People who don't like Discworld!

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

bookworm 303

Lance-Constable
May 22, 2009
France
To introduce discworld to all my best friends I gave them one each as christmas present. And now (8 months later) :

-1 has been read by one friend who had already read and love discworld's novel. :)

-an other friend who has already read one and liked it hasn't started it but I have hope she will really soon.

-my best friend who only like books set in the present of our world (no anticipation or historical or fantastic books) started to read it and he promised me yesterday what he would not start the last amélie nothomb's book (his favourite author) before having finish guards! guards! He says he thinks it is good for fantastic. (isn't that nice of him? :laugh: )

-the 3 others didn't opened theirs. :(

otherwise I wore a discworld pin on my bag so all my classmates know what I like, some already knew and I tried nothing on the others

Cheery

Sergeant
Jun 22, 2009
Switzerland
jellymish-art.tumblr.com
MattK said:
Sjoerd3000 said:
poohbcarrot said:
Dotsie said:
Be honest though, if a book was recommended on this site would any of you read it?
To be honest, who actually "reads" all the posts on this site, especially the long ones? People might scan them, but very rarely does anyone actually read them and try to understand what the writer is trying to say.

Anyhow Dotsie, if you want, you tell me your bestest favourite book in the whole wide world ever, and I'll read it!

Don't forget, that the book you name will say an awful lot about the person you are, so are you ready to reveal that much about yourself to a perfect stranger?
Well if I may recomend books too ;) 3 books I think are just epic and not Discworld:
American Gods by Neil Gaiman
The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov(features a very cool cat)
The People's Act of Love by James Meek
I actually liked Neverwhere more than American Gods. I could go recommending books too, but a lot of what I read is non-fiction, so sometimes it can get pretty dry. But The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan is a good read. Of course, that might be the dietitian in me talking. :)
I think we have American Gods... somewhere.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Sjoerd3000 said:
I´ve read Neverwhere and I liked it :laugh: (haven't seen the tv-serie) But I liked American Gods more :laugh: (Besides Terry Gaiman is one of my favourite writers)
I don't know if it still is, but Neverwhere used to be available to watch on YouTube. ;)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Sjoerd3000 said:
Tonyblack said:
Sjoerd3000 said:
I´ve read Neverwhere and I liked it :laugh: (haven't seen the tv-serie) But I liked American Gods more :laugh: (Besides Terry Gaiman is one of my favourite writers)
I don't know if it still is, but Neverwhere used to be available to watch on YouTube. ;)
It still is :laugh: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MVDN2rSRyc
Those two thugs (I've forgotten their names) remind me of Mr Pin and Mr Tulip from The Truth. The actor who plays the talkative thug, Hywel Bennett was in a pub I was in one evening. He was really miserable and I hardly recognised him - and he was wearing slippers in the pub. :laugh:

Jul 20, 2009
Lelystad, The Netherlands
They are Mr. Croup and Mr. Vandemar(sounds a bit Dutch Van de Mar or Van Demar could be a Dutch last name ;) ) Bennet played Mr. Croup.
They do resemble Pin and Tulip but also the 2 thugs from Diamonds are forever and probably some more movie/novel thugs ;) .

On lspace Terry said about this:
"Fiction and movies are full of pairs of bad guys that pretty much equate to Pin and Tulip. They go back a long way. That's why I used 'em, and probably why Neil did too. You can have a trio of bad guys (who fill roles that can be abbreviated to 'the big thick one, the little scrawny one and The Boss') but the dynamic is different. With two guys, one can always explain the plot to the other..."

http://www.lspace.org/books/apf/the-truth.html

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
Dotsie said:
Be honest though, if a book was recommended on this site would any of you read it? If anyone here raves about a book I order it from the library, & I know Chris has read books I've recommended, but is there anyone else?
Me! I've read books recommended here and on the DW stamps forum.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Good girl! See pooh, some people make the effort. And you are so mean! Obviously I'll putting some thought into my reply :twisted:

The rat

Lance-Corporal
Apr 18, 2009
Bad Blintz
My brother wanted to know about all those books on my shelfs one day and wanted to take a stab at them, so I gave him G!G!'s and he hated it.

Now you have to understand that he is a Chemistry Teacher who has a PHD from Georgetown University and teaches at Exeter Highschool (THE highschool in the US, which has had supreme court justices as alumni. I know that and 5 cents will get you a cup of coffee as the saying goes) and he was VERY annoyed at the footnotes. Said that footnotes should only be in texts and manuals. Fiction is fiction and if it cannot be explained in the flow of story it should be left out!

I said to him. LOOSEN UP! and HAVE SOME FUN! geez! But then again he listens to Rush Limbaugh and agrees with most of what he says.

My freind (the one who puts chedder on sphagetti) took one look at a Discworld and thold me that she thought them boring. The following conversation went something like this:
Me:"Why?"
her"Oh, I read one once"
Me "Which one?"
" I've forgotten"
Me "What was it about?"
"How am I supposed to know?"

