One Book Recommendation

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Oct 13, 2008
Devon
It is so unfair to only have one, there are so many I like, but this trilogy is good.......

Philip Pullman's Dark Materials.

Yes I know, it's three books, so, I'm a twit, but you do have to read them all to get the story.

WeeKelda said:
Dragons of the autumn twighlight by Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weiss. It's a brilliant book sort of David-Edddings-ish but better. It made me cry, in parts and laugh almost immediately after. I LOVED it ( though terry's book are still better, of course ) :laugh:
They are all very good, Weiss and Hickman are fantastic. I am not sure how many of you know that Margaret Weiss insisted that the characters Tasslehoff the Kender and Raistlin Majere had to be hers alone to write about. I found that to be pretty kewl.

Some of the Dragons are very scary, but a few are really, really kewl. I agree WeeKelda, that is a good choice.

The rat

Lance-Corporal
Apr 18, 2009
Bad Blintz
Tiffany said:
It is so unfair to only have one, there are so many I like, but this trilogy is good.......

Philip Pullman's Dark Materials.

Yes I know, it's three books, so, I'm a twit, but you do have to read them all to get the story.
I liked this series until about 1/2 way thru the last book. Just went too silly and preachy for me. Shame, had good potenial.

I would recommend World War Z, by Max Brooks (son of Mel Brooks) It is an account of what happended when the world was over run by zombies from key and not so key figures from before, during and after the 'war'. I don't knwo where he learned to write but the social breakdown of goverments, and people is so realistic to be scary! Great book. Had me up late most nights reading it. An off shoot to this book is the Zombie Survival Guide. B

I've just recently bought and read The Zombie Survival Guide and loved it, it was great fun. I'll have to remember to pick up a copy of World War Z the next time I'm in Newcastle.

I recommend Chase The Morning by Michael Scott Rohan; a bizarre - yet curiously effective - mixture of horror, fantasy, swashbuckling naval adventure and magical realism. A yuppy (remember those?) has his life turned upside down when he turns the wrong corner in his local dockyard and finds himself drawn into a shadow world of magic, adventure and horror. The three sequels are rather good as well, but I can't recommend them due to the rules.;) However, the first novel was initially written as a stand alone story, rather than the opening of a series so can be enjoyed in it's own right.

Feb 1, 2010
Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy - made me laugh almost as much as Wee Free Men. It's aimed at young adult readers (12+), but don't let that put you off - go on, brave the children's section of your library!

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
couldn't agree more - Blackadder from 2 onwards really perked up when Elton joined Richard Curtis to write the series. STARK was good as well - loved the concepts in that one and Inconceivable was just so realistic and funny-tragic for anyone who's gone down or been tempted by the IVF route :laugh:

Oct 4, 2009
nottinghamshire, uk
BeadyDragon said:
Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy - made me laugh almost as much as Wee Free Men. It's aimed at young adult readers (12+), but don't let that put you off - go on, brave the children's section of your library!
Thanks for the tip. I've got it, had a quick look, it looks great. That's my treat for tomorrow

Welcome to the forum, too.

Dec 15, 2008
Norway
Pooh, you really are cruel!

Right, if it have to be JUST ONE it'll have to be The killing kind by John Connolly.
I looooove the Charlie Parker, Louis and Angel trio :laugh:

Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy- By Douglas Adams

I just recently read the first,second,third and fourth ones in the trilogy and am now reading the last book .I think I will finish it today or tomorrow

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter