WHATS YOUR FAVOURITE SCENES IN DISCWORLD NOVELS !!!

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Favourite quote ever:

(Guards!Guards!)

"Codpiece like in fish?" Said Carrot, mystified.
"No. It's for the fighting," Mumbled Varneshi. "You should wear it all the time. Protects your vitals, like."
Carrot tried it on.
"It's a bit small, Mr Varneshi."
"That's because you don't wear it on your head, you see."

First time I read that I was like *A* God bless Carrot :laugh:

mazza

Aug 29, 2010
Favourite bits

Love the scene where Death drnks the pub dry,even the scumble, before he goes off to join the Klatchian foreign legion.

Most of the Vimes/Vetinari scenes

Scenes with Greebo as a human "you carrrn't have my fissh eggssss"

The young vampires in Carpe Jugulum pretending to be human teenagers - wearing no makeup and calling themselves Jane...

Magrat fighting elves in Lords and Ladies

The barricades parts of Night Watch

Aug 12, 2010
Bristol
' in front of-well he had to think of it as the usurping Hogfather-was a small child of indeterminate sex who seemed to be mostly woollen bobble hat. '

WHY ARE YOUR HANDS ON BITS OF STRING, CHILD?

the child looked down the length of its arms to the dangling mittens affixed to its sleeves. It held them up for inspection.

"Glubs" it said

I SEE. VERY PRACTICAL :laugh:

Aug 12, 2010
Bristol
heres another one though was tempted to put up part of jingo where nobby is in womens clothing getting in touch with his feminine side.

but cracking up with this scene from the last continent

The Senior Wrangler hammered the Dean hard on the back.
"it's alright "squeaked the Dean"often...have...these...coughing...fits"
the God scribbled industriously for a few seconds and then stopped and chewed the end of the pencil thoughtfully.
"and all this er, this sex is done by unskilled labour?" he said
"oh , yes"
"no quality control of any description?"
"er,no"
"how does your species go about it?" said the God. He looked questioningly at Ponder.
"it...er...we...er " Ponder stuttered
"we avoid it" said Ridcully"nasty cough you've got there dean" :laugh:

Turtles4Ever

Lance-Constable
Jun 6, 2010
Crumbs, so many to choose from but here's a few off the top of my head (spoilers of course!):

Reaper Man - the scene at the end of the book with Death looking out on his field of golden corn, waving gently in the 'wind'. Beautiful

The Wee Free Men - the whole sequence near the end with Tiffany making her 'connection' with the land, understanding it and being in awe of it all. An astounding scene that reminded me of a sequence in the late Robert Holdstock's wonderful novel 'Lavondyss'

A Hat Full of Sky - the Nac Mac Feegles and their first attempt at a 'human' creation dressed in stolen boots, coat, hat and a beard. LOVE that and the exchanges between the Feegles, always makes me laugh my socks off. :laugh:

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
What about the fantastic love scene in Fifth elephant when Carrot declares he would be the one to kill Angua if he had to.
So sweet in a wierd way. :cry: :cry:

Apr 29, 2009
London
It does indeed, which brings me neatly back to one of my favourite Discworld bits, from Making Money, when the dog gets hold of the, errr, toy, and is buzzing around under the meeting table.

:laugh: :laugh:

Aug 12, 2010
Bristol
Another scene thats quite funny =Death and Rincewind in a cell

"...Deaths eyesockets glowed as he interrogated his memory.

AH,YES...INSIDE A CROCODILE. SEVERAL HUNDRED MILES AWAY, I BELIEVE.

"What ? Then why are you here?"

OH, I THOUGHT YOU MIGHT LIKE TO SEE A FRIENDLY FACE. AND NOW I THINK I HAD BETTER BE GOING. Death stood up. VERY PLEASANT CITY IN MANY RESPECTS.TRY TO SEE THE OPERA HOUSE WHILE YOU'RE HERE.

"Hang on ... I mean , you told me I was certainly going to die!"

EVERYONE IS. EVENTUALLY.

The wall opened and closed around Death as if it wasn't there, which was, from his lengthy perspective quite true.
"But how ? I can't walk through---"Rincewind began.
He sat down again. The sheep cowered in the corner."

poor sheep :laugh:

joemcf

Constable
Apr 12, 2010
Bothwell, Scotland
Right, have to do 3 as i can't choose between them:

1) In Guards Guards when Vimes realises that the bars are on the inside of the cell door, not the outisde. Just kinda found that really clever.

2) Guards Guards again, when Wonse whispers Help Me to the crowd visiting the new leader of the city.

3) In Men at Arms (i know, another watch book) when Carrot meets the patrician. The whole scene is well done but the bit when Vetinari parallels Carrot's comments througout the book with "Do you know where the word Politician comes from...?" Fantastic writing IMO.

TBH my favourite parts of Discworld novels are the clever moments than the kinda absurds ones. There are funny clever moments as well, but these were my favourites.

User Menu

Newsletter