone, someone very important.

Sep 25, 2010
Australia
Oh River is just very annoying and I was disappointed to find out that it wasn't her killed in the first episode. I think that, as a device, she has worn thin.

so Q, the fact that the child is being protected by the silence, and they organised for her a super-duper spacesuit that does everything, that they tell Amelia that she is going to help bring about the silence, is the child the big bad for the series? Why were the silence waiting for so long? (Since the time of the wheel).

Who was the creepy nurse looking out of the door - when there was no hatch in the door? Why did Amy mark her face in the home, she hadn't done it previously? Why was the door locked and then it opened?

Why are the 'aliens' in Dr Who mostly anthropoid? Does anyone remember in the TOG Star Trek the being made up of silicon? Yep, it looked like a rock.

Could we lobby for Marnix to be the CyberLeader? (Excellent). I'd like to see him dance in a Cyber suit. Are there outtakes of him dancing as Death? That would be very cool. 8)

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
pandasthumb said:
so Q, the fact that the child is being protected by the silence, and they organised for her a super-duper spacesuit that does everything, that they tell Amelia that she is going to help bring about the silence, is the child the big bad for the series? Why were the silence waiting for so long? (Since the time of the wheel).
The child is probably not the villain. Given that she has Time Lord abilities, she may be instead a means for the Silence to conquer time and space proper.

As for why the Silence waited for so long, if they are a parasite species, they are thus opportunists of the highest order. In other words, they would wait for the best opportunity, or the best time to make use of it.

pandasthumb said:
Who was the creepy nurse looking out of the door - when there was no hatch in the door?
Who knows? But she appears in the next episode, The Curse of the Black Spot.

pandasthumb said:
Why are the 'aliens' in Dr Who mostly anthropoid? Does anyone remember in the TOG Star Trek the being made up of silicon? Yep, it looked like a rock.
Most aliens in Star Trek have been anthropoid too, thank you very much. There is apparently some in-universe justification for it in Doctor Who: according to at least one account, Rassilon seeded the universe in a way that mostly humanoid creatures would evolve. Because he was a rabid xenophobe.

Let's see, non-anthropoid aliens in Doctor Who...

The Rills (Galaxy 4)

The Macra (The Macra Terror, Gridlock)

The Weed Creature (Fury from the Deep)

The Nestenes (not Autons)

The Green Slime (Inferno)

The Mind Parasite (The Mind of Evil)

Axos proper (The Claws of Axos)

Alpha Centauri and Arcturus (The Curse of Peladon)

The 'destroyer' form of Kronos (The Time Monster)

The Ogron eater (Frontier in Space)

The Wirrn (The Ark in Space)

The antimatter creature (Planet of Evil)

The Krynoid's final form (The Seeds of Doom)

Mandragora energy in its native form (The Masque of Mandragora)

A Rutan in native form (Horror of Fang Rock)

The Nucleus of the Swarm (The Invisible Enemy)

The Fendahleen (Image of the Fendahl)

The Shrivenzale (The Ribos Operation)

The Ogri (The Stones of Blood)

Kroll (The Power of Kroll)

Erato (The Creature from the Pit)

Meglos in his original form (Meglos)

The Marsh-spiders (Full Circle)

The Mara in snake form (Kinda, Snakedance)

The Plasmatons (Time-Flight)

The Myrka (Warriors of the Deep)

Fifi (The Happiness Patrol)

The Kitlings (Survival)

The Face of Boe

The Jagrafess (The Long Game)

The Reapers (Father's Day)

The Isolus (Fear Her)

The Living Sun (42)

The Family of Blood in normal form (Human Nature/The Family of Blood)

The Vespiform in normal form (The Unicorn and the Wasp)

The Vashta Nerada in normal form (Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead)

The Midnight Creature (Midnight)

The Stingrays (Planet of the Dead)

Prisoner Zero (The Eleventh Hour)

The Star Whale (The Beast Below)

The true form of the Saturniyans (The Vampires of Venice)

Whew! I'll post another post shortly, to break the flow a little... o_O

EDIT: BTW, I tried to avoid robots or Earthly creatures changed by alien stuff.

User Menu

Newsletter