The Colour of Magic Movie

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Can't believe I've had this since monday, and I still haven't had time to watch it. This is unprecendented! It must be time to throw a sickie ;)

Didn't see it on Sky One, so you can understand my frustration.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
BTW just looked up Powers Booth - he seems a bit sturdy, if I'm looking at the right one. More like Mustrum Ridcully in fact (although in my mind Mustrum is more florid and booming)

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
I bought The Colour Of Magic today, in Asda. Just got to make time to watch it now.
I also got 5 paperback Discworld books & 2 hardback, all in almost unread condition, no bent spines,from a car boot sale for £3. Bargain those. :laugh: 8) 8)

Annebn

Constable
Jul 25, 2008
Germany
I watched it for the first time this weekend. I was a bit scepticla about the Rincewind and Twoflower casting, but I must say it worked better than I had expected. Nothing like what they looked like in my head, but never the less funny.

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
I watched the first part of The Colour Of Magic with my friend, Monday evening.

I think Rinsewind should have been a different, perhaps a taller, thinner & a slightly younger actor, than David Jason, who was a much better Albert.

Twoflower should have been Chinese. It certainly sounded as if it was that language they were speaking in the Broken Drum.

Vetinari wasn't right either I thought, why the lisp?
I do like it a lot, dispite these grumps & after all Terry was there & presumably had a hand in making it.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Watched it last week, & I thought it was cracking! Rincewind wasn't so bad after all, actually he was rather good - but I still don't think he should have been Albert :laugh:

Jason, you will have to be more specific about where you are in the Drum. It was very dark in there & I couldn't make you out!

Jason

Special Constable
Jul 10, 2008
Pontarddulais - Wales
discworldmonthly.co.uk
Agreed it is very dark.

When Twoflower first walks into the Drum he stops right in front of me before heading off towards the bar.

I am on the left hand side of the barrel in the middle of the bar playing Thud! with SaneAlex. I think as Twoflower walks off you see me make my killing move in Thud!

You see me several more times in the pub, knocking back a pint and also dodging out of the way of the Luggage as it heads for the stables.

Also when Rincewind kicks Stren in the family jewells I am fighting in the background and look over to see what is happening when Twoflower shouts smile.

Annebn

Constable
Jul 25, 2008
Germany
I was looking for familiar faces in the Drum, but didn't spot you Jason. I think I saw Pat though. Must go and watch it again, knowing where to look.

And Tiffany, if I had to pick, I agree with you that Rincewind should have been younger, and Twoflower definetly chineese (or perhaps Japanese). But I still think the pair worked well in the movie.

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
Dotsie said:
Watched it last week, & I thought it was cracking! Rincewind wasn't so bad after all, actually he was rather good - but I still don't think he should have been Albert :laugh:
Yes, Rincewind was good, but it seemed strange to see David Jason as another character.
We agree to differ :laugh:

chris.ph

Sergeant-at-Arms
Aug 12, 2008
swansea south wales
always pictured rincewind as quite tall , very thin, with a ratty type face even without the kirby illustrations. david jason could not be further away from my mental image of him. i still enjoyed tho :laugh:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
For some reason I just couldn't make myself watch Colour of Magic or Hogfather on the box - much as I like David Jason and his acting he cannot and never will be Rincewind unless he 'voices' him for animation or is cgi'ed into a tall skinny dude like Ray Winston was morphed into a barbarian lurve-god in Beowulf... :rolleyes: . Sean Astin's a bit of a stretch for Twoflower as well but I can forgive him most things as he's such an intelligent actor.

I may be able to force myself to swell Tesco's coffers for Xmas but I'm having to think hard about it even after reading much positive feedback in here ;)

Hey Tiffany - great new avatar! 8)

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
Watched it here and really enjoyed it! :laugh: Although, Tiffany, I do agree with all you mentioned. I didn't feel that Twoflower had to be Chinese, but Sean Astin in the role took a little getting used to. Vetinari was really hard to watch. The character came off as silly and crazy. It was done all wrong. David Jason wasn't a good Rincewind either. He pulled it off enough for me not to dwell on it (like the Vetinari thing), but they would have done better with a younger actor.

And, despite all my complaining, I really did enjoy it. :oops: :laugh: So did hubby. :laugh: And I spotted a couple of familiar faces!

Aug 29, 2008
Bridgwater Somerset
Jan Van Quirm, The Hogfather is very good adaption of the book... far better than The Colour of Magic and I would recommend you getting a copy or waiting until Hogwatch............ sorry Christmas as it is sure to be shown again sometime. Tea Time is particularly evil and dark , darker than in the book to my eyes! And creepy........ :eek:

User Menu

Newsletter