As you can tell, she isn't a very good liar.

Beth

Lance-Corporal
Aug 18, 2009
Godalming, Surrey
www.bethworlds.com
Just coming new into this thread and have read only the first page of posts so far. I'll look at the rest later. To address the original theme of the thread though I've gotten quite a few people started on Pratchett and Discworld. The only person that didn't like them was my older brother because like many people he dismissed the first few as they are such quick reads To be honest they are all quick reads but...BUT...that's because you don't at first realize the many things happening in the text along with the story itself. The puns, the references etc don't all get realized until many many readings have gone bye. I've sent him some later books in the series and he enjoyed them more and he loved Nation. I've started both my kids reading Discworld and my son is a huge fan. He told me to hug Terry next time I see him just for creating Sam Vimes. :laugh: My daughter also likes them and we're fond of quoting the books to each other. My mom has read a few and I need to get some more for her. I've now started my son's girlfriend. The trouble is that I keep giving the books away and I have to be careful not to accidentally give away a signed copy! I don't mind buying them again though it irks me to go to the bookcase to get one and then remember I've given it to someone.

I do read books that people recommend. I think the best recommendation that I've had lately was a book called "In Spite of the Gods" the strange rise of modern India by Edward Luce. Excellent book and I couldn't put it down. After five years a few things that have driven me nuts were finally explained. I've also read Neverwhere and The Graveyard Book recently. I liked Neverwhere and I also liked The Graveyard Book except that I felt it had a shabby and incomplete ending. Too much was left completely and ridiculously unexplained I thought. I didn't realize until afterwards that it was his version of The Jungle Book. Doh.

Nov 5, 2009
Post subject: People who don't like Discworld!

i think enjoyment of the books depends on age, state of mind, and receptiveness of the reader.
I bought Colour of Magic on spec in my 20s and loved it! Bought every-Pratchett-thing as soon as I found it. Loved the Truckers trilogy, the awesome Good Omens, pre-discworld sci-fi, etc but couldn't quite get my young daughters into them. Still they were fascinated by the Josh Kirby Discworld covers, especially the "headology" explanations I offered for the cover details. Now 20-somethings, they have devoured the Discworld books and my 70-something mother enjoyed a couple of the books over a weekend. Terry's greatest asset is his ability to tap into current issues, with a funny, non-preachy (and usually spot-on accurate) take.

kakaze

Lance-Corporal
Jun 3, 2009
I was just talking about Pratchett with a friend yesterday, and she said that she didn't "get" his humor.

It turns out that she simply refuses to actually read books and listens to them on tape instead. Now, I've never listed to a Pratchett book on tape before, but I can see how a lot of the puns would not be so funny in audio.

Some people. :rolleyes:

Oct 10, 2009
italy-genova
(just passing by, reading something) I only recommended Pratchett once, to a friend of mine I was SURE would have loved it. I told her to buy it, she did it and after that started reading all the other books.
I never recommended DW books to any other because I knew they wouldn't like it, they have a thing about fantasy, as if it's a kind of stupid thing for children. I know it so i don't even try.
We all love Discworld and all Pratchett's work, but other than that we have different taste, so I would first try to understand what kind of things a person likes, and try to establish if our tastes are similar.

My baby sis has read some Pratchett, and while she gets the jokes there is such an abundance of them that it overwhelms her. I am going to give her Nation to read when I go out there for Christmas.

She has seen a couple of the movies with her husband and they don't live up to the books, so I can see where tapes would not do it for me. I re-read them obsessively and even use little post-it note flags for what I find amusing during each read, they look like little porcupines/hedgehogs when I am finished.

janet

Sergeant
Nov 14, 2009
North East England
My brother gave me The Colour of Magic to read saying, 'You'll like this'. He wasn't wrong. Many years later and I try to resist buying each book as it's published....and fail.
Other people's reading habits are a bit of a mystery and we can't push our taste without meeting resistance. A great many people just don't read books at all. How many have a TV in the bedroom? I don't. I read in bed and the pictures in my head are more vivid and colourful than any TV crap.....which it is mostly isn't it? Also a great many people, more than you'd think, are only literate to a basic degree even though they can busk their way through everyday life, reading a novel might be a step too far.
I operate a book exchange with a dear friend who I only see occasionally but we manage to keep each other entertained. It's currently her turn to supply the literature but when it's mine I'm going to try her with a DW book..........but which one? I'm leaning towards Wyrd Sisters.
Discuss? o_O
Afterthought: I tried listening to Guards! Guards! as dramatised on Radio 7. Oh dear :rolleyes:

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Good choice or maybe Guards,Guards for Carrot who I found very funny.

I've listened to some of the audio books but I prefer the unabridged versions, as I seldom really listen to radio online or not I keep missing them.

So it was not a very good adaptation then.

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter