The "I shall wear midnight" thread

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Rhya

Jan 20, 2010
The Romance?

Dotsie said:
poohcarrot said:
Jan Van Quirm said:
poohcarrot said:
I agree with you about Wee Free Men, but enjoyed Hatful. I thought the weakest one was Wintersmith.
:rolleyes: is there no romance in the world? :twisted:
A woman leading a man on, then when the man responds, is told to bugger off, is hardly what I'd call romantic. Maybe it's a woman thing, but that just leaves me cold (cold - ha ha! :laugh: )
Or, a woman is nice to man, who then thinks "at last! The woman is obssessed with me, I will show her how much I love her by killing a few people and making her miserable, then she will be mine!!!" The oldest story, happens all the time :rolleyes:
I don’t know i thought it was sweet. The feeling i got from the book was that she like Ronald but first romances are always awkward. :oops: Remember how angry she got that Ronald looked at another girls watercolors. :laugh: I think the attraction went both ways.

And who wouldn’t be flattered if a god fell in love with them. :rolleyes:

Id like to see where it goes between her and Ronald in the next book.

Also does anyone know what the time line will be? If it will be a direct continuation or if she will age a year or two?

BigGee42

Jan 21, 2010
Who's Wee Dug said:
lyn said:
who's wee dug, you said the book won't be out until next Autumn. I'm downunder in Four X.
do you realise we are upside down here? Autumn here is March.
but I don't suppose you meant then?
Hi Lyn,what I meant was Autum in the UK about Sept.or October hopefully sooner.
Howdy folks, i'm new!

Thought you might be interested in this:

Amazon.co.uk have "I Shall Wear Midnight" listed for release on 2nd Sep 2010.

Ta ta!

"Trousers as shiny as glass, and shirts so worn you can see daylight through them"

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Welcome to the site BigGee42! :laugh:

September eh? That makes a change from October.

As to Roland and the romance - I agree that it's kind of sweet. It's also nice to see the way Roland has evolved over the books. He's gone from totally oboxious to a rather caring and thoughtful boy who obviously thinks the world of Tiff.

I'm not sure where it will go though as I somehow can't imagine Tiffany getting married. o_O

Jan 1, 2010
I'm not sure where it will go though as I somehow can't imagine Tiffany getting married
If Tiffany gets married I will have to rethink my opinion of the whole series and write a "disgusted of Tunbridge Wells" letter to the Times.

Plus Roland would be well advised to consider carefully before marrying a witch, their husbands don't seem to live very long (Nanny Ogg has gone through at least three I think)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I have no real idea about this - but I wonder if I Shall Wear Midnight is about Tiffany's decision to put witchcraft first. It seems to have been a decision that Granny made at some time in her life and I suspect it's a decision Tiffany's going to have to make as well. o_O

Jan 1, 2010
Hmm, possibly.

I always felt with Granny it had just happened - mainly due to her ability to run faster than boys! But now I think about it I can't see her not stopping and thinking about it if she found herself drifting into just witching and no life.

Not that there are many alternative paths for an independant woman in a rural area like the Ramtops

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Being a witch is enough for some of them and possibly the top career path on the Disc & no faffing about at UU, just the practical training and off they go. Most of them seem to take Granny's route if Tiffany's various mentors are a rough cut of typical witch stereotypes (only Annagramma's mentor is married and barely a witch by definition from what I can see).

Only Nanny and Magrat appear to be married and still keeping their witching up to scratch so I suppose it's once again down to personal inclination? Tiffany I think is more like Granny, who certainly seems to take an interest in her progress and skills so I wouldn't be surprised if Tiffany follows her example. Pity for Roland as he is growing as a character and has some understanding of magic after his experiences with the Elves. Maybe he'll talk her into it but I doubt it - it's far more likely she'd have to rescue from his horrible aunties again, or did they get thrown out - can't remember what happened there now :oops: .

Jan 1, 2010
Jan said:
Pity for Roland
Nothing to stop the two of them having a good time until Roland goes off to become lord of the manor or Baron or whatever his father was, can't see Tiffany following Magrat into a "ladies" role though she'd be too divorced from the chalk.

Edit (Forgive the unintentional pun :( )

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Ultimately Tiffany will have to go back to the Chalk to do her witching. She 'Hag O The Hills' and the country looks to her. So she'll be witching in Roland's territory. They'll have to come to some sort of understanding. We see what happens if the land isn't looked after in Wyrd Sisters (discussion starts on Monday 1st February). So Roland will also have a part in caring for the land.

Jan 1, 2010
Tonyblack said:
So Roland will also have a part in caring for the land
Yes but Roland doesn't work on the Chalk every day, he rules it but doesn't care for it in the way the farmers and witches do.

Anyway Tony how long till we get to discuss Wee Free Men?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Doughnut Jimmy said:
Anyway Tony how long till we get to discuss Wee Free Men?
September 2011 I'm afraid. o_O

Here's a list of the order and dates for the discussions. The 'live' links are to discussions we've already done. All of them are still ongoing - there's no cut off date, so please feel free to add to any of them. :laugh:

Zephyr

Lance-Corporal
Aug 29, 2008
Dallas, Texas
This is a book I'm really looking forward to.

If you want to really expand upon your Tiffany Aching experience - especially with the Feegles - grab yourself an audio copy of all the Tiffany books read by Stephen Briggs. He brings a new element to the Feegles that is absolutely brilliant.

I think all three of the books are quite good and each has their own personality and focus and they all tie together very well. Same characters, but the plotlines differ vastly...yet all end up sharing a goal: Tiffany learns more about who she is and what she can do. She's not the only one to grow and change, though. We also get to witness Roland and Annagramma and Petulia and Lucy and Dimmity go from flat support characters to fully-rounded individuals who could potentially carry great stories of their own. (Annagramma's "You get away from her!" boffo scene is nothing short of inspired.)

Plus, as we observe the next generation of Discworld witches grow and learn, it makes you think back that Granny and Nanny and Letice Earwig and Miss Treason and Old Mother Blackcap and Old Mother Dismass and Goodie Whemper, et. al. were all young and naiive and unsure of themselves too.

As for the menfolk, many of the witches have been married and still remained a witch. Young Esme Weatherwax was courted by Mustrum Ridcully, who could not have married if he'd wanted to since wizards are supposed to remain single. I honestly believe if Tiffany did marry Roland, it would bode nothing but good fortune for the Chalk...the Hag o' the Hills and the Chalk Baron. It would continue the Aching Witch line.

:laugh:

Tristan

Lance-Corporal
Aug 16, 2009
On a more cheeful note, I’m working my way through the second draft of I Shall Wear Midnight, but as ever fighting for writing time among all the other calls.
Go Terry! I can't wait, too. This one will be the last witch novel, right? :rolleyes:

I think that Tiffany getting married and continuing her witching is a more 'contemporary' situation of a married woman who still follows her career and dreams. Most of the time it's successful.
Also the Nac Mac Feegles were trying hard in Wintersmith to understand human courtship for a reason ... and Nanny Ogg was tutoring her in Wintersmith and extolling the virtues of married life.

Personally I hope she does get married to Roland he does put love in his stories, even if he avoids romance ... (the only romantic couples I can think of are Vimes and Sybil, Moist Von Lipwig and Adora Belle Dearheart, and Mr. Nutt and Glenda!)

Maybe their marriage will be like that of the hero and heroine in Horse and His Boy ... they'll only marry to argue more conveniently!

I was posting the couples that gives me a warm glow.
Magrat and Verence are safe by comparison of the other couples ...

Vimes battles alcoholism and a feeling of low self-worth in that he feels he doesn't deserve to be this happy and Sybil is wonderful in that she over exaggerates his good points and won't let anyone downgrade her husband!

Moist Von Lipwig is now trying to be a straight up citizen - and, quite frankly, he doesn't deserve Adora's forgiveness but she loves him despite the fact that he caused her ruin and was engaged last I knew...

Mr. Nutt and Glenda - Mr. Nutt didn't even know whom he was but that would never have stopped Glenda. I just thought it was sweet when she left the Oval Office hand-in-hand with him.

Magrat and Verence are a bit weedy in comparison...

User Menu

Newsletter