Nac Mac Feegle Dictionary

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I don't know about a website, but there's the 'A FEEGLE GLOSSARY ADJUSTED FOR THOSE OF A DELICATE DISPOSITION (A Work In Progress By Miss Perspicacia Tick)' in some of the Tiffany books.

The Feegles in Carpe Jugulum seem to speak a different dialect to the ones in the Tiffany books. If you look at annotations for Carpe Jugulum on LSpace, you'll see quite a lot there as well.

Hope that helps. ;)

bogieman

Constable
Jul 26, 2008
Tonyblack said:
:laugh: Neither do I! It's like trying to read Trainspotting.
Arr ye canny rid "trainspootin" ye jist ha ta boggle doon on ta yon platformy thing an sticky yon finnger oout

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Actually, joking aside, I find I understand what the Feegles are saying better if I read out loud.

I spent some time in Glasgow a few years ago and sometimes it was impossible to understand what people were saying. :eek:

Jarmara

Lance-Corporal
Aug 1, 2008
West Yorkshire
www.brisinga.co.uk
Not a Weegie (Glaswegian) but Scottish and willing to provide a translations service as required.

Problem with interpreting the Feegles is their 'scottish' tongue has been written by someone who doesn't actually speak it... Not that I'm defaming The Creator in anyway you understand.

Don't forget Verra, Verra Strong. Drinkin', Fightin' and Stealin'. They have been known to carry a coo (cow) or a ship (sheep) backwards very, very fast... often backwards and to the bewilderment of the animal.

They are known to cry "Oh Waily, Waily" when confronted with problems, such as "The Crossin' 'o' the Arms" "The Tappin' 'o' the Toes" and the dreaded "Pursin' 'o' the Lips" by Jeannie when they have come home late.

They were also thrown out of the underworld for being too rowdy.

I enjoy reading about Rob Anybody reading "Where's my Cow?" in front of his Kelda Jeannie and his new children watching in awe.

My Brother-in-law to be plays the Bagpipes, I can understand the feeling Tiffany must get when the Mousepipes are played.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
I think you'll find that the actions, if not the verbalisation of
Who's Wee Dug said:
"The Crossin' 'o' the Arms" "The Tappin' 'o' the Toes" and the dreaded "Pursin' 'o' the Lips"
are in fact universal in most female-dominated relationships and not just the domain of the Feegles nor indeed Scots of any persuasion... :p

You insignificant others stand no chance :twisted:

Omnia

Constable
May 28, 2009
Essex
I find the Feegles easier to understand if I read their parts aloud too, but this usually results in me falling into fits of giggles due to the voice that I give them :)

Aug 12, 2010
Bristol
I have to admit I struggled with the lingo in carpe jugulum . Thought considering been in scotland for the past 4 years with an idea how it should be I was very lost.
Appears to be a lot easier in the tiffany books though :)

could be a new gimmick make a dictionary of feegle to english with illustrations.

I have a scots to english dictionary somewhere do you think that would help?:laugh:

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
ghostsecurity28 said:
I have to admit I struggled with the lingo in carpe jugulum . Thought considering been in scotland for the past 4 years with an idea how it should be I was very lost.
Appears to be a lot easier in the tiffany books though :)

could be a new gimmick make a dictionary of feegle to english with illustrations.

I have a scots to english dictionary somewhere do you think that would help?:laugh:
Och aye hen it wid. :mrgreen: :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter