Favourite character?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Death's 'different'! :laugh:

I always think he's not really 'of' Discworld - he's more the bag man who clears up and make sure the dead mostly stay that way and get where they're supposed to be going (obviously poor old Reg Shoe and other Zombies aren't included in that). Because of the 'duty' he doesn't really effect life on the Disc as such (yes I know he's saved it from the Auditors twice) so he's doesn't 'belong' in the planes of the living and can't really influence things like Vetinari, Vimes and Granny can - he doesn't know how to be human either, so he's out in a league of his own as a kind of cosmic champion more - in Thief of Time for instance he does kind of save the world, but as the world was frozen and then just carried on once Lobsang and Susan had put things right with the help of Lu-Tse nobody knew what he'd done. And in Reaperman the face-off with the Auditors was because he'd abandoned his duty - so if he expects thanks for that one he can think again! :laugh: ;)

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Jan Van Quirm said:
Who's Wee Dug said:
Just to show how far in front we are.

15 Sci-Fi Predictions That Came True
Link re-established! ;)

Makes for interesting reading that :laugh:
Thanks Jan it did work before, I remember reading about a vision phone being hacked in a humorous SF/Fantasy book by an American author and that was back in 1968 before the term was invented or even the vision phones were invented,it was called the Butterfly Kid loosely part of a trilogy of separate linked books, I still have them they were a fun read. :)

madam

Lance-Constable
Feb 10, 2010
gah i am surrounded by cretins :laugh: Margolotta, Vetinari and Vimes rock my entire wardrobe never mind my socks. :laugh: still i appreciate im in a minority group here. and possibly an endangerd species if the grace/havelock fans ever get onto this thread...

AndieKry

Lance-Constable
Jul 10, 2010
Emerald Isle
Hi all,
Had no time to read the whole thread - just my view/opinion/whatever the healthy brain can afford - Rincewind and Twoflower - both were the beginning and they gave the flavour for the rest of Discworld.
Of course, Death is exceptional.
In any case,
Meself.

Addams

Lance-Constable
Jul 16, 2009
Hmm, let's see :

Moist (i love this kind of rascal), Susan, Death, Vetinari, Ridcully and the librarian are my favorites.

Second row : Sally, Angua, Carrot, Nobbs and Colon.

Hope we will read more about the vampire girl in Snuff, she works fine with Angua, kind of a funny duo.

Well, if Pratchett manages to talk about something else than Vimes for a couple of pages of course. (cross fingers)

Hard to say who my absolute favourite is.

Would have a hard time choose between Granny Weatherwax, Sam Vimes, Adora Belle Dearheart (of course), the Patrician and the Librarian. And Capt Carrot, Nobby Nobbs, Susan, Twoflower...

erm...

I suppose thats the great thing about Pratchett - his characters are so fully fleshed out that they all have (pretty much) have something to endear themselves.

Ok, possibley not a Reacher Gilt for example, but y'know what I mean.

Aug 12, 2010
Bristol
Hi
well that one is awkward slightly I must insist that I have 4 all on the same parr 1= Errol the dragon[love the little critters in general]
2= captain samuel vimes [pretty much an alcoholic myself ...mmm rum]
3= Rincewind of course [social outcast myself and my dog is small and deadly follows me everywhere]
4= the three witches [lol]

PS Can anyone advise me on the image adding seems to be failing miserably on signature and posts ?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
InfernoOrangeSS said:
Having read through a number of books since my last post where I stated that Rincewind and Death are my two favorites...I have to add Moist Von Lipwig to that list. I absolutely loved Going Postal!

:clap:
It's a good book. :laugh: I don't think Making Money is nearly so good though. o_O

hazel8252

Lance-Constable
May 27, 2011
I was trying to work this out a few weeks ago, I think they are;
5. Ridcully
4. The Librarian
2.' Vimes
2.' Granny
1. Death, who is Awesome.
I couldn't seperate Vimes and Granny, but every time I read Vimes I am reminded of Gibbs out of NCIS, and every time I watch NCIS I am reminded of Vimes. Anyone else familiar with both who agrees?

SpyViolette

Lance-Constable
Nov 3, 2011
Portland, Oregon
www.witchybee.com
Okay, I'm going to attempt this and hope my head doesn't explode from the effort. My current top eight:

1. Death
2. Vimes
3. Vetinari
4. Moist von Lipwig
5. Granny Weatherwax
6. Lu-Tze
7. Adora Belle Dearheart
8. The Luggage

This isn't counting, of course, everyone who would be tied for those spots.

Jingizu

Jul 3, 2012
This is a really difficult one, since there probably isn't a Discworld character that I *didn't* like!

My top 5 would be [in no particular order]:

Granny Weatherwax
Death
Susan
Ridcully
Vetinari

User Menu

Newsletter