People who don't like Discworld!

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Tonyblack said:
Guards! Guards! is a great choice as it really introduces the new reader to Ankh-Morpork. :laugh:
That's what I started Mr D on, I thought it would appeal to his manliness(and I think it worked ;) )

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
I am so glad I never started with any of the Rincewind books, Pyramids or Small Gods, since I never would have finished any of them and would never have picked up another.

I wouldn't recommend any of the early or "one-off" books (other than Thief of Time) to a DW newbie. They're just not that compelling or interesting.

Just because I was only reading the books I could find at the library, I started with TOT and was just hooked immediately even though I knew nothing about DW at that time. Fortunately, I chose "The Fifth Elephant" as my next book and that cemented the deal. I was far more forgiving of(yet much more disappointed by) the early novels, but reading the later books first really helped show how far PTerry had come from those initial books, when he seemed to be aiming merely to be the Douglas Adams of fantasy.

Jeff in Boston

I am quite glad that I discovered Monsewer Pratchett on my own. If I had Your example to follow, I should have my nose stuck so far up ... oh we'll pass on where, that I should possibly never have read Any of his work. Oh, Jeff in Boston, by the way... don't ever even think about The Last Continent. I am sure your chunk blowing would be heard in IL or by all the gods forfend in RI next month, where I will happily be staying with two Midwestern family members. Make sure NOT to go near its' borders or you may be tainted with Rincewind like. I find him amusing and his luggage no end of fascination.

Tina in Byron

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
Don't worry about it Tina! :laugh: Everyone's allowed to have their own opinion. It would be a sad world if everyone thought the same.

Some people take TP seriously, while others (like you and I) read TP because it makes us laugh.

Jeffinboston doesn't like Rincewind. That's his opinion. He's entitled to it.

However, Jeffinboston also believes that boston is the best place in the multiverse to live, whereas I could think of at least one million better places I'd rather live. This leads me to believe his opinion is somewhat flawed, and should be taken with, at most, a pinch of salt. :p

i found it from my bro. HE had two of tehm lying around. That was when i was 8. Luckily i didnt get teh bit about street walkers in feet of clay at that time.

I tried one of my friends on it. Since it was hogfather and that probably wasnt a good choice for a first he crashed, burned and the rest of him died after 3 pages of philosophical nadder.

Then he started reading wintersmith.
He should be coming on this site soon when he remembers :laugh: .

I know some people who really dont like pratchett. They're called politicians.

In my opinion, books can be readily compared to cars: Things like Harry Potter, Twilight, and so on, are mass produced and appeal to a wide audience, like a Ford Fiesta or something like that. Meanwhile, a Pratchett novel is a bit like an antique Mercedes: It's built to excellent standards, and exceptionally rare, (It's so hard for me to find a Discworld book in a bookshop or local library).
The analogy breaks down when you get to 'why people don't like it'.
I think the most likely problem is that people expect 'fantasy' type fantasy, whereas Pratchett fantasy is totally unique, and some people just aren't prepared to accept change. I still maintain that the Discworld novels are the best thing I have ever read (Not just post-reading hype either), but some people are just too narrow-minded to accept something as wonderfully satirical, absurd and ingenius as the Discworld.

Phew, sorry about that! When I join a forum I have a habit of going around and posting in any subjects that interest me. :\

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
poohcarrot said:
However, Jeffinboston also believes that boston is the best place in the multiverse to live, whereas I could think of at least one million better places I'd rather live. This leads me to believe his opinion is somewhat flawed, and should be taken with, at most, a pinch of salt. :p
To quote the late (and in this quarter, not fondly remembered) Ronald Reagan:

"Thereeeeeeeee you go again."

Contrary to what must have been your temporary susceptibility to either a case of quanta or a substance-enhanced delusion, never once did I make such a claim about Boston being the hub of the universe or the center of western civilization. Nor in any shape or form did I ever say that Boston's champion sports teams, world-class universities, high standards of healthcare, 4-star restaurants, close proximity to some of the finest beaches in the country, and aggressive tax breaks for companies wishing to take advantage of the state's highly educated workforce and locate their manufacturing or office facilities to some of our widely available and attractively priced economic development zones make it the best place in the multiverse to live.

However, I will not deny that it is quite possible that I did claim that Boston is a better place to live than any nation, state or city that would grant residency to Poohcarrot. :p

Jeff in Bawwwwwssten

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit said:
Oh, Jeff in Boston, by the way... don't ever even think about The Last Continent. I am sure your chunk blowing would be heard in IL or by all the gods forfend in RI next month.

Tina in Byron
Actually, TLC was the only Rincewind novel that I liked. Probably because my Ozophlia is only matched by my Anglophilia.

Not sure what part of RI you're going to (hell, the whole state only takes like 15 minutes to drive thorugh), but if you're heading Newportway (and if you got to RI it's almost the law that you have to), you may want to take a little side trip to Tivertown, RI, a very quaint little neighborhood with a local winery, several very nice art galleries and antique stores, and, most importantly, Gray's Ice Cream, quite possibly the best ice cream in the entire multiverse. May want to call ahead to see if the town is open this time of year.

Jeff in Boston

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
Jeffinboston - page 4 TOT discussion said:
There will always be an England, but there will only ever be one Boston--the Hub of The Universe (and all Multiverses).
Jeffinboston said:
Contrary to what must have been your temporary susceptibility to either a case of quanta or a substance-enhanced delusion, never once did I make such a claim about Boston being the hub of the universe or the center of western civilization.
WHOOPS! :oops:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
You think I can remember that from another thread over 4 weeks ago? :laugh:

Like you said the other day some place else - too many threads and not enough time or effort available. And anyway what makes you think I read everything you post (fascinating though this may be) - I'm only returning the compliment after all smartypants ;)

User Menu

Newsletter