Living With Alzheimer's BBC2 Documentary

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Ogg

Lance-Corporal
Jan 23, 2009
Cornwall, UK
Literally just finished watching part one of this moving documentary. I'm sure I could raise many opinions but for now I'm still very much moved by Sir Terry's reading of Nation at the DW convention...I'm not afraid to admit that my emotions got the best of me. Thought provoking television at it's finest.

ps: I couldn't find another thread about this so apologies if I've missed one.

Jason

Special Constable
Jul 10, 2008
Pontarddulais - Wales
discworldmonthly.co.uk
I agree, it was a frank, moving, funny and informative documentary. I can't wait for part 2.

I particularly loved Rob almost electrocuting himself. :) That did make me laugh out loud.

Then watching Terry fumble with the reading of Nation. It showed a much more vulnerable, more human and much more approachable side than he has allowed before.

If I wore a hat I would take it off to Terry for allowing that side of him to be shown.

hidemeuke

Feb 4, 2009
Suffolk
www.freewebs.com
Yea it was very sad, The readers did empathize with his plight at the book reading. It must be so frustrating. I have MS and know how that is frustrating as you never know how long you will be around I enjoyed the documentary and hope it will help everyone understand the Terry's disease.

Jul 26, 2008
i concur very moving and my heart goes out to him, but one thing...... has the bloke never heard of a duster :laugh: cobwebs everywhere, but saying that if he wants me to clean them ill come round and do it for free, hey maybe thats something to do for comice relief :)

Tiffany

Sergeant
Oct 13, 2008
Devon
I agree with everything said here. He is such a brave man to put himself through all that on camera. Specially going to see people with the same type as he has, several years on from where Terry is at. The people featured on that were very brave as well. I too will watch the next programme avidly.

UralRider

Feb 4, 2009
New to this forum but felt I needed to say something...

Yes, it's a sad that Terry's got "old people" disease but in the same light it's envigorating that he's fighting hard and putting himself in the media spotlight whilst doing it to show what could be done to overcome it. There are thousands of people (and their families) suffering from Alzheimer's who can't tell us what they are/have been experiencing. About time it was brought into the media.

Thanks, Terry, for having the balls to go public and show everyone who hasn't had personal experience what's involved. It's very, very distressing for the person and their family.

Bravo Zulu, Terry. Top Man. We love you and your imagination.

Ogg

Lance-Corporal
Jan 23, 2009
Cornwall, UK
Tonyblack said:
Does anyone know if this will be available to see on the Internet?
I've no doubt it will be available on the bbciplayer...having just checked it IS there already http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... Episode_1/ but for UK users only though (available to download for seven days only, as usual the file's encrypted.
If your ethics can withstand the shame of internet piracy I can point you in the right direction as well.

I have to agree that it take's some guts to allow the camera to follow him like that, total respect.

Thundercat

Oct 14, 2008
Belfast N. Ireland
Welcome UralRider, your last was spot on. Several friends of mine who are not readers have mentioned seeing Terry on news shows talking about Alzheimers in the last year. He is doing a great job of raising the awareness of this disease. We spend our lives collecting memories and to be robbed of them in our later years, when we need them most, must be the cruelist trick of all.

cols

Lance-Corporal
Nov 5, 2008
ireland
I found it hard to watch in places and admire Terry's strength to allow the world to see his vunerability.I have to say when he was struggling with his tie and said 'camera off' that he wasn't going to 'perform' I realised just how difficult it must be to share his increasing vunerability with the world.
I laughed too. Terry's wit is certainly as sharp as ever
And I wowed at his study... never mind the dust discworldaholic did you see all the goodies in there I'd happily get lost

Jul 26, 2008
yes i did :) why do you think im volunteering to dust them, love to get a close up look at whats on the shelves, only got glimpses but he has some nice reading material there, maybe someone can get in touch with Rob and ask him if he can take some pictures of Terrys shelves so we can get a better look at whats on them, it would certainly give me more insight into the mans genius mind.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I laughed when I saw that the genetic analyser was called Hal. The last lab I worked in, mine was called.... Hex! :laugh:

Nobody got it but me. They weren't fans :rolleyes:

User Menu

Newsletter