People who don't like Discworld!

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
poohcarrot said:
Jeffinboston - page 4 TOT discussion said:
There will always be an England, but there will only ever be one Boston--the Hub of The Universe (and all Multiverses).
Jeffinboston said:
Contrary to what must have been your temporary susceptibility to either a case of quanta or a substance-enhanced delusion, never once did I make such a claim about Boston being the hub of the universe or the center of western civilization.
WHOOPS! :oops:
OOOOpsie! Nominate Poohcarrot for "gotcha" of the year.

Okay, to my very feegle (pun intended) defense, there's a big difference between stating that a place is the "hub of the universe" and that it is the best place to live in.

For example, there are many who state that New York City is the greatest city in the world, and I wouldn't necessarily argue against that claim (even though, as a Bawstonian, I'm a lifelong anti-NYer). But, unless you've Trump-rich, it would be hard to say it's the best place to live.

Likewise, unless you're into prohibitively high real estate prices, horrible winters, corrupt state government, losing presidential candidates, funny talking people and battling the world's scariest and selfish drivers on pot-hole line roads, the cerebral attractions of Boston may be far outweighed by the challenges living here poses to the average mortal.

Jeff in Bawssssssssten

kakaze

Lance-Corporal
Jun 3, 2009
raisindot said:
For example, there are many who state that New York City is the greatest city in the world, and I wouldn't necessarily argue against that claim (even though, as a Bawstonian, I'm a lifelong anti-NYer). But, unless you've Trump-rich, it would be hard to say it's the best place to live.
I'd vote for Chivay, Peru, except that I'd go insane if I tried to live there. Maybe when I'm 80...

raisindot said:
Likewise, unless you're into [SNIP] the world's scariest and selfish drivers on pot-hole line roads.
Worst drivers? That's a very debatable statement. I think the Chinese are much worse drivers than any in America, and the drivers I saw in Peru made the Chinese look good!

kakaze

Lance-Corporal
Jun 3, 2009
Jan Van Quirm said:
London Royal Mail vans as well. They're total b*st*rds - even bus and taxi drivers get out of the way :devil:
I was in a taxi cab in Ariquipa once. we were traveling down a 4 lane highway, and the taxi driver passed between two cars that were traveling the same way. Now, I've done this before on my motorcycle, but I've never seen lane-sharing done in a taxi before!

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
raisindot said:
Contrary to what must have been your temporary susceptibility to either a case of quanta or a substance-enhanced delusion, never once did I make such a claim about Boston being the hub of the universe or the center of western civilization. Nor in any shape or form did I ever say that Boston's champion sports teams, world-class universities, high standards of healthcare, 4-star restaurants, close proximity to some of the finest beaches in the country,

However, I will not deny that it is quite possible that I did claim that Boston is a better place to live than any nation, state or city that would grant residency to Poohcarrot.
So the first bit was untrue.

The Red Sox only won last year because of Dice K - a japanese pitcher. They lost this year coz Dice K was injured.
And anyway, baseball is a minority sport that isn't even included in the London Olympics. More people in the world play cricket than baseball.
And I won't even bother talking about the US version of "football".

Yesterday the Michelin guides for 2010 were published. Tokyo is regarded as the gourmet city of the world.

http://www.canada.com/life/food/Tokyo+c ... story.html

So how many Boston restaurants make the Michelin guide? ;)

I had a tooth pulled out recently at the dentist. I felt no pain whatsoever and didn't even need the pain killers I was given. It cost me $10. Is Boston as cheap?

So I have been granted residency in the gourmet city of the world, where nobody carries a gun, it is clean, it is safe, has the best baseball team in the world (Japan are the reigning world baseball champions, so the world series is obviously the name of the Japan series), and where healthcare is cheap and second to none (Japanese live longer than anyone else)

I'd rather live here thankyou very much. :laugh:

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Manchestaaah! Best city in the world! Yeah! Nice one!

If I had to explain why, no-one would get it anyway. But it gets inside your soul (and I'm an atheist).

8)

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
poohcarrot said:
raisindot said:
The Red Sox only won last year because of Dice K - a japanese pitcher. They lost this year coz Dice K was injured.
And anyway, baseball is a minority sport that isn't even included in the London Olympics. More people in the world play cricket than baseball.
And I won't even bother talking about the US version of "football".
Sir, I don't even know where to begin on this, so I'll just start with your mistakes.

First of all the Red Sox did NOT win the World Series last year. They have not won the World Series since 2007. They have not made it past the American League championship series since 2008. They didn't even get past the first round this year.

