What Would You Like To See?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Mar 5, 2009
lancashire
AceTrilby said:
Who's Wee Dug said:
Tonyblack said:
Batty said:
chris.ph said:
welcome to the site ace trilby :)
and vampire jokes are a pain in the neck :laugh: :laugh:
somebody was going to do the joke ;)
... As long as the joke isn't in vein...

:oops:
Bloody hell you two! :rolleyes: ;)
That's right go for the Jugular :)
This is no time for fighting - I think we all need to take a coffin break. :p
I laughed so hard i got a pain in the neck :laugh:

Jul 25, 2008
Tucson, Arizona, U.S.A.
lance-constable rose said:
AceTrilby said:
Who's Wee Dug said:
Tonyblack said:
Batty said:
chris.ph said:
welcome to the site ace trilby :)
and vampire jokes are a pain in the neck :laugh: :laugh:
somebody was going to do the joke ;)
... As long as the joke isn't in vein...

:oops:
Bloody hell you two! :rolleyes: ;)
That's right go for the Jugular :)
This is no time for fighting - I think we all need to take a coffin break. :p
I laughed so hard i got a pain in the neck :laugh:
Don't you think that shedding some light (but not dark light) on the subject might stop all these vampire jokes. :laugh: Think it's time to call Otto.

S@mwich

Lance-Constable
Apr 16, 2012
The last discworld book, a mass effort of all all our disc heroes ( and villains ), the donegen dimensions break free on the disc, the ice giants are aroused, the gods are no where to be found, and the horsemen are getting ready for the final time, and hence death can't handle the dead (all in the history of the discworld, that we might want to come back)

And in the end, the world turtle will die, but a new universe (created by morts world pearl) will house the surviving inhabitants of the disc

TimBou

Lance-Constable
Feb 29, 2012
Canberra, Australia
S@mwich said:
The last discworld book, a mass effort of all all our disc heroes ( and villains ), the donegen dimensions break free on the disc, the ice giants are aroused, the gods are no where to be found, and the horsemen are getting ready for the final time, and hence death can't handle the dead (all in the history of the discworld, that we might want to come back)

And in the end, the world turtle will die, but a new universe (created by morts world pearl) will house the surviving inhabitants of the disc
Sounds interesting, kind of like Discworld meets Riverworld...

francis

May 2, 2012
S@mwich said:

Personally I thought Reaper Man/Thief Of Time/The Light Fantastic/The Last Hero already nailed the various aspects of this. I think Death even witnesses the birth of a new universe at the end of Eric, doesn't he?

As much as it would pain me to lose a man like Vetinari, there was a post on the first page about Moist running for public office that I thought would be a brilliant book. What's a more fertile ground for Discworld jibes than general elections? Bribes, threats, smear campaigns, Watergate-style conspiracies, guild alliances - and as I've posted elsewhere, I have a pet theory that Vetinari's been grooming Moist as his eventual successor... Raising Taxes is all well and good, but I'd much rather see a trilogy that began with a literal horse-race get capped off with a figurative one instead.

Imagineer

May 1, 2012
Utopia, Northwest USA
I want a book called "The Exhaustive Fictionary" about a man that actually thinks he may be able to write an actual fictioary.

The main character is a man named L'Mage (garbage) that meets with 4 other professors at "the university" and discuss psychology/anthropology, logic/economics, iconoclasm.. one professor for each topic. He is a history/english professor.

The hero, "L'Mage" listens and complements each professor and actually keeps it altogether because, actually, he's the only one listening.

He goes home to his classic english empire library and writes entries for each peice of fictionary. The discussions greatly impress L'Mage in his definitions of each entry. In time, you don't need to sit on the discussions because you know who said what because Moby Dick is all about statistices, and The Three Muscateers is all about Porthos.

Nov 25, 2010
London UK
www.youtube.com
I started writing a fanfic a while ago - I didn't mean to, it just kinda ambushed me. Anyway I managed to abandon the project/escape its clutches and I've no intention of continuing it so I'll lay out how it would have developed -

Vetinari is murdered, he's arranged to leave the city to/coerce into taking over, Vimes. On his death Vetinari is informed he's become a god, as the object of worship of the sapient rats of A/M who go on a holy war, wiping out the non-believing "normal" rats. Vetinari's head was bashed in by someone weilding a mystic statuette of Offler. No great mystery surrounding whodunit, cheif suspect a certain Colonel Condiment who has dissappeared.

While this is going on the new underground railway system (The Pipe) has opened up and is being extended across the city.

While the search goes on Vimes outlaws the guild of theives, coercing the guild into transforming into insurance agents/security sources and such like. Some of the theives don't like this and cause trouble/go underground, of course. He gets a complaint from a dwarf that there's a rat shortage - caused by the holy war - that he blames on the crocodile-in-the-sewers urban myth that Vimes doesn't believe in. Nevertheless he says he'll put his most experienced men on the case, thus getting Fred and Nobby out of the way of the crimewave.

Meanwhile a young man (of impressive physical stature) known as H3 inherits his grandfather's house by the docks. In the cellar he finds a secret lair containing many devices - grappling hooks/breathing apparatus/net throwers etc using spring and compressed air tech based on doodles in a schoolboy's copybook. Yes, LdQ. Of course. Also in the lair is a costume/armour suit/diving suit.

Vimes sets democritisation in motion. There's some trouble with the spell the wizards lay on the ballot boxes so they become ballet boxes - they still count each vote once but the voter has to do a plie while they vote. Which is why Nobby is wearing a tutu as he patrols the sewers with Fred. Probably. In one of their rambling conversations Fred tells a tale of the bad old days of mad tyrants when he was a lad it was said that the spirit of the city came alive and protected the people when the guards couldn't or wouldn't. A shadowy figure known only as The Crimson Hippo.

Which is what H3 has found, of course, the helmet of the suit being hippo head shaped. He makes contact with the dwarf artificer who made the stuff for his grandfather and they refurb all the old equipment. It's apparant that his grandfather moved around the city utilising the ancient sewers. H3 means to take up where his grandather left off.

Meanwhile Colonel Condiment has been transformed by the blood on the mystic statuette of Offler into a half man-half crocodile monster.

So, moving around the sewers we have The Crocodile, Fred and Nobby, a mob of theives, an emergent rat civilisation, dwarvish engineers who keep breaking through as they're tunneling for The Pipe and The Crimson Hippo. They come together in various combinations. The theives don't like Fred and Nobby Snooping around. The rats venerate Fred and Nobby for their Vetinari connection (Jingo). The Dwarves want to eat the rats. The Hippo gets blamed for some of the bodies turning up - torn to pieces by The Crocodile.

A climactic battle between The Crocodile and the Hippo - I wanted to get the tutu around the Hippo but haven't quite worked out how - witnessed by Carrot. We have the Jaws ending in which the Hippo is injured but manages to stagger away. Carrot gives chase in the manner in which he was instructed (by Nobby) when he joined the force, i.e. running no faster than a gentle stroll. Allowing the Hippo to get away.

The results of the election are in. To Vimes's horror he finds that he's won. He hadn't even known he was running. Much to blame for his success is surreptitious canvassing by Carrot. The rat shortage is solved by Dibbler who persuads the smart rats to farm the normal ones for him to supply to the dwarves.

The Crimson Hippo heals his wounds, repairs his equipment and prepares to go out to protect the good* people of Ankh-Morpork once more.

so... a superhero story. Here's links to the opening parts for those who haven't been bored by them already.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2292
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2399
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2441
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2486
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2414
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2503

*For a given value of "good"

prajuvikas

Lance-Constable
Jan 6, 2012
I just finished (re re re re) reading Thief of Time and am hungry for another Auditors book.
SO I thought up an idea for an Auditors plot and potentially a grand finale for the series too!

In Going Postal, BSJ designed the sorter assuming Pi was 'about' 3...What if the Auditors started enforing the rules of the universe beginning with making Pi exactly 3.1412 etc etc. That might start forcing the Discworld to become round! Plus a brilliant author like TP, could slowly intruduce the concept...you know like starting the book with 3 hippos swimming across the Ankh and 1 turtle with 4 elephants etc etc to spin out the numbers of Pi...
Other constants of teh universe might also come into play?

Ponder and the Wizards would feature for sure (maybe even Rincewind and his half brick). So detectoring my either Vimes or the witches (or the history monks) to solve the long number puzzle...Death would have to feature since the auditors would be involved.
Might be grand :)

May 13, 2012
Much as I like Sam Vimes and Sybil, Snuff felt like a farewell to them, with Sam finally finding a kind of peace with himself and the world.
I should like to read more about Moist though! Although not at the loss of Vetinari as someone suggested earlier. Mind you, he'd be tough to remove, having survived being turned into a lizard, imprisoned, and assassinated ...

S@mwich

Lance-Constable
Apr 16, 2012
prajuvikas said:
I just finished (re re re re) reading Thief of Time and am hungry for another Auditors book.
SO I thought up an idea for an Auditors plot and potentially a grand finale for the series too!

In Going Postal, BSJ designed the sorter assuming Pi was 'about' 3...What if the Auditors started enforing the rules of the universe beginning with making Pi exactly 3.1412 etc etc. That might start forcing the Discworld to become round! Plus a brilliant author like TP, could slowly intruduce the concept...you know like starting the book with 3 hippos swimming across the Ankh and 1 turtle with 4 elephants etc etc to spin out the numbers of Pi...
Other constants of teh universe might also come into play?

Ponder and the Wizards would feature for sure (maybe even Rincewind and his half brick). So detectoring my either Vimes or the witches (or the history monks) to solve the long number puzzle...Death would have to feature since the auditors would be involved.
Might be grand :)
Sounds perfect, the main thing is that it can be really long and have heaps of disc characters, but probably it would be better if they were all dealing with the problem in their own way/without knowing what else is going on, also it should have lots of references/cameos of things from other books.
Also, if vetrinari dies then it would be all clear to have a 3rd moist book about election campaigns.

User Menu

Newsletter