One Book Recommendation

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
The Mad Collector said:
pip said:
My recomendation although its hard to tie myself down to one would be Philip K. Dick - The Man in the High Castle.

Its one of the best trouser leg of time type stories.
:laugh:
Philip K Dick is brilliant even if he was a bit of a Leonard of Quirm when it came to book titles.
Thats half the fun though.:laugh: :laugh:
Got into his books very recently after getting a complete collection for twenty euro.
Just starting Do androids dream of electric sheep and praying the title isn't the best bit.(Although i do love the film)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
poohcarrot said:
Tony, you can still go to the site using the signature on Dotsie's post. :rolleyes: ;)
I know - hence my rolling eyes emoticon. ;) I'd deleted the first link but was reluctant to edit Dotsie's as it would have made her post seem like nonsense.

Perhaps Dotsie could edit her post to read [link removed]? ;)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
pip said:
The Mad Collector said:
pip said:
My recomendation although its hard to tie myself down to one would be Philip K. Dick - The Man in the High Castle.

Philip K Dick is brilliant even if he was a bit of a Leonard of Quirm when it came to book titles.
Got into his books very recently after getting a complete collection for twenty euro.
Just starting Do androids dream of electric sheep and praying the title isn't the best bit.(Although i do love the film)
You should know by know then that 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep' is the book that the movie 'Blade Runner' was based on. I like the book and the movie. Even though they are somewhat different, I have always thought the book to be slightly better. :laugh:

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
I have a great special edition of Blade Runner and its one of my favourites and always meant to read the book. Sadly took til now to do so.
It's fantastic so far making your point of the book being better valid Tony. :laugh: :laugh:

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
pip said:
The Mad Collector said:
pip said:

If you like "Androids," go for his truly classic "psychedelic period" books: "Eye in the Sky," "The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch" and, most of all, his (in my mind) masterpiece, "UBIK," upon which that new movie about dreaming with Leonardo DiCaprio must partly be based on.
Also recommended are "Dr. Bloodmoney" and "Martian Time Slip." Unfortunately, the quality of Dick's work began to decline in the 1970s, when he began to simply retread the same themes into similar plots.

J-I-B

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
pip said:
The Mad Collector said:
pip said:

... Just starting Do androids dream of electric sheep and praying the title isn't the best bit.(Although i do love the film)
Forget about film - the book's essentially a completely different story with only a quick nod of acknowledgement here and there in the film. The Harrison Ford character's still the lead though and it fills in some confused gaps in the film - unfortunately mostly about Pelmanism :rolleyes: - but you do get the electric sheep bit! :laugh:

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Pooh, quit your jibber jabber. Link's gone. Although you'd have to be a bit of a lemon to want to click on it anyway :rolleyes:

If you want to read a book that is strange and unique I would recommend The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall

I picked this up on the Waterstones table of bestsellers/recommended books and I was pleasantly surprised. The first paragraph of the book had me gripped, I was reading it stood up in the shop for ten minutes. The plot is refreshingly difficult to predict - owing to the fact the crux of the story is obscure and at first bewildering. It is currently being screenplayed for film.

Not everyone will like it and at first glance it looks like some sort of Jason Bourne book / film, but veers off into a matrix-style concept. The story is certainly the first of it's kind and I do feel sorry for the poor bugger who has to bring it to screen without the whole idea being wasted and portrayed as ludicrous.

After finishing this book I was confused as to whether I was pissed off or satisfied. I like that mixed feeling, books don't often provoke it and I certainly like being surprised.

Anyway sorry for droning on, I always like to give a synopsis on anything I recommend because taste differs. Hope someone enjoys.

8)

high eight

Lance-Corporal
Dec 28, 2009
The Back of Beyond
pip said:
Unfortunately, the quality of Dick's work began to decline in the 1970s, when he began to simply retread the same themes into similar plots.

J-I-B
Oh, I dunno - 'Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said' and 'A Scanner Darkly' are quite good (if somewhat weird). After that, though, he began to lose touch with reality and his late stuff like 'Valis' makes my head hurt. :eek:

Verns

Lance-Corporal
Jun 19, 2010
London
Beautiful Dirt said:
If you want to read a book that is strange and unique I would recommend The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall
It's a cracker! I love that book, as I love any book that makes me think. One of my favourite literary blogs (Me and My Big Mouth if you want to google it) reviewed it recently and summed it up perfectly: 'Take a DVD of Jaws, a Murakami novel and Kid A by Radiohead, duct tape them together and put them in the microwave on full power. This is the book you'll get when it goes ding.' How could anyone resist?

Pooh, it is virtually impossible to pick just one book to recommend. I mean, what criteria should I use? I don't read much science fantasy or science fiction, but I assume (possibly wrongly) that they are popular genres on this forum, so I'll stick to that. There are perhaps a dozen books (other than DW) that I re-read practically every year because they are like saying hello to old friends, and that list contains one science fantasy and one science fiction. Jan's choice is on that list, so I won't pick that one, so my recommendation would be The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein.

Beyond Birthday

Lance-Corporal
Nov 11, 2010
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. It's a light novel (around two-hundred pages) and, in the US at least, is recommended for ages fourteen-and-up. In other words everyone here will be able to breeze through it. At the same, though, it's probably the only slice-of-life story that includes references to Hyperion and advanced mathematics. I don't want to reveal too much but think of it as a deconstruction of anime in general.

...okay, too vague. Umm...if you like anime or the more lighthearted Discworld novels then you'll probably like this one.

Beyond Birthday said:
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. It's a light novel (around two-hundred pages) and, in the US at least, is recommended for ages fourteen-and-up. In other words everyone here will be able to breeze through it. At the same, though, it's probably the only slice-of-life story that includes references to Hyperion and advanced mathematics. I don't want to reveal too much but think of it as a deconstruction of anime in general.

...okay, too vague. Umm...if you like anime or the more lighthearted Discworld novels then you'll probably like this one.
Do you mean this?

THAT.

My friend watches that.

I have chaned my recomendation. I now reccomend: Mistborn:The final empire by Branodn Sanderson.

It's a reeeeeaaaallly great read.
No, seriously.
To me, it really stands apart from other books of the "Fantasy with magic assaassin-people" genre. <- genre desription fail.

It's about a revolution, basically. Against a god. In a world where ash falls from the sky on a regular basis and the plants are brown.
but less lame than I make it sound.

Its funny in places but delivers double-whammy of a plot twist when you least expect it.

READ IT.

I have to admit:I cried for ages at one point.

But that's just me. And I am strange.

Beyond Birthday

Lance-Corporal
Nov 11, 2010
Yeah, that one. It started off as a series of light novels that are just now being released outside of Japan. It's original enough for people outside of their teens to enjoy. I mean, I once tried reading stuff like the Artemis Fowl sequels much later, only to find that the writing was too simplistic and childish for me. Less so with Haruhi Suzumiya. Though if you don't like anime humor, which seems to consist of one person yelling at another or pointing out flawed logic, then you won't like Haruhi Suzumiya.

User Menu

Newsletter