And Dice K has nothing to do with it. He stunk last year and stunk this year. Being on the injured reserve list did nothing this year other than save him from having twice as many losses as wins. He is turning out to be the worst-performing investment in baseball history, totally untradeable because no one would even think of paying his astronomical salary. But that's not why the Sox lost this year, since they other great pitchers who took up Dice K's slack. They lost because they couldn't get a hit in the playoffs, were wracked with injuries to players that mattered, and simply didn't have the will to win. Which is just as well, because no one was going to beat the Yankees this year.

Fortunately, however, Boston doesn't have to rely on baseball alone for its status as the best sports town in America. Three Super Bowls and an NBA championship do count for a little bit around here.

As for your claims about Tokyo---no comment, other than I would prefer to live in a place where a piece of fruit doesn't cost $10. And as for your desire to stay there, I certainly hope you do so. I truly do thank Japan for giving you residency. Someplace had to. :p

Jeff in Boston

Oh be quiet. The Thread is People who don't like Discworld. Jeff, you come across as a pompous, self-centered, jackrabbit, whose sole intention in posting is to "win" a conversation which makes no sense. I shall forgive you, in advance, for the rant I shall undoubtedly recieve for saying this but HUSH, you are hurting my eyes.

I generally enjoy this forum when well thought out points are made, or the hilarious aside is tossed out for viewing. This however, is just ranting about nothing. Start a thread called "raisindot vs. poohcarrot" for goodness sakes and we can choose to read whether or not you like Tokyo fruit. I, for one, like where "I" live. Most people do, excepting my sister and her husband who are forced to live in or near Rhode Island. They considered Boston, and thankfully have decided against that. We live where we live... It is, what it is and that, is THAT!

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
*nods at Tina* Off topic can be a wild and wonderful ride but "I don't like being anywhere other than Boston" (or near Tokyo come to that) isn't really that enthralling or indeed inventive o_O

Although.... "I don't like Cornwall" just now - it's blowing a bloody hurricane virtually down here to the extent that I made the dog come in as I thought he was going to be shredded through the garden fence earlier :eek:

Jan Van Quirm said:
*nods at Tina* Off topic can be a wild and wonderful ride but "I don't like being anywhere other than Boston" (or near Tokyo come to that) isn't really that enthralling or indeed inventive o_O

Although.... "I don't like Cornwall" just now - it's blowing a bloody hurricane virtually down here to the extent that I made the dog come in as I thought he was going to be shredded through the garden fence earlier :eek:
Oh dear, I just had the oddest picture of Tom and Jerry and Tom in slices.

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
In order to try and stop another American breaking out civil war, I'd just like to say;

TIME OUT

I'm not a moderator and I'm p*ssed (ie; drunk coz I know you Yanks think p*ssed means angry)

I believe Jeffinboston is a very funny guy. I hope he doesn't leave because of what I'm about to say but;

He is also a pompous, superior, know-it-all.

Tina had every right to have a go at him for his comments about early TP books and Rincewind. If Jeffinboston had prefaced his opinions with "I think..." it wouldn't be a problem. But he didn't. It's "this is right and anyone who thinks differently is wrong".

I'm sure Tina will accept his apologies for being a condescending twit and we'll all live happily ever after.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit said:
... I shall forgive you, in advance, for the rant I shall undoubtedly recieve for saying this but HUSH, you are hurting my eyes....

... We live where we live... It is, what it is and that, is THAT!
No worries pooh dear - Tina's already done it and it's put to bed with no (or very little) sulking ;)

Now - People who don't like Discworld... are missing out on something fantastic and should be treated gently as it's pointless telling them they have no imagination or soul and a pitiful, narrow and decrepit sense of humour. :twisted: Let's not blame them for this - if everyone was a Pterry fan how could we all stand out so shiney, perky and happy in a sea of mediocre and lustreless drudgeland tomes where partial or wholly recycled long-standing traditions and tired old mythic mores bring on yer athsma 'cos of the dust avalanche every time you turn a page. Places where everyone has an unassailable Cinderella complex and heroes are forced to overcome the Dragons of Banal and Pointless Geas and keep on apologising for their evil but noble ancestral stereoptypes that nobody else gives a rats arse about...

... as for those who castigate fantasy altogether as 'fluff' and weird juvenile comics - leave them to their trite coffee table books that are there as aesthetic furniture and never opened to read for the 'wonderful photography' is all they can aspire to discuss. :laugh:

We do not have to launch a jihad against such feeble and closed unfortunates do we? The prophet has shown the way - belief in reality is fleeting and uncertain. It is what you make of it and if others spurn the unreal playthings of the mind and ideas that take form in the imagination out of a chaotic and unmindful multiverse - then it's just tough on them! :p

User Menu

Newsletter