The sad bits...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Aug 3, 2009
England
Just re-read feet of clay. I'd forgotten how sad it is in parts. I just wondered whether anyone else had a DW book with parts in that they find particularly sad/emotional.

Or maybe I'm just a total wuss.

Jul 25, 2008
Newport
Still that bit in Thud! where Vimes is in the cave reciting the words to Where's My Cow and going spare as he should be reading to young Sam.

Cheery

Sergeant
Jun 22, 2009
Switzerland
jellymish-art.tumblr.com
Definatly the scene in Thud, when the deep-downers attack Sybil and young Sam. Especially after the shock Vimes got, when one of the dwarves went into the nursery. Seriously, this would make every sensible father cry of sheer relief.
Actually there are a number of scienes with a lot of tension in Thud.

Trish

Corporal
Apr 23, 2009
Wintersville, Ohio
chris.ph said:
i cant remember which book its in but granny tells death to take the cow and not the baby :cry:
That's from Equal Rites.
It's sad, but it's not. Only Granny could "tell" Death anything and expect him to listen.

Carpe Jugulum. The bit when Granny 'thinks' she' left out of the christening because she isnt' needed.
And the later bit when she tells Nanny she can't get through Magpyr's "wall of thought."
And the that losing herself /her mind is everything to her.

I like Granny. :0)

kakaze

Lance-Corporal
Jun 3, 2009
I really hate the bit in Feet of Clay when Vimes is reminiscing about tormenting some poor kid when he was young. Billy Scuggins, I think.

I didn't think it really fit with the Vimes personality.

Aug 3, 2009
England
All those bits are emotional- thank you for reminding me of them!
Another bit that gets me is when (Men at arms) Angua and Carrot find the list of widows that Vimes supports.
I love Vimes!

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Jan Van Quirm said:
When Gaspode is trapped in the theatre in Moving Pictures and just having a little chat with Death and then Laddie comes and rescues him.

Pure Lassie Come Home and I blubbed like a baby the 1st time :oops:
I read somewhere that Terry was actually going to kill Gaspode off and when he sent the manuscript off someone who read it sent a message back telling him that he must not under any circumstances kill off Gaspode. :eek:

Dec 31, 2008
Japan
Tonyblack said:
I read somewhere that Terry was actually going to kill Gaspode off and when he sent the manuscript off someone who read it sent a message back telling him that he must not under any circumstances kill off Gaspode. :eek:
Probably Jan that sent that message! :laugh:

(or the US publishers! :twisted: )

poohbcarrot said:
Tonyblack said:
Probably Jan that sent that message! :laugh:

(or the US publishers! :twisted: )
hmmm, prolly in the bit where Angua and Gaspode had to go up against the "dog gang" and Fluffy the Terrible.

I don't see why... Gaspode Rocks.

Plus, Gaspode saved Vimes butt with the subliminal messages about the superiors itchy bum in one book, egads that was hilarious. you are feeling itchy... very, very itchy, oh you must scratch it Now.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Yes, he's a really good character that most people like and it's always good to see him in a book. But Terry had to rewrite him after Moving Pictures because the other animals lost their ability to talk after the Holy Wood magic went away. :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter