The Watch update

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Rath, I tried to post a rather long post that was a review which was copied and pasted BUT sys. message said too long and to cut it to 6.000 characters cut it in half but still states too long there were 3,100 words in it (7pages) so it may have be too much given the spaces . I did not want to put a link in for the complete mag.

ThinkingFox

Administrator
City Watch
Jul 20, 2017
UK
www.thinkingfox.com
Personally, I'm kind of hoping you don't, ThinkingFox. I prefer forum messages to be relatively short, rather than go on for pages, especially if it's not original content. That's what links are for.
The compromise in this case would have been because it's @Who's Wee Dug and only in its own locked thread all by itself, but yes I agree, best practice is not to allow them at all hence the existing limits imposed on thread and post length.

/back on topic

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Oh, dear lord. I read the review until episode 6 ... and then decided that since this series is such a deluded piece of crap, maybe I should stop depressing myself. :(

To sum up:

- Sets == Trash
- Dialogue == Rubbish
- Plot? What plot?
- Actors == Trying their best to act out this shite
- Costumes == OK?
- SFX == Way too obvious (even for Detritus)

Frankly, I hope this hideous nightmare dies the death it deserves, and then we can all move on and look forward to Maurice.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Oh, dear lord. I read the review until episode 6 ... and then decided that since this series is such a deluded piece of crap, maybe I should stop depressing myself. :(

To sum up:

- Sets == Trash
- Dialogue == Rubbish
- Plot? What plot?
- Actors == Trying their best to act out this shite
- Costumes == OK?
- SFX == Way too obvious (even for Detritus)

Frankly, I hope this hideous nightmare dies the death it deserves, and then we can all move on and look forward to Maurice.
You should read the others 7 & 8 as he rounds it off nicely.

Sorry to disappoint you Rath, there are moves a third of a yard;) or even afoot for a second series, but we have been spared in the UK, because it has never been shown here possibly because they know the reception it would get.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Be careful what you say, Dug ... I note the Monthly says "Still no news for the UK." So, some sadist on some channel somewhere might decide to run it. :eek:

I note that it's been run in Australia, on Stan. Thank goodness I don't have it; nor do I want to, if that's the kind of rubbish they run.

*reads #7 and #8* Good lord. Why? :( The depiction of Detritus as a man in a suit sounds OK -- IF the illusion can be maintained. But it sounds like they didn't bother, i.e. it's possible to see where the suit ends and the flesh begins. Agh!!! :(

I have to take task with one thing, though: the reviewer seems to think the CGI trolls in "Troll Bridge" weren't well done. I respectfully disagree. Personally, I thought they were brilliant. :) I also liked the golems in "Going Postal" (even if I disagreed with the direction they took with Reacher Gilt. I mean,
why does he kill Horsefry? He definitely doesn't kill people in the book, so why does he do that in the film?) :(

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Be careful what you say, Dug ... I note the Monthly says "Still no news for the UK." So, some sadist on some channel somewhere might decide to run it. :eek:

I note that it's been run in Australia, on Stan. Thank goodness I don't have it; nor do I want to, if that's the kind of rubbish they run.

*reads #7 and #8* Good lord. Why? :( The depiction of Detritus as a man in a suit sounds OK -- IF the illusion can be maintained. But it sounds like they didn't bother, i.e. it's possible to see where the suit ends and the flesh begins. Agh!!! :(

I have to take task with one thing, though: the reviewer seems to think the CGI trolls in "Troll Bridge" weren't well done. I respectfully disagree. Personally, I thought they were brilliant. :) I also liked the golems in "Going Postal" (even if I disagreed with the direction they took with Reacher Gilt. I mean,
why does he kill Horsefry? He definitely doesn't kill people in the book, so why does he do that in the film?) :(
To add little bit of visual drama to up the anti for the viewer who has not read the books. If they like the film may tempt them to read the book.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
BBC are in the sh-? *confused* That's odd. I always thought the BBC was rather good, but maybe I'm remembering the BBC as it was in the 80s and 90s. (Obviously, we don't get the BBC here).

Has the BBC gotten worse since then? Pity if they have.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
BBC are in the sh-? *confused* That's odd. I always thought the BBC was rather good, but maybe I'm remembering the BBC as it was in the 80s and 90s. (Obviously, we don't get the BBC here).

Has the BBC gotten worse since then? Pity if they have.
They have taken away the free TV licence from the over 75's when the UK government said they have to foot the bill themselves,then they spent hundreds of £1,000's on sending threatening letters demanding payments, its not illegal to own a TV without having a licence.

Last edited:

Mixa

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia
Some friends of mine sent me links about the Watch (because they know I'm a Pratchett fan) but I just want to forget about it!! The Spanish dubbing also hunts me on my TV platform (as it appears as a new featured series). Please send love and courage to help me resisit this torture! :roflmao:

Mx

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
They have taken away the free TV licence from the over 75's when the UK government said they have to foot the bill themselves,then they spent hundreds of £1,000's on sending threatening letters demanding payments, its not illegal to own a TV without having a licence.
I've had this ongoing thing with the TV Licence department. I haven't had a TV since 2002 and that was when I was at my mother's. Since I've been here I have had a letter from the licence people every month. They are usually threatening, without actually having any teeth. Law states that all people are innocent until proven guilty. The Licence people assume you are guilty and it is up to you to prove your innocence. All these years I have only ever received an actual call from an investigation officer. He asked me if he could come into my flat and see for himself that I didn't have a TV. I refused and told him that he would need to get a search warrant.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
I've had this ongoing thing with the TV Licence department. I haven't had a TV since 2002 and that was when I was at my mother's. Since I've been here I have had a letter from the licence people every month. They are usually threatening, without actually having any teeth. Law states that all people are innocent until proven guilty. The Licence people assume you are guilty and it is up to you to prove your innocence. All these years I have only ever received an actual call from an investigation officer. He asked me if he could come into my flat and see for himself that I didn't have a TV. I refused and told him that he would need to get a search warrant.
Two years ago I filled in the form stating I would not be renewing my license and just use my TV for catch up and not live programmes, Netflix, Prime etc I got fed up one Xmas with all the repeats of repeats I had watched one BBC and two ITV programmes spent the rest of the time on Netflix etc. They wrote again after the two period for reconfirmation but as I had told them once I'm not going to tell them every two years now I just ignore the letters.:devil::mad:

User Menu

Newsletter