So Which Discworld Characters Don't You Like?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Jan 23, 2014
Tonyblack said:
My opinion has changed through re-readings. I used to really dislike Nanny Ogg, but then I got to appreciate the fact that she was there to keep Granny from getting bored. I didn't like Monstrous Regiment and Small Gods when I first read them - now they are two of my favourites.

I loved Small Gods on first reading. But I agree with you on Monstrous Regiment. I didn't like it on first reading but enjoyed it much more on second reading. I think it took two reads to get it.

I might give UA another go to see if it works on that one too.

MrsWizzard

Lance-Corporal
Aug 30, 2009
United States
I think Making Money is my least favorite of the Moist books, though I haven't given that one a second read yet, so who knows?

I would have liked to see more of Carrot's reaction to Mr. Fusspots new, erm, toy, though. ;)

Oh! That reminds me, I didn't like Carrot at first, either! I somehow read Men At Arms before I read Guards! Guards! so maybe I just didn't get him yet? I ended up enjoying him by the end of the book, but I definitely remember being more interested in the Constable Cuddy/Detritus duo.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Well..... the reason for that is quite simple, MrsWizzard. :) You see, by the time of Men at Arms, Carrot is more or less an established character - so if you didn't know his background, you might have thought to yourself, "Who is this Carrot and why does he behave like that?" But the Detritus/Cuddy duo was new and fresh, and there was relatively little backstory to them (in Cuddy's case, there was none). So they were easier to understand.

Speaking of MAA, I was a little annoyed that
Cuddy ended up dead. I thought he was a promising character, and it was unfair to kill him. Besides, since it was the first and last book we see him in, we didn't feel an emotional connection to him.

I'm not sure why people don't like Making Money. I loved it. :laugh: Once I listened to Stephen Briggs reading it, I loved it even more. ;) My least favourite Moist book (as opposed to Dry book, I guess? *rimshot*) was Raising Steam. It was fairly amusing, and I loved the Pterry's take on steam trains and all the little observations and references (the reference to
George Stephenson and his train
nearly killed me!), but overall, I thought it wasn't as good as GP or MM.

Now I wish we could have seen what Pterry had in mind for tax reform (aka the ending of MM)... :(

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
<Now I wish we could have seen what Pterry had in mind for tax reform (aka the ending of MM)..>
The proposed title for that one was Raising Taxes at one point, but got morphed into R.S.
Another proposed was one about the Water Board,(presumably parodying Thames Water in London) Which A.M.is based on. But sadly we will never know.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
He said at one point that he couldn't find a way to make taxes funny. I still wish he'd written that one, because I think he would have found a way to make the rest of it funny, and I had some guesses about things he might have done.

Feb 4, 2013
I don't know about "dislike", but I find it very hard to muster any enthusiasm for Carrot after his initial couple of appearances. Watching his naivety get him into trouble and earn him puzzled looks in Guards! Guards! was a highlight. Trying to figure out if he's a cold-hearted narrative manipulator or just relentlessly, boringly ideal in The Fifth Element was a lose-lose situation.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Aquamarine said:
I don't know about "dislike", but I find it very hard to muster any enthusiasm for Carrot after his initial couple of appearances. Watching his naivety get him into trouble and earn him puzzled looks in Guards! Guards! was a highlight. Trying to figure out if he's a cold-hearted narrative manipulator or just relentlessly, boringly ideal in The Fifth Element was a lose-lose situation.
I agree. Terry made, I believe, the mistake of making Carrot too perfect. When a character is too perfect, they no longer have any room to grow. I really get that feeling in the later books, where he only makes cameo appearances. I am also extremely glad that Terry didn't take the whole rightful king thing any further than he did.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Tonyblack said:
Aquamarine said:
I agree. Terry made, I believe, the mistake of making Carrot too perfect. When a character is too perfect, they no longer have any room to grow. I really get that feeling in the later books, where he only makes cameo appearances. I am also extremely glad that Terry didn't take the whole rightful king thing any further than he did.
LI'L SPOILERS AHEAD

Pterry knew he had made Carrot "too perfect" by the time of Jingo, and he compensated by evolving Vimes into the true "world changer" he becomes in later books. Pterry compensated by turning Carrot into a manipulative and irresponsible "lost dog chaster" in The Fifth Elephant, where

He plays no key role in unraveling the conspiracy behind the theft of the Scone of Stone. In fact, he is the only member of the Ankh Morporkers who doesn't meet the King. Other than helping rescue Vimes from the werewolves (which Angua and the wolves could have done without him) and attacking Wolfgang (which, again, Angua might have done) he had no part in the resolution.

TFE showed the "dark side" of Carrot that was only hinted at in previous books, but it also signalled his "demotion." He never played a significant role in any future Watch books.

Feb 4, 2013
RathDarkblade said:
I think you mean "The Fifth ELEPHANT" (unless Carrot has now popped up in the film...) ;)
Oops! I meant The Fifth Elephant, of course. I'd be as shocked as anyone if Carrot randomly turned up in the film.

Tonyblack said:
The funny this is that he was really entertaining in Guards! Guards!, where his overbearing and noble qualities are balanced. He's literal-minded, which results in bizarre behaviour and one of the more imaginative villain deaths in the series. He's single-minded in his goals and simple in his approach; his attempt to arrest and then protect the dragon being the best example of both qualities. And he still has signs of humanity, such as his desperately denying he's a human at first, failing to charm the patrons at the Drum, and being just as helpless as the other guards both over coming to terms with Gaskins' death ("It didn't ought to be like that") and in dealing with the dragon king. This is as close as he ever gets to being a hyper-eager puppy out of his depth.

It's not impossible, but it's very hard to square that with his portrayal in The Fifth Elephant, simply because the only thing remaining is his occasional - and never particularly dramatic - mistakes. Probably the one part that put me off most is the implication that he manipulated story-telling logic to survive by sacrificing Gavin, thereby indirectly lining up the hypotenuse of the love triangle for murder. When the strongest counter to his story-bending "everything works out for his boy-scout goodness" ability is that creepy, I've run out of ways to find his character palatable.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Hmm... I don't know, I still found Carrot entertaining during Men At Arms (especially his
attempts to "woo" Angua
) and also during Feet of Clay
(his sometimes cluelessness and his unthinking sexism, which is immediately pointed out by Angua,
and also how terrified the lawbreakers are of him) and during Jingo - particularly
his organising a football match
. :mrgreen:

But I agree, The Fifth Elephant was not Carrot's finest hour. I'm not sure why; Terry has shown us before that Carrot was a fine character, both inside (G! G!, MAA, FOC) and outside (J) A-M. However, this is the first time that Carrot has been outside A-M and relying almost completely on himself - i.e. no Vimes, no one around to give him orders. It could be argued that
Angua is his superior in a sense, since she and the wolves rescue him from almost certain death - but in terms of the watch, he is (or should be) her superior, since he is a captain and she is merely a sergeant. Then again, Terry usually has fun with the "lower ranks" being smarter in most circumstances - witness Monstrous Regiment for the best examples of this.

After TFE, Carrot only ever had cameos here and there... I only remember one -
when he had to interview Moist, after the latter had to break into the vaults at the Ankh-Morpork Bank, in order to (possibly) rescue Mr. Bent.
Carrot's literalness was fun - this quality reminded me a little of Death - but it was clearly time for Carrot to stand aside from being the central character, as he was in G! G! . :)

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
RathDarkblade said:
After TFE, Carrot only ever had cameos here and there... I only remember one -
when he had to interview Moist, after the latter had to break into the vaults at the Ankh-Morpork Bank, in order to (possibly) rescue Mr. Bent.
Carrot's literalness was fun - this quality reminded me a little of Death - but it was clearly time for Carrot to stand aside from being the central character, as he was in G! G! . :)
Actually, Carrot still had a significant role in Thud! where..

He "led" the investigation into the death of the grag, as the designated "truth finder" for the dwarfs. But from a narrative viewpoint his role there was mainly to serve as the competitive "lust interest" between Angua and Sally. He just about totally disappeared from the book after bringing the murdered city dwarfs to the surface, and, as in The Fifth Elephant, had absolutely no role in the resolution of the dwarf conflicts. Notice, too, that he's completely absent from the dwarf narrative of Raising Steam as well. After his demotion in The Fifth Elephant, he is done as a crucial narrative mover and shaker.

Ziriath

Constable
Oct 15, 2011
Brno, Czech Republic
In earlier books I do not like Susan and Carrot, but I like even less characters from Unseen Academicals, or more like cardboard cutouts of characters that are Juliet, Glenda and Nutt. Nutt is too perfect in everything he does, Juliet too stupid, Glenda too ordinary and boring.

Mixa

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia
I’m not sure what’s worst… Say which is your favourite Discworld characters or say which characters you don’t like! Personally I love them all! I’m unable to be judgmental towards them because I think they are all multifaceted and one single interpretation of them is never valid. I’m the first one to always vindicate that there’s no accounting for taste, but I believe every character has its merit, depth and reason for being, even the ones that may sometimes look like cardboards. ;)

Mx

User Menu

Newsletter