The Colour of Magic Movie

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
No! It was terrible! Teatime just wasn't right at all, I just refuse to let it spoil the book for me :(

'Course, that's just one opinion ;)

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
mspanners said:
Jan Van Quirm, The Hogfather is very good adaption of the book... far better than The Colour of Magic and I would recommend you getting a copy or waiting until Hogwatch............ sorry Christmas as it is sure to be shown again sometime. Tea Time is particularly evil and dark , darker than in the book to my eyes! And creepy........ :eek:
The actor who played Tea Time, Marc Warren, is brilliant at creepy characters.

andrew

Lance-Constable
Nov 18, 2008
Isle of Man, British Isles
I recently finished watching the TV adaptation of the Colour of Magic, and I have to say that I was very impressed.

Although I was sceptical at first, I think the producers did a great job in adapting The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic into a manageable screenplay.

Contrary to what seems to be the majority opinion here, I was really taken by Sir David Jason's portrayal of Rincewind. I had read a lot of negative comment on his casting and performance in the film as going against most people's interpretation of Rincewind. I have to say that I think he gave an immensely enjoyable and perfectly credible interpretation of his own. I admit that it took me a while to warm to Rincewind in the TV adaptation, but by the end I felt quite a strong connection with the character and a good understanding of him.

I also loved the casting and performance of Tim Curry as Trymon. His scenes were most likely the points when I laughed most during the film. Particular credit should go to the man who played the second Astrozoologist in Krull!

All in all, there were a couple of moments in the film which ran contrary to my interpretations from my own readings of the novels. Nevertheless, I think it's great that I've been given some fresh perspectives to consider and enjoy.

I hope that the next TV adaptation is as successful. I shall definitely be watching this one again soon!

Very best wishes,

Andrew

Jan 2, 2009
For me, David Jason IS Albert, I feel that Nigel Planer would have been better as Rincewind, he has the confused and worried looks down pat.

I can't think of anyone better than Jeremy Irons as the Patrician, except perhaps the guy who plays Snape in the Harry Potter films.

Cheers, Vena

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
wolfdog27 said:
I know it was coming on blueray but I wan't to know if it's coming to Canada.... o_O
Wish I could tell you for sure. The series is going to be shown on TV in the US, but whether it will be shown in Canada is another thing. o_O

Let us know if you find out - and welcome wolfdog27! :laugh:

Tiffany

Sergeant
Oct 13, 2008
Devon
Hi Wolfdog, welcome to here from me as well. :)
I do hope you do get to see it on T.V. there in Canada. Can't you get the DVD there?

User Menu

Newsletter