Mark Reads Discworld

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

high eight

Lance-Corporal
Dec 28, 2009
The Back of Beyond
poindexter said:
I have a feeling Mark's posts are going to get very repetitive.. He should just skip this one and save everyone the headache.
Unless he just dittoes everything. I wonder if he will be as annoyed by The Last Continent? After all, that does to Australia what IT does to China and Japan.

BTW, thanks for the very interesting chat about Chinese history and legend guys. I found it fascinating.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
No probs, high eight. I'm always interested in history and mythology, no matter where it comes from. :)

To be honest, I couldn't care less what Mark thinks of TLC. I live in Australia and I pissed myself laughing (not literally, of course!) while reading TLC. :twisted:

I also couldn't care less what Mark thinks of Discworld. I've given up on that knob as long time ago as Mort. :devil:

Sigh... I know that not all Americans may understand UK culture, idioms, expressions etc., and that's fine. I'm an Aussie and I've studied UK history, geography, literature, and language for over 10 years, and I still don't know everything about the UK, which is what makes it interesting. :) But to then turn around and say that Terry is racist, well... :devil:

I remember reading that someone - I don't remember who - once said that there were two types of people. One type doesn't "get" you, and would say, "I don't understand this person. What's wrong with me?"

And the other type doesn't "get" you, and would say, "I don't understand this person. What's wrong with him?"

high eight

Lance-Corporal
Dec 28, 2009
The Back of Beyond
Cheers Rathdarkblade - I've given up watching Mark read Discworld and I might well give up reading the comments soon - they;re not doing my blood pressure any good! :devil: :devil:

The Last Continent is my favourite Rincewind book and it is nice to know what a genuine Aussie thinks of it.

British humour can be very 'non-pc' at times and in my opinio is a lot better for it - I love the "did he/she really just say that?" shock. Getting offended straight away without thinking about it first id just plain silly, imo. For example, one of Mark's followers complained bitterly about fantasy authors who use a 'mash-up' of China and Japan as default 'eastern' without bothering to consider that maybe that is the kind of thing that Terry is satirising. :rolleyes:

The "he doesn't get it" comment was by Terry himself, btw.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
The Last Continent isn't one of my favourites, but it does have some really interesting concepts in it. The whole "they have something worse than chains" bit in itself is incredibly insightful. But some of these people on Mark's site will totally miss that while they are busy being offended. :rolleyes:

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
That's one of the things they're being offended by.
IT is not my favorite book, but it has some good points. I particularly like the buried tomb and the army.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Tonyblack said:
The Last Continent isn't one of my favourites, but it does have some really interesting concepts in it. The whole "they have something worse than chains" bit in itself is incredibly insightful. But some of these people on Mark's site will totally miss that while they are busy being offended. :rolleyes:
Uhm, isn't the "worse than chains" bit from Interesting Times, not TLC?

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
high eight said:
poindexter said:
I have a feeling Mark's posts are going to get very repetitive.. He should just skip this one and save everyone the headache.
Unless he just dittoes everything. I wonder if he will be as annoyed by The Last Continent? After all, that does to Australia what IT does to China and Japan.

BTW, thanks for the very interesting chat about Chinese history and legend guys. I found it fascinating.
I'm wondering how he will react to the way the Feegles speak and the racial stereotyping of the Scottish people. It will be interesting to see if he reacts any differently and I might just pop back then and see how consistent he is.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I've stopped reading his comments page now. I looked in the other day and he was going on about how would Chinese people feel reading this book. He obvious doesn't realise how popular Terry's books are in Asian countries. :rolleyes:

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
My previous attempt at a reply seems to have vanished into the interwebs. My apologies if this shows up twice.
How popular are Terry's books in Asian countries?

I used Google and only found a double handful of covers.
An ebook publisher in Taiwan seems to have published at least five if not eight books, all of which are Watch novels.
He said he had published Guards! Guards!, Men at Arms, Feet of Clay, and Jingo, and there were plans to publish The Fifth Elephant, Night Watch, Thud! and Snuff. Other publishers had done Sourcery, Pyramids, Eric, and Guards Guards in paper. I also found cover images for TCoM, TLF, ER, and Mort.
I found covers for TCoM in Japanese and Korean.
That's a total of what, fifteen? All of which were within the last five years, I believe.
If you have better data, I'd love to see it.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Also, I've been pleasantly surprised by some of the people who have been posting calm, reasonable comments. Posting there sometimes feels a little like trying to introduce Linux at Microsoft Headquarters, but since I hear that's actually happened, there may be some reason for guarded optimism.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
=Tamar said:
My previous attempt at a reply seems to have vanished into the interwebs. My apologies if this shows up twice.
How popular are Terry's books in Asian countries?

I used Google and only found a double handful of covers.
An ebook publisher in Taiwan seems to have published at least five if not eight books, all of which are Watch novels.
He said he had published Guards! Guards!, Men at Arms, Feet of Clay, and Jingo, and there were plans to publish The Fifth Elephant, Night Watch, Thud! and Snuff. Other publishers had done Sourcery, Pyramids, Eric, and Guards Guards in paper. I also found cover images for TCoM, TLF, ER, and Mort.
I found covers for TCoM in Japanese and Korean.
That's a total of what, fifteen? All of which were within the last five years, I believe.
If you have better data, I'd love to see it.
Colin Smythe, Terry's agent, used to have a site showing where all the books were available along with pictures of the covers. This site is no longer available as far as I can tell. But there were certainly publications in China, Korea and Taiwan. I don't know offhand what books are available and where they are available. It would be nice to still have access to a database of DW covers from forn parts.

User Menu

Newsletter