The Shepherd's Crown - No Spoilers in this thread please.

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Oct 13, 2008
Devon
Re: The Shepherd's Crown **Spoilers Allowed**

simmonds91 said:
Oh thank Tak hardly anyone has posted here yet, curiosity got the better of me :laugh:

I swear i resisted the temptation! Anyhoo, i did in fact get my slipcase copy in the mail today but i think i'll save that edition and get a standard copy, yknow, so i can read it how i like without worrying about damaging it (the last book must be kept nice and shiny and new and... My... Precious.....)
Wrong author, :laugh: but I know what you mean. :laugh:

Adamj

Nov 6, 2014
Re: The Shepherd's Crown - No Spoilers in this thread please

raptornx01 said:
Bittersweet day. I'll have to wait to get it though. did they release an audiobook the same time, or is that coming later?
In Waterstones Lincoln they had the audiobook read by Tony Robinson. However this was an abridged version. I think the runtime was around 4.5 hours.

Adamj

Nov 6, 2014

Hello all,

I've only read half of the discworld books but hardly any have chapters. However the Sheperd's Crown is split into chapters. I remember reading somewhere (in a slip of the keyboard I think) that Terry didn't like using chapters despite his editors asking him to do so. Do you think the chapters were added by Terry or by the editor??

simmonds91

Lance-Corporal
Oct 29, 2012

Hard to tell, i mean all the previous tiffany books had chapters so i think it would make sense to continue the pattern, though whether terry pratchett cared for any sort of pattern is beyond me.

Oct 13, 2008
Devon

Adamj said:
raptornx01 said:
Bittersweet day. I'll have to wait to get it though. did they release an audiobook the same time, or is that coming later?
In Waterstones Lincoln they had the audiobook read by Tony Robinson. However this was an abridged version. I think the runtime was around 4.5 hours.
The unabridged version is available here, Adam...
http://www.audible.co.uk/pd/Children/Th ... B00XIO883G

Probably on Amazon too if you go there.

Adamj

Nov 6, 2014

Thanks for the replies. The Tiffany Aching books are in the half I'm yet to read - I didn't know they had chapters. I was hoping to read them over the summer but with a recent house move decorating took over!

I've never bought a DW book on day one before and so I couldn't resist the temptation to start reading straight away. :)

Oct 13, 2008
Devon

I have finished reading The Shepherd's Crown.
I loved it. Sad, funny, adventurous & dark too. I like to believe if Sir Terry had had time, he would have written another Tiffany book. Sadly not to be. :(
I am sad that that is the finish, but I am still listening to The Long War, audio unabridged, (on disc 4, but shelved to read TSC), so all is not lost & I will buy the unabridged audio of The Shepherd's Crown when I can.

Aug 20, 2015

In The Times (London UK) yesterday there was a short article involving Neil Gaiman re The Shepherd;s Crown. Quote" to avoid spoiling, we will not reveal the ending", but they had already spoiled the story for all who had not read the book by revealing the biggest spoiler of all, from page 36 onwards. This article should never have been published in its current form.
GertrudeLouise

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales

GertrudeLouise said:
In The Times (London UK) yesterday there was a short article involving Neil Gaiman re The Shepherd;s Crown. Quote" to avoid spoiling, we will not reveal the ending", but they had already spoiled the story for all who had not read the book by revealing the biggest spoiler of all, from page 36 onwards. This article should never have been published in its current form.
GertrudeLouise
Welcome to the site! I know the spoiler of which you refer. Sadly, I think this has been common knowledge, or at least the subject of much speculation for a while. As I've stated elsewhere - I have tried my hardest to avoid spoilers, and yet I still knew about Granny's death (I'm saying it here as spoilers are allowed). I found a point where Nanny and Tiffany are burying Granny - it was most poignant as I found I could quite easily substitute "Granny Weatherwax" for "Terry Pratchett" and it would make a whole lot of sense.

Oct 13, 2008
Devon

I didn't know anything about the book before I read it, I never saw any spoilers, which is probably why I cried when I read about Mistress Weatherwax dying & at her funeral at the begining of the book.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales

Tiffany said:
I didn't know anything about the book before I read it, I never saw any spoilers, which is probably why I cried when I read about Mistress Weatherwax dying & at her funeral at the begining of the book.
But it was done so beautifully and it was very good to see the interaction between Granny and Death.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales

Tiffany said:
But it was done so beautifully and it was very good to see the interaction between Granny and Death.

Oct 13, 2008
Devon

Tonyblack said:
Tiffany said:

It was written beautifully, but I still cried. :laugh:

Oct 13, 2008
Devon

Who's Wee Dug said:
Audible is part of Amazon, but I will renew membership of Audible for a few months to get it. :mrgreen:
I will get the audio version soon.
Can someone tell me why they do two versions, Stephen Briggs & Tony Robinson's.??????

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales

Tiffany said:
Who's Wee Dug said:
Audible is part of Amazon, but I will renew membership of Audible for a few months to get it. :mrgreen:
I will get the audio version soon.
Can someone tell me why they do two versions, Stephen Briggs & Tony Robinson's.??????
The Tony Robinson ones are abridged, Stephen Briggs are unabridged.

User Menu

Newsletter