People who don't like Discworld!

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Oct 10, 2009
italy-genova
I've missed quite a debate it... fortunately I think :laugh:
Well I don't know anyone who doesn't like Pratchett. I know many people that don't want to try it because they snob fantasy as a children-thing, so they don't even count.
Those who have read his books have loved it.. but i know only 2 people.. guess there's quite a lot of the snob-people around.. but i don't care and I've always a Pratchett's book in my purse or sometimes in my hands when I go out :laugh:

I tried discworld on quite a few of my friends. I think the boring prologue's put them off. I think the Tiffany AChing series are better for weaning younger people onto it.
Mind you, one guy in my class last year said that 'WIntersmith' was really boring adn that its' "what, just some story about a stupid girl who's a witch". The 'girl' might have put him off.

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
I've lent a few Discworld books to friends only to have them returned with comments along the lines of "I didn't get it/enjoy it/understand the references (to other authors such as Shakespeare, H. P. Lovecraft, Fritz Lieber)", etc. Maybe being a bit more widely read over a variety of subjects and genres helps to understand the satire?

However, I have had more success lending the non-Discworld books in that I've lost numerous copies of Good Omens and The Unadulterated Cat from persons who 'forgot' to return them, despite handing back the others.

It's probably best to read a bit of mediocre fantasy before reading Discworld books... just so that you understand exactly how satirical it is.

Now - People who don't like Discworld... are missing out on something fantastic and should be treated gently as it's pointless telling them they have no imagination or soul and a pitiful, narrow and decrepit sense of humour. Let's not blame them for this - if everyone was a Pterry fan how could we all stand out so shiney, perky and happy in a sea of mediocre and lustreless drudgeland tomes where partial or wholly recycled long-standing traditions and tired old mythic mores bring on yer athsma 'cos of the dust avalanche every time you turn a page. Places where everyone has an unassailable Cinderella complex and heroes are forced to overcome the Dragons of Banal and Pointless Geas and keep on apologising for their evil but noble ancestral stereoptypes that nobody else gives a rats arse about...

... as for those who castigate fantasy altogether as 'fluff' and weird juvenile comics - leave them to their trite coffee table books that are there as aesthetic furniture and never opened to read for the 'wonderful photography' is all they can aspire to discuss.
Ditto.

Jan 2, 2009
Well, The first Discworld book I read was Lords and Ladies, I was a bit dubious at first, although many friends raved about them. The thing which put me off, making me think they were for juveniles was Josh Kirby's* covers.

Once I got past the covers, I found a vastly entertaining world of possibilities. Serves me right for judging books by covers, but, in all things, first impresions Do count.

The newer covers, Paul Kidby and the photographic covers are much more appealing to me personally, and hhpefully will bring many new folk into the Pratchett fold.

Cheers, Vena

* Nothing wrong with Josh Kirby's artwork, BTW, I have some of the covers in poster form, and they are great, but as covers they really put me off the books.

Moist von Lipwig

Lance-Constable
Jan 21, 2010
Ankh-Morpork
I am happy I convinced my mother to reeading Terry. She was..."afraid" of him, she told me that couple of times. First book she has read was Hogfather and she was depressed she doesn't understand. She would start to not liking Terry but I gave her Mort.

unseenu

Lance-Corporal
Feb 19, 2010
Hull,uk
i confess i was given a discworld novel when i was very young and didn't take to it(i think it was carpe juggulum).I read the description of great atuin but when i tried to read the rest i found i couldn't understand any of it.

But then when i was a little bit older i saw the light when i saw a big cardboard display case in the school library which said "Surrender to Pratchett",not wanting to disobey an order :laugh: i checked out Equal Rites and loved it.Thats how i got started with Terry Pratchett.I still have the book i was given and never read properly somewhere,i will read it and hopefully understand it this time if its ever found.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
unseenu said:
i confess i was given a discworld novel when i was very young and didn't take to it(i think it was carpe juggulum).I read the description of great atuin but when i tried to read the rest i found i couldn't understand any of it.

But then when i was a little bit older i saw the light when i saw a big cardboard display case in the school library which said "Surrender to Pratchett",not wanting to disobey an order :laugh: i checked out Equal Rites and loved it.Thats how i got started with Terry Pratchett.I still have the book i was given and never read properly somewhere,i will read it and hopefully understand it this time if its ever found.
Welcome to the site unseenu! :laugh:

I'm glad you gave Terry a second chance.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Welcome unseenu :laugh: Carpe Jugulum is very good, but only after you've read the other witch books that come before it I should think.

GrannyWeatherwax

Lance-Constable
Oct 15, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I've managed to get a few friends (including distant Facebook friends) into reading Discworld books recently. Being involved in the next Aussie convention has made me into a bit of a fanatic about wanting people to understand why I love them so much.

that said I have been completely unsuccessful in getting ANY of my family to read Discworld books. My Mum read one, and didn't get it, my husband doesn't read (he'd rather go fishing), my teenage sons think its slightly embarassing to have a Mum that dresses as a witch and goes to conventions (I'm not allowed t mention it in front of their friends - even the ones that do Cosplay).

Basically my love of Discwold is treated as 'Sue's strange little hobby' and all my UK family thinks its weird that I would come to the UK to visit them and deliberately arrange the visit to coicide with DWCON 2010.

little does my Lancashire mother-in-law know, but when I'm dressed as Granny I channel her personality......

i lent my 14 year old neice the colour of magic (she's such a book worm bless her) and she loved it and is giving me her pocket money to buy her more each week. yet her mum who again is a book worm didnt like it at all and said she couldnt understand or follow the story. i guess it only appeals to them who like these kind of novels :rolleyes:

Nov 3, 2009
Finland
Once again my love of Dicsowrld has been rudely overlooked. Well, I say overlooked... :rolleyes:

My parents agreed to buy me Discworld stuff (Tshirt, mug etc.) for my gradution present. But when we were about to finalize the purchase my dad goes "Are you sure you'll still be interested in all this stuff in a few years time?"

Grrr. :devil: This is not a phase, people. And I will personally repport the next person who suggests otherwhise to the Patrician as a mime. Beware... ;)

User Menu

Newsletter