Least favourite Discworld book

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Nov 15, 2011
Aust.
Monstrous Regiment is my 2nd favourite stand alone book after Small Gods.

Anyway, Unseen Academicals has one of the best book covers ( The Librarian & The Luggage!) but it'd be my least favourite. Mr Nutt & Trev were good characters though.

Making Money was better on the second read.

KEN DOG

Lance-Constable
Jan 31, 2012
NOTTINGHAM
i guess because they have a thick scotish acient,and it is written that way i find it hard to read. i find it hard to understand the scottish acient when spoken.lol as a result i just gave up with it.

each to there own. but i just could not get on with it.

but you know what? im going to give it another go. try,try again.

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.”

KEN DOG said:
i guess because they have a thick scotish acient,and it is written that way i find it hard to read. i find it hard to understand the scottish acient when spoken.lol as a result i just gave up with it.

each to there own. but i just could not get on with it.

but you know what? im going to give it another go. try,try again.

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.”
Love that quote ;)

It's interesting, though, that it was because of the accent that I loved the book - I can almost hear them in my head, talking :laugh:

KEN DOG

Lance-Constable
Jan 31, 2012
NOTTINGHAM
im going to try it again. everyone tells me how good it is. just about to start UA. so after that i will give it a go.

“Do you need an excuse to have a war? I mean, who for? Can't you just say "You got lots of cash and land, but I've got a big sword, so divy up right now, chop chop"”

Bron H

Jan 12, 2012
Powys, Mid Wales
There have only ever been two discworld books i havn't enjoyed. :|
These are the first two The colour of Magic and the light fantastic.
They just didn't get it for me.
It was lucky i'd read the tiffany books first otherwise i might have given up after i'd read the first two.

Dec 20, 2011
Bath
I think it would have to be Moving Pictures. I mean I like its construction, re-envisioning of early Hollywood and integration of Plato's Cave theory, but non of the characters ever seemed to click for me - asides from CMOT; where's my 1000 elephants :laugh: - and the reality collapse at the end just seemed a little predictable.

TimBou

Lance-Constable
Feb 29, 2012
Canberra, Australia
Unseen Academicals - too slow and ponderous and I get the feeling Terry just doesn't love football so why write about it? There's still some good things in there though as with all his books.
Moving Pictures - fun but just a tad too silly and the central characters don't really engage me.
I'm still only about halfway through all of Discworld yet so this may change.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Wow Meer , that was deep. I'm a footie loon and i agree with you guys. Football is a foil for the story and meaning rather than the core . :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter