So Which Discworld Characters Don't You Like?

Welcome to the Official Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the official Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Dec 31, 2008
Japan
Tony doesn't like Carrot, Tiffany doesn't like Vetinari and I don't like Colon.

So who don't you like and why?

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Rincewind. He's such a bloody drama queen it gets right on my nerves. He wants to show some backbone, & put a bit of effort in!

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Do you know I can't think of one character that I do hate/dislike? :laugh:

Offhand I'd say maybe Vorbis (Small Gods) or Dios (Pyramids)but again they're also victims in a certain light and I do kind of feel sorry for them at some point in the books - so I don't really hate them as such as they HAVE to be so horrible to make the story work :eek:

Rincewind I have to agree with Dotsie is bloody irritating at times, but cowardice is a survival instinct and he is pretty funny (and sensible too) so I don't dislike him at all.

Jul 26, 2008
Finland
Reacher Gilt. Yeah, I know you're supposed to hate him. I guess that makes him a bad guy but a good character.

Jul 26, 2008
Im like chris, i dont really dislike any character but if i had to say one i reckon its Moist, dunno why just something about him...... cant put it in words, maybe the name? i think its a feeling rather than anything else about him and cringe dosnt come into it. :) And i better just add i think making money is one of Terrys better books, i enjoyed it.

Jan 2, 2009
I dislike several characters, but as they are necessary for the stories, I'll tolerate them. Simon in Equal Rites is one I have no time for--he's so wet!

Cheers, Vena

Kade

Lance-Constable
Jan 26, 2009
South Africa
Agree with Chris and Disc-holic I like everyone, although if i had to pick someone it would be Strappi from Monstrous Regiment :(

Captain Carrot - unless Terry does something spectacular with his character I am afraid I am going to find him a bore, and surely with all the time he's spent in Ankh, he should be slightly corrupted by now, especially with Nobby Nobbs around him most of the time.

Ponder Stibbons - Not going into reasons for this one but suffice it to say, I don't like him. I find him a little too scientific for my taste.

Annagramma - can Tiffany please punch her? She deserves it!

That's it so far.

Mar 8, 2009
Yeah, the Strappster and Anagramma are annoying characters, but they're meant to be :)

I don't particularly like Agnes Nitt or Perdita, but I can tolerate them. There aren't any characters I loathe.

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
poohbcarrot said:
Tony doesn't like Carrot, Tiffany doesn't like Vetinari and I don't like Colon.

So who don't you like and why?
Since I posted that I have re-read several of the books he's in & I am now revising my judgement, he isn't that bad, but Slant is horrible, deliberately I'm sure & Strappi too.
I will personal punch Annagramma, if I have anything to do with her again & she deserves it. :laugh: :laugh:
I like everyone else, they all have character. :laugh:

feanor

Lance-Corporal
May 24, 2009
Ayup All...

I hate CMOT Dibbler... Wrong Character, wrong books, wrong feel, wrong everything. The only thing 'Good' i can think of him, is that he sounds and looks like English Actor Michael Robbins, who played 'Arthur' in 'On the Buses'.

And Moist Von Lipwig. KILL, KILL,KILL...

Slant... tis the whole Lawyer thingy, I agree with Chaucer and Shakespeare (whomever he really was) "First, let's kill all the lawyers."

As for Vetinari, I have a grudging respect for him and like his ways, in a way. He makes the city of A-M work, and he truly likes Leonard da Quirm. Anyone who protects and has tea with Leonard and has an elderly dog named Wuffles cannot be ALL bad. :twisted:

superfurryandy

Lance-Corporal
Apr 29, 2009
Ena's Feld
I like Vetinari, if you have to have a bastard running things then you could do much worse, and he's much better than a king! :laugh:

Dibbler I always imagine could be played by Phil Daniels, but I also have him down for Nobby, so...

Book of the Month

Moving Pictures

"Holy wood is a different sort of place. People act differently here. Everywhere else the most important things are gods or money or cattle. Here, the most important thing is to be important."

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter