what gigs hav you been to

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

chris.ph

Sergeant-at-Arms
Aug 12, 2008
swansea south wales
as this has nearly been started i thought i would get it going properly
ive been to see
adam and the ants
divine(bloody hysterical)
madness
badd manners
the specials
zztop
dire straits
meatloaf
marillion
bruce springsteen

i just tend to go and watch local bands now :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Mostly I've been to Classical Music concerts and didn't go to concerts much when I was a kid.

Freddie and the Dreamers (when I was little)
Camel
Leo Sayer (my ex wanted to see him)
U2

Like I say, I've been to dozens of Classical Music concerts though.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I’ve seen
the wedding present (several times)
pop will eat itself
the levellers
the wonderstuff
billy bragg
goldie looking chain
some band I can’t remember the name of, but they all had long hair (it was the 80’s rock scene) – saw them twice :oops:
billy idol
kasabian
oasis
ash
stereophonics

and loads more that I can’t remember. When you live in a university city, going to gigs is a lot easier I reckon. Also been to a few festivals (most enjoyable was the Cambridge Folk Festival – real ale, woolly jumpers, fiddle music :laugh: )

My first concert was disappointing, Cheap Trick is from Rockford and it was a chaotic mess for me, never get floor seats....
REO Speedwagon 4 or 5 times... learned my lesson good seats
Foriegner, Jukebox Hero show, good seats
Took silly arse cousin to see Rush at Rosemont Horizon in '93
Then in 1994 I went to see Pink Floyd twice on the same tour, Madison WI and Soldier Field in Chicago, and WOW Both Great Shows and well worth the money.
Had to corrupt all the young'uns,
Took oldest son and the neighbor's boy to see Metallica, THEY loved it.
Took my baby sister and her friend Chelsey to see AC/DC and Rush
Took my youngest son to Lilith Fair LOL he took it pretty well, baby Sis was with us. Learned a lesson, never assume the group of bull dykes are not in line for the bathroom... they WILL kick your ass if they think you are messing them aboot.
Took my youngest son to see BB King, Fantastic
Took my youngest son to see Kiss, His eyes were about to pop out of his head!
Took my youngest son to see Rush, he began to worship me as a God
Took my youngest son to see Weird Al Yankovich twice, baby sister once.
Saw Aerosmith because two Lame arse people needed me to use my credit card. btw I don't like them much, Aerosmith either.
Went to DeKalb IL to see The Tossers at Otto's Basement/barn for a Good show.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Tonyblack said:
I'm surprised you didn't see The Smiths coming from Manchester
I know, gutted :( But no-one else I knew liked them at the time they were still together, & I wasn't bold enough to go alone. Mr D loves them, but by the time I met him they had split up. At least I found someone who'd heard of the Weddos! :laugh:

Morrisey toured again this year, but it's just not the same without Johnny Marr, is it? o_O

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Dotsie said:
Tonyblack said:
I'm surprised you didn't see The Smiths coming from Manchester
I know, gutted :( But no-one else I knew liked them at the time they were still together, & I wasn't bold enough to go alone. Mr D loves them, but by the time I met him they had split up. At least I found someone who'd heard of the Weddos! :laugh:

Morrisey toured again this year, but it's just not the same without Johnny Marr, is it? o_O
My friend Lorraine was living in Manchester and saw them several times. :laugh:

We always think - maybe I'll go and see them next time. And then the buggers split up. :laugh:

Dec 31, 2008
Japan
Bloody hell! You don't want much, do you?
This is after an hour of thinking;

METAL 1978-1981
Led Zeppelin
Iron Maiden x 4
Def Leppard
Judas Priest
Saxon
Motorhead
UFO x 2
Whitesnake
Ian Gillan
Michael Schenker x 2
Rainbow (in Manchester)

UNI 1981-1984
U2
Smiths x 2
Bad Manners
Psychadelic Furs
Fall x 2
Orange Juice
Passions
Depeche Mode

NOTTINGHAM 1984-1994
Mission x 3
Jesus and Mary Chain x 2
Spear of Destiny
The The x 2 (First time in Portugal with Johnny Marr playing)
Rage Against the Machine
Ned's Atomic Dustbin
Wedding Present
Dinosaur Junior
Half Man Half Biscuit
New Order
Pogues
Big Country
Stranglers
Tom Robinson
Echo and the Bunnymen x 5
Lloyd Cole x 2
Teardrop Explodes
Big Audio Dynamite
Pop Will Eat Itself
Siouxie and the Banshees
Cure
Tom Waites

JAPAN 1994-Now
Oasis
Blur
Pulp
Moby
Garbage
Sleeper
Suede
Coldplay x 3
Richard Ashcroft
Underworld
Fat Boy Slim
Placebo
Ting Tings
Radiohead
Prodigy
Green Day
Devo
Sex Pistols
Ramones
Travis
Kooks

SILLY
Gary Glitter x3
Sweet
Slade
Chas and Dave

FESTIVALS
Knebworth
Reading x 3
Summer Sonic (Tokyo) x 2

(I didn't include all the little piddly festival bands only the Headliners)

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Wow - lot of great bands there folks. When I can get my memory in order (bad day yesterday) mine'll be a very short list. Very interested in one of Tina's bands - The Tossers :twisted:

Chris'll know - ;) we've had a 'two nations divided by the same language' moment with the noun version of the verb 'to toss' which has caused much merriment as I took all forms (except the noun) off the 'bad word filter' list on our forum when we found out that they were all completely harmless words for our North American cousins. When I'd finished explaining (politely) why Tosser had to stay on the banned list my friend from N. Carolina finally realised why I had had over a hissy fit over Bitch being banned - which is apparently very nearly as bad as the C word over there and in Canada too... :eek:

Chris was possibly not so keen, but I liked what they'd done with the word 'cock' - it's gets translated as lollipop which is great fun when you're talking about lollipoptails... :twisted:

Endless fun with euphemisms when you operate a rigidly family-friendly website :laugh:

Dec 31, 2008
Japan
As this is a music thread I want to get something off my chest which I mentioned in passing on a different thread.

The Arctic Monkeys, a band who I saw in Japan on April 4 2006.

A british band whose first album 4 years ago was absolutely wonderful.
Here's a video, it's dark, but the song is all about a dark subject.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W_hEdt1Xes

The second album was good, but for some reason they swapped their screechy guitar for a twangy one. Some good tracks but some duffers as well.

The latest album called Humbug has just been released and it's utterly pants!

Last week it went straight into #1 in the UK album charts but it's awful. I have listened to it 5 times and really want to like it, but I can't.

It's the music equivalent of "Making Money"

(Finished, I feel better now)

PS I love Green Day's 21st Century Breakdown

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I have to say Pooh that Genesis were just the same. They started off doing really good stuff that was thoughtful, musical and artistic but gradually it seems to become more about making stuff that would sell to the public in general.

Take 'Supper's Ready' from their album 'Foxtrot' - it's incredible and it's just under 23 minutes long. It was designed to fit on a single or to be listened to by people with an attention span of no more than 5 minutes, it's meant to be heard as a whole. There's no way The Phil Collins Band, sorry, I mean Genesis would do that now and most of their original fans have long gone.

When Peter Gabriel left it was a blow, but after Steve Hackett left they totally sold out. :(

I suppose you can't blame bands for wanting to make money. :rolleyes:

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
Oh boy, this is going to date me.

Adam and the Ants
Billy Idol
Men at Arms
The Romantics
Huey Lewis and the News
Def Leppard
Garth Brooks
Stray Cats

Met Adam Ant, Billy Idol and Men at Arms. The best shows were Huey Lewis and Garth Brooks. I would love to see the Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Harry Connick Jr. and the Brian Setzer Orchestra.

Dec 31, 2008
Japan
Tonyblack said:
... but gradually it seems to become more about making stuff that would sell to the public in general.
But that's not exactly what I'm saying. I'm saying the album is awful, not a sell-out. All the people who are buying it because it's trendy, are in for a very rude awakening.

I know Genesis sold out, I'd say after Gabriel left. Peter Gabriel I have a lot of respect for, but Phil Collins I really don't like.

Golden Earring?! Are they still going? Radar love - What a song! :laugh:

Jason

Special Constable
Jul 10, 2008
Pontarddulais - Wales
discworldmonthly.co.uk
I had tickets to see the stones in the early 90's. Drove to Wembley only to be told by a policeman that the gig had been cancelled because one of the band had cut his hand. The gig got re-scheduled but right in the middle of my exams so I had to miss it.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Catch-up said:
Oh boy, this is going to date me.

Adam and the Ants
Billy Idol
You lucky thing, seeing Adam and the Ants! They are so cool 8)

Saw Billy about 3 years ago I think. He hasn't aged at all. Still got it! This was me: :eek:

User Menu

Newsletter