Least favourite Discworld book

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

polythenegirl

Lance-Corporal
Sep 6, 2010
Nottingham, UK
Hmmm... for me it would have to be ISWM. I just didn't enjoy it as much as others and found it painfully childlike in places (yes I know it is a book for younger readers, but I thought it was even more than the other Aching books).

Its the last book on my re-reading list for TP

David Brown

Lance-Corporal
Jul 4, 2011
West Sussex
The Thief of Time.

I'm going to re-read it soon, just because it was in the library, and neither The Fifth Elephant nor The Truth was. Maybe I shall enjoy it more this time.

Jan 1, 2010
Joining in the general theme of despairing wails as soon as someone claims a least favourite..

What! Thief of Time is definitely in my top three, one of the funniest of the recent books

David Brown

Lance-Corporal
Jul 4, 2011
West Sussex
author3 said:
The Thief of Time was brilliant
It's in my top 10 although The Truth was better
Doughnut Jimmy said:
Joining in the general theme of despairing wails as soon as someone claims a least favourite..

What! Thief of Time is definitely in my top three, one of the funniest of the recent books
OK, I've re-read it, and it's a lot better than I remembered.

Feb 21, 2011
^ A friend of mine gave up on the series after MR. Personally I thought it was decent though not one of the best (though a hell of a lot better than UA which was just plain crap IMO).

A

Anonymous

Sorry to rant about UA again, but even though I am more or less at oeace with the book now (doesn't mean I like it all of a sudden) there remains one scene that makes me angry. And I mean angry.

After the orc ran away and then came back to the UU and they get 'greeted' by Ponder we learn that Ponder is pretty desperate, near panic and rather scatterbrained because he has been unable to train the team in the absence of the orc.

I could have understood if the reason would have been that he couldn't concentrate on it or didn't had the time because of all his jobs.

But no. The reason he couldn't train the team and had them 'running on the spot' was because he couldn't remember all the things the orc comes up with!

WHAT THE HELL

Suspension of disbelief only stretches so far and, sorry, but I am NOT buying that Ponder suddenly is that much of a complete moron who can't think for himself at even the most basic things.
Yes, Ponder is a very unathletic character, but, f*ck, that should NOT keep him, who has worked out the rules, who before was able to list what the wizards were doing wrong at their play from f*cking coming up with basic training methods like passing the ball, running with the ball, goalie-training etc.
I am just NOT buying that.
Not to mention WHAT THE HELL ELSE should it be the orc came up with?!
And not to mention Ponder has HEX, who could very well check the L-Space for training methods. Or he could ask the Librarian about that...or ...graaaaaah :devil:

That particular scene is...I don't know, but I f*cking hate it. I really, really hate it.

Sorry for ranting. But that scene is just.... It's like reading about... I don't know.... Vimes doing policework like Colon would do in his really worst moments. Or Granny suddenly acting like one of the young wanna-be witches without it being a razzle-dazzle....

Australis

Lance-Constable
Oct 22, 2011
MR and UA.

In MR, the female characters just didn't feel quite right. I don't know why, they seemed a bit forced to me. It only picked up for me when Vimes appeared. The main female character, whose name I've forgotten, would run around in a bit of a daze, then suddenly does something completely brilliant out of the blue... then goes back to not coping very well. There's a solid character there, but she needs to be a bit more centred.

UA. As I've said elsewhere, there's about 3 characters too many. That book should have concentrated on the foot-the-ball and nothing else, and put the fashion stuff elsewhere.

That said, I should read those two again, just to be sure.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Australis said:
MR and UA.

In MR, the female characters just didn't feel quite right. I don't know why, they seemed a bit forced to me. It only picked up for me when Vimes appeared. The main female character, whose name I've forgotten, would run around in a bit of a daze, then suddenly does something completely brilliant out of the blue... then goes back to not coping very well. There's a solid character there, but she needs to be a bit more centred.

UA. As I've said elsewhere, there's about 3 characters too many. That book should have concentrated on the foot-the-ball and nothing else, and put the fashion stuff elsewhere.

That said, I should read those two again, just to be sure.
You mean Polly in MR. ;)

One of the things I love about MR (and I didn't like it when I first read it) is that Polly is on a voyage of discovery about herself. Part of the problem you have with it is down to Polly gaining confidence in herself and discovering that she's actually very good at being a soldier.

The voyage of discovery thing is the difference between Going Postal and Making Money. Moist's realisation that he wasn't really a bad man and that he could use his talents for good in GP was fascinating. But MM didn't really have that. Moist was an established character and therefore the plot felt really flat to me.

Ziriath

Constable
Oct 15, 2011
Brno, Czech Republic
I do not like Unseen Academicals- for the reasons that have been already said. I did not care about the main characters and the story lines at all.
Vetinari drinks so much beer and doesnt get actually drunk? And likes to eat weird food? Seriously, WTF? This is not Vetinari how we know him and like him!
But it was nice to read about him and lady Margolotta together though.

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter