Good children's books...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
Just read two books to the girls recently that were great. The Voyage of the Basset (can't remember the author). This was a chapter book that took several nights to get through and it has incredibly beautiful illustrations! And we just read Blueberry Girl by Neil Gaiman. This was a shorter one, but really sweet and again with lovely illustrations.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
James C. Christensen wrote Voyage of the Basset apparently. :)

I loved the CS Lewis Narnia series and read it to my kids when they were small and they loved it too.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
My favourite book as a child (and I still love it now) was Which Witch? by Eva Ibbotson. The witches in it were brilliant :laugh:

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
We read the first Narnia book a few years ago. I'd like to read it again and continue on with the others.

Dotsie, I'll see if I can get Which Witch to read to them.

Can't do Velveteen Rabbit, don't want to cry. :(

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Who's Wee Dug said:
One of my favorites was Wind in the Willows and I even bought the adult version of the later tales by William Horwood who wrote 4 novels. :)
You might enjoy Brian Jacques 'Redwall' series Dug. It's something like Wind in the Willows, but with more battles. :laugh:

Seriously, it's an excellent series. ;)

chris.ph said:
i bought redwall on somebodies reccomendation on here either tony or jason and my god there was more bloodshed in it than diehard,and its a kids book :eek: good tho :laugh:
Brian Jacques began writing for his blind child and the clamor for more has driven him to write a fantastic amount and yes there is bloodshed, but the good'uns always triumph.

There are puzzles to solve and cleverness is rewarded. Good behaviour is always treated positively. They make great books to read to lil ones.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit said:
chris.ph said:
i bought redwall on somebodies reccomendation on here either tony or jason and my god there was more bloodshed in it than diehard,and its a kids book :eek: good tho :laugh:
Brian Jacques began writing for his blind child and the clamor for more has driven him to write a fantastic amount and yes there is bloodshed, but the good'uns always triumph.

There are puzzles to solve and cleverness is rewarded. Good behaviour is always treated positively. They make great books to read to lil ones.
He's not afraid to kill off heroes either. I've found myself laughing and shedding a tear within a few pages.

And the feasts are great! :laugh:

Jul 26, 2008
i remember fondly a book called Stig of the dump, i loved that book and read it so many times cant remember the author thoough, and they made it into a mini series on telly but if i remember it didnt hold a light to the book.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
The_Discworldaholic said:
i remember fondly a book called Stig of the dump, i loved that book and read it so many times cant remember the author thoough, and they made it into a mini series on telly but if i remember it didnt hold a light to the book.
It was written by Clive King. We read it in school and I loved it. :)

Jul 26, 2008
Tonyblack said:
The_Discworldaholic said:
It was written by Clive King. We read it in school and I loved it. :)
Cheers for that Tony saved me the job of looking it up lol i replied to this thread late and i mean late last night so couldnt be bothered lol

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
It has been that long since I was in junior school I can't remember what books we used to read, except for that bloody poetry by Wadsworth and his ilk really used to stick in my craw that did soooooo boring, that is where my dislike of that type of prose comes from. I mean if it had been something from Rabbie Burns with a bit of life and humour in it.
:laugh:

I have very fond memories of Robin Jarvis, who wrote the Deptford Mice series and The Whitby Witches, amongst others. I was also a huge fan of The Borrible trilogy^ by Michael de Larrabeiti (I still am, in fact.). Although I wasn't a child when I found them, Neil Gaiman's YA work is astonishingly good. I love them, as does my fantasy novel hating wife, my father and my Doctor Who obsessed 13 year old nephew. Diana Wynne Jones, is always worth reading as well, however old a child you are.;)

I don't know if they were originally written with younger readers in mind, but I would heartily recommend the Firekeeper series by Jane Lindskold and of course, the Earthsea novels by Ursula K. Le Guin. Robert Westall wrote incerdibly good children's books as well.

^One word of warning, even thirty three years after first publication The Borribles are still quite controversial in a lot of parents' eyes.

User Menu

Newsletter