One Book Recommendation

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
"Lamb," by Christopher Moore. I'm not a practicing Christian, nor have ever been one, but Moore's hilarious and often very touching "alternate gospel" of Biff, Jesus' best friend, creates a far more appealing 'biography' of Jesus than the New Testament does.

J-I-B

Lt Dan

Lance-Constable
Aug 11, 2010
Druss was a great character and Legend is still my favourite book, (no disrespect to a certain other author :oops: ). I must have read it about 20 times now. :laugh:

Lt Dan

Lance-Constable
Aug 11, 2010
Jan Van Quirm said:
There were shades of Genghis Khan in there - well I thought so anyway
Methinks so too. There are also similarities in the story relating to his son Ogedei Khan and the siege of Vienna in 1241. :)

high eight

Lance-Corporal
Dec 28, 2009
The Back of Beyond
It would have to be something by Keith Roberts, but which one?

Probably either The Chalk Giants (interlinked stories about the rise of civilisation after an atomic war. Or maybe about the dreams, thoughts fears and fantasies of the protagonist of the first story. Who may be dead anyway.) Its a difficult read and relentlessly downbeat, but brilliantly written.

Or Kaeti and Company in which Roberts did seriously what Spike Milligan did for laughs in The Goon Show - created a group of characters (the most memorable if which is Kaeti herself) and then dropped them into different situations, some realistic and some fantastic (A ghost story, for example - another is an anti-captal punishment story parts of which read like Alan Moore's V). In the parts between the stories, Kaeti interacts with the author and reader, complains about her scrip for the next story and even flirts. In the last story, she walks out of the book and into the 'real' world. It's a fantastic tour-de-force of writing.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
My recomendation although its hard to tie myself down to one would be Philip K. Dick - The Man in the High Castle.

Its one of the best trouser leg of time type stories.
:laugh:

Sep 16, 2010
Cheery said:
Garfield. :laugh:

No, no I'm jus joking! Forget what I said, I didn't say anything...

I recommend "The Birthing House". Gives you the shivers, that book and it's full of scary moments and an incredible climax. (Gotta read more. What happens next? Gotta read MORE!) I'll give you the author's name, when I find the book again... If I find the book again.
Thanks for the post. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
kathleenp980 said:
Cheery said:
Garfield. :laugh:

No, no I'm jus joking! Forget what I said, I didn't say anything...

I recommend "The Birthing House". Gives you the shivers, that book and it's full of scary moments and an incredible climax. (Gotta read more. What happens next? Gotta read MORE!) I'll give you the author's name, when I find the book again... If I find the book again.
Thanks for the post. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter