So Which Discworld Characters Don't You Like?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Dec 31, 2008
Japan
Who's Wee Dug said:
Vetinari,the sneeky swine someone you definately can't trust and a bully I don't like bully's not someone you want guarding your back.
In Nightwatch at the fight at the end (in the past time), Vetinari waded in on behalf of Vimes and killed 4 of the baddies. I'd have him guarding my back.

Apr 27, 2009
Atop a mountain in Cumbria
How can you not like Vetinari ? - he is just so cool - I love the way he's got Leonard of Quirm happily shut away for his own safety.

- and I love the stuff in nightwatch when he's at the guild of Assassins re he can blend into the background - and I especially love it when he tigerises Downey (the Lag!) for throwing his book on the fire

Trish

Corporal
Apr 23, 2009
Wintersville, Ohio
I don't like the ones you're not supposed to: Dios, Vorbis, Strappi, like so.

Rincewind gets to me; he whines. He is good to the Librarian, though.

The Guild leaders, all of them, don't like any of them.

I don't particularly care for Moist, he's a too slick. 100 years ago he'd've been selling snake oil. Might as well have "stockbroker" (much worse than any lawyer) tattoed on his forehead.
You'd think Spike would have better sense....

Trish said:
:mental head slap:
The Auditors. No sense of humor, no sense of style and out to get Death.
They Are pretty bad, and nasty sneaky buggers. Tis quite cute when they pop out of existence if they say "I" or "Me" Muahahahaha :twisted:

I truly do Not like Mrs. Earwig though. She is pretentious, sneaky AND rich. I can't be having with that. :twisted: Any one or two of the three, but not all three.

Rose

May 16, 2009
Serbia
Jan Van Quirm said:
Do you know I can't think of one character that I do hate/dislike? :laugh:

Offhand I'd say maybe Vorbis (Small Gods) or Dios (Pyramids)but again they're also victims in a certain light and I do kind of feel sorry for them at some point in the books - so I don't really hate them as such as they HAVE to be so horrible to make the story work :eek:

Rincewind I have to agree with Dotsie is bloody irritating at times, but cowardice is a survival instinct and he is pretty funny (and sensible too) so I don't dislike him at all.
And I must add I must add Christine, annoying, but the book would not be the same without her.

feanor

Lance-Corporal
May 24, 2009
Ayup...

Funnily enuff, since watching the TV version of 'Going Postal' (except for the awful Andrew Sachs as Mr. Groat), I absolutely Love Moist and his doppelganger Richard Coyle. when I first lost Sky TV two years ago, I really missed watching Going Postal. wonder if its on Catchup TV. Claire Foy as Adorabelle, well, is.

feanor

Lance-Corporal
May 24, 2009
The Mad Collector said:
feanor said:
I really missed watching Going Postal. wonder if its on Catchup TV.
You can get the DVD brand new for less than £3 including postage on Amazon
Ayup MC...

And I almost did ! I ended up getting it on blu-ray, (and Its the ONLY blu-ray I own as yet.) I still haven't bought Raising steam as yet as I still had (a lack of one) job issues. I have however, recently rejoined the 'work' community, and this job is one I'm gonna keep for a while LOL. The 12 hr nights when I start them are gonna give me lots of time to re-read all my Discworld... Just like the old days when I first discovered Terry.

feanor

Lance-Corporal
May 24, 2009
Ayup...

Oh, and can you add Geoffrey and mephistopheles. WTF is going on there ? I thought we'd had a 'Jesus' Invasion for a moment there. (and I'm a believer before you all jump on me).

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I agree with Mad. That's twice now that I've had to add spoiler tags to your post, feanor. If you want to make comments about a book that others haven't read yet, please use the topic that has been created for that purpose.

feanor

Lance-Corporal
May 24, 2009
Ayup Tony and TMC.

I do apologise. :oops: I am not doing this on purpose, just following the thread titles. :doh:

I dont know how I can follow them and comment without upsetting SOMEONE. I mean, some of the details of the book are more than out there, so what can I do ? How long do I have to wait before I can 'safely' comment ? I too was hot to get TSC straight away and once I had it, sat down almost immediately and read the first half. Stopping at Two in the morning. I subsequently finished it the next day.

I do appreciate that some of you will want to curl up with your gold-sheathed Limited editions and read a sentence a day and cry buckets over Terry, But i'm afraid it wont bring him back. He IS dead. six months ago if you believe what you read in the papers. But TSC is Terrys book. Read it, enjoy it, cry. Then remember that he Aten't Quite dead...

Just remember the Bees, Like he wants you to.

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
I think the simple answer, to be on the safe side, is that if it involves Shepherds Crown in any way, post it in that thread instead which allows spoilers. I'm sure I will finish it in one day as well when I eventually buy it next week (or the week after depending on my cash flow) and I would hazard a guess that spoilers won't be an issue by October. :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
It's perfectly simple, feanor. The Shepherd's Crown is a book that has only been out for less than a week. Lots of people have still to read it and don't want spoilers. And I'm not talking about "gold-sheathed Limited editions and read a sentence a day". A lot of the members haven't even got the hardback yet. This doesn't just go for The Shepherd's Crown, it goes for every Pratchett book when it has first been released. Put yourself in the position of others. If you had been waiting to watch a film or read a book and you wanted to watch or read it without spoilers - and someone then told you a series of major plot-lines, you would, quite rightly be miffed.

Also - quit with the snarky comments. We are all perfectly aware that Terry is dead and won't come back. We are not stupid. We will "read it and enjoy it" and some of us may shed a tear, but we'll enjoy it a lot more if you don't go around the site posting spoilers without warning.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Tony, TMC and Penners are correct. Sorry, feanor.

TMC and I live in Australia. We don't have TSC yet. Why? Because it won't come out in Australia for another two-and-a-half weeks, at least. We can't read it, we won't know what you're talking about, and we don't appreciate you spoiling the book for us.

Let me put it this way: suppose you were standing in line in 1980 to watch "The Empire Strikes Back". You've watched the first Star Wars film, you're excited to see what happens. And suddenly I come out of the movie theatre with my mates, laughing and joking and yelling "WOW! What an ending! Who would have GUESSED that Darth Vader was Luke Skywalker's FATHER!!!!" How would that make you feel, eh? ;)

Thank you very much for your understanding. :) And now, back to our usual programming...

Which Discworld character do I not like? That's a toughie. I don't dislike Rincewind; I like his common sense and his turn of speed. I don't dislike Tiffany; on the contrary, I empathise with her. She's so young and she has so much to give, and everyone looks up to her and she matures very quickly. Good on her! :laugh: In contrast, I don't like Anagramma because she's so immature - which makes me admire Tiffany even more, because she puts up with Anagramma's nonsense (although, later, we learn that
Tiff and Ana can cooperate).
:)

I don't like Christine, the empty-headed vacuous blonde bombshell in Maskerade. Having performed opera and oratorio for ten years, I've run into plenty of vacuous talented people, but Christine just doesn't have anything to make her likable (except her looks, which we can't see). I know it's a take on Phantom, but I'm still annoyed at her. This is also because I just love Maskerade generally, having performed opera etc. - so I find that Christine is just generally irritating, and acts as a foil to Perdita.

Speaking of which, I wonder what happened to Perdita after CJ. We never see her again after that, I think. Any ideas?

User Menu

Newsletter