SPOILERS Lets Cast - 'Guards! Guards!'

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
This is always fun.. Let's think up a good cast for 'Guards! Guards!' I'd love to see (can't spell his name) Rowan Akkison (?) play Lord Vetinari.. (Think the third season of Black Addar) The Nobby from Hogfather wasnt exactly Nobby.. But he was brilliant.. And i'd pick him again.

I'm very picky when it comes to favourite characters.. And Vimes is definitely a favourite character of mine. There is only one actor i think could do him properly: the actor who plays 'Dr House' in 'House'. What do you think?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I see what you mean about Rowan Atkinson playing Vetinari, but I think he's too chubby for the role. Jeremy Irons was superb as him in Colour of Magic, but I'd use Terence Stamp or Charles Dance as well.

I hadn't thought of Hugh Laurie as Vimes, but that could work. Terry has said that he sees Vimes as looking something like Pete Postlethwaite, and if you look at 'Where's My Cow' Vimes does indeed look like him.

Actors can lose and gain weight for their roles. Think of Rene Zelwossissname in Bridget Jones' Diary and Down With Love. ~googles those names you mentioned~.

Oh, and this isn't Guards Guards, but John Cleese would make an EXCELLENT Munstrum Ridcully. And perhaps the rest of the Monty Python crew playing the other wizards?

Jarmara

Lance-Corporal
Aug 1, 2008
West Yorkshire
www.brisinga.co.uk
Personally, I've always fancied Robert Lindsay for Vimes. I reckon Perry Fenwick could pull Nobby off quite well and I like Mark Benton (in age makeup) for Colon. Carrot is difficult, mainly because he's supposed to be about 16 in Guards! built like The Governator but also magically becomes much older over the year or so that passes between Guards! and Men At Arms. I think probably an unknown for that one.
Alan Rickman for Vetinari, sorry but I can't get past that. Ian McDiarmid for Wonse. I'm constantly stuck for a good Sybil.

Periwinkle

Lance-Constable
Jul 25, 2008
Jarmara said:
Personally, I've always fancied Robert Lindsay for Vimes. I reckon Perry Fenwick could pull Nobby off quite well and I like Mark Benton (in age makeup) for Colon. Carrot is difficult, mainly because he's supposed to be about 16 in Guards! built like The Governator but also magically becomes much older over the year or so that passes between Guards! and Men At Arms. I think probably an unknown for that one.
Alan Rickman for Vetinari, sorry but I can't get past that. Ian McDiarmid for Wonse. I'm constantly stuck for a good Sybil.
Have to agree with Alan Rickman for Vetinari - wasnt keen on Jeremy Irons and why the speech impediment in Colour of Magic? Sorry Tony.

I have this weird idea that now that she is older Felicity Kendal could do a passing impression of Sybil !

Jinx

Lance-Corporal
Jul 27, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Vetrinari - Richard E Grant or Michael Wincott (Though I think he'd be an excellent Carcer[NW] too)
Nobby - Brad Dourif
Vimes - Paul Usher
Colon - William Tarmey
Carrot - Ewen McGregor

I really can't argue with Brian Blessed for Ridcully.

RACKU

Lance-Constable
Aug 15, 2008
Australia
I wish I was good with actors.
But Rowan Atkinson? I don't see it, sorry :p I think they might as well keep the other guy with the puppy. Lets be merciful.

Popcap

Lance-Constable
Jul 27, 2008
Sweden
hehe the only actor mentioned i can realate to this far is Rowan Atkinson :laugh:

but i got "the art of discworld" and well Tp comments on Vimes'es looks

about vimes
Paul always make him look a bit like Clint Eastwood, but i've always imagined him as a younger, sligthly bulkier Peter Postlewaite
though i gotta say the guy that plays House in house looks a bit like him :p

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I reckon Jessica Stevenson would make a good Sybil, although I'm not sure how old she looks these days! She'd probably need a bit of padding as well, but I bet she'd get the posh bird / formidable presence bit just right.

chris.ph

Sergeant-at-Arms
Aug 12, 2008
swansea south wales
penelope keith as sybil
robert carlyle as rincewind(ratty face)
robbie coltrane as ridcully
catherine jenkins as sgt angua(only attractive bloonde with long hair i can think of)
rob terry(a junior american wrestler) as captain carrot

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
:laugh: Well apart from the fact that Angua isn't in Guards! Guards!, I've always thought that Brigitte Nielsen would be good in the role - she's even got an Uberwaldian accent. Possibly a bit too old now though. :(

Aug 29, 2008
Bridgwater Somerset
Jeremy Irons ...........Vetinari
Pete Postlethwaite......Sam Vimes
Nicolas Tennant.........Nobby
Mike Myers..............(Fat *astard body costume and an Irish voice).........Fred Colon
Dawn French ............Sybil Ramkin (Fat body costume not required! )
Brendan Fraser..........Carrot Ironfoundersson
Rowan Atkinson..........Lupine Wonse
Richard da Costa........Librarian
Death...................Christopher Lee (Voice)
Death...................Marnix Van Den Broeke

S Briggs or N planer can do the Voice of the Dragon

User Menu

Newsletter