The Colour of Magic Movie

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Klingon blood has changed colour too. When Worf bled on the Next Generation, it was red, but in The Undiscovered Country (set earlier, filmed later) Klingon blood was pink :eek:

Klingons must be far more genetically variable than humans, which could explain the foreheads :laugh:

Jarmara

Lance-Corporal
Aug 1, 2008
West Yorkshire
www.brisinga.co.uk
Casaninbetween said:
I have to disagree. Consider Twoflower. He is:

• Short
    Bespectacled
    Overly interested in taking photos
    Overly polite

All of these are aspects of the western stereotype of the Japanese tourist (perhaps I should say "Oriental tourist", since most westerners mix up China, Japan, Thailand etc.).

A parodical American tourist would probably be fat and boastful (no offence, Americans). And he probably wouldn't be called "Twoflower".
Granted.

BUT

He is also wearing a loud shirt, throwing money around and convinced that his Agatean nationality protects from everything like a stereotypical american tourist and distrustful of the water and the food like a stereotypical Brittish tourist.

He's a stereotypical Tourist, of all flavours in CoM.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
It's a sad fact but you simply don't see as many American tourists in Europe as you used to - it's the exchange rate and it's true that you are more likely to see Japanese tourists these days and they are usually taking photographs.

But - the American tourist going back a few years ago stood out like the proverbial sore thumb. A lot of them did have loud Hawaiian type shirts, shorts and an expensive camera around their necks. A lot of them were short and wore glasses as well.

As Jarmara says in the previous post - Twoflower is an amalgamation - a stereotypical tourist.

And let us not forget the luggage. Terry has stated that the idea for the Luggage came when he saw an American tourist towing a large suitcase on wheels that seemed to have a mind of its own. :)

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Casaninbetween said:
Consider Twoflower. He is:

• Short
    Bespectacled
    Overly interested in taking photos
    Overly polite

All of these are aspects of the western stereotype of the Japanese tourist
Describes my Dad pretty well, too. Definitely not a Japanese tourist :laugh:

Jinx

Lance-Corporal
Jul 27, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Tonyblack said:
Actually, what I've been surprised at is how well david Jason seems to have been accepted as Rincewind once everyone had actually seen him in the part.
I actually wasn't impressed with David Jason as Rincewind but only because he didn't conform to my view of Rincewind. Having said that Sean Astin didn't conform to my view of Twoflower but I was impressed with him. Perhaps there's more to it than that then.

Though one of the great things about series like the Discworld is that film makers can get away with some deviations from the story (Only some mind). Probably because of the inconsistencies within the written series anyway. Sorry, There are NO inconsistencies in the Discworld books; occasionally, however, there are alternate pasts.

Had the Twoflower convo with my gf when I first got her to read the books and we were casting parts we'd like if a film was ever made (They were kind enough to oblige ;) ). We both agreed that an American would work best for a British audience. They're loud, always cheerful and somehow they think they're invulnerable. I pointed out that he was probably thought of as Japanese mostly, but that didn't seem to change anything. We also agreed that he was definitely NOT German. :laugh:

Casaninbetween

Lance-Constable
Sep 7, 2008
Sweden
Jarmara said:
Granted.

BUT

He is also wearing a loud shirt, throwing money around and convinced that his Agatean nationality protects from everything like a stereotypical american tourist and distrustful of the water and the food like a stereotypical Brittish tourist.

He's a stereotypical Tourist, of all flavours in CoM.
Granted! :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Casaninbetween said:
Anyway, I must say that the casting of Cohen is just fantastic! But what's up with his accent?
That's the guy who plays the caretaker in the Harry Potter movies. He's using a sort of Yorkshire 'northern' accent while at the same time trying to sound really old with no teeth.

I think he manages very well.

Casaninbetween

Lance-Constable
Sep 7, 2008
Sweden
Tonyblack said:
Casaninbetween said:
Anyway, I must say that the casting of Cohen is just fantastic! But what's up with his accent?
That's the guy who plays the caretaker in the Harry Potter movies. He's using a sort of Yorkshire 'northern' accent while at the same time trying to sound really old with no teeth.

I think he manages very well.
Oh, I thought it was a Russian accent or something, which I couldn't see fitting into the generic barbarian theme.

RACKU

Lance-Constable
Aug 15, 2008
Australia
I absolutely loved the movie! Stayed true to the book very well! Though it was a bit long, but it was a combination of two books in one, so I guess I let them go on that one ;)

Is it me or is the Rincewind a bit too chubby for his book description? I thought he was a quite thin, probably from all the running he does.
And if someone has already pointed this out, slap me on the head with a fish - I couldn't be bothered at the moment with 5 pages of text Dx

Jul 26, 2008
Finland
RACKU said:
Is it me or is the Rincewind a bit too chubby for his book description? I thought he was a quite thin, probably from all the running he does.
No, that was everyones major criticism when it was announced that David Jason would play Rincewind - too short, too fat, too old. That was before the film was out, after seeing it, some people changed their minds.
Haven't seen it myself, so can't comment.

Jason

Special Constable
Jul 10, 2008
Pontarddulais - Wales
discworldmonthly.co.uk
The patrician thing was due to contractual reasons. Basically (almost) nobody knew that Jeremy Irons was playing the Patrician. As I understand it part of Jeremy Irons contract stated that he should not be mentioned in any pre-show advertising.

I don't think the Sky website has been updated since the movie was shown at Easter.

chuckie

Lance-Corporal
Jul 25, 2008
Corby
RACKU said:
I absolutely loved the movie! Stayed true to the book very well! Though it was a bit long, but it was a combination of two books in one, so I guess I let them go on that one ;)

And if someone has already pointed this out, slap me on the head with a fish - I couldn't be bothered at the moment with 5 pages of text Dx
Didn't agree with david jason before , don't agree now. Not going to argue about it

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter