WHATS YOUR FAVOURITE SCENES IN DISCWORLD NOVELS !!!

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Oct 12, 2011
RathDarkblade said:
One of my favourite scenes is the extended lunch scene at the opera house in "Maskerade". Gytha Ogg, may you be forgiven indeed! :laugh:
Yes, on my first reading, I did wonder if Granny was going to lose her ability to tame unicorns... :icon-eek:

Feb 4, 2013
Pretty much any scene involving Cohen, Teach, and the Silver Horde in Interesting Times. It really is astounding just how Pratchett could make looters, killers, and rapists as unobjectionable as grizzled but likeable working men down the pub, and endearing in their own naive way.

What especially makes it funny is how Teach treats them as any class of small, easily distracted but keen children. Special mention must go to his list of acceptable swearwords, his explanation of why "I would rather die..." is NOT a literal deathwish, and his attempts to get Cohen to buy an apple, especially when Cohen misconstrues the meaning of the phrase "venerable one". I could pick out a dozen others.

Also, Mad Hamish is such a simple one-joke character, but he never got old. ("Whut?")

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
LOL!!! Yes, yes indeed. I just finished re-listening to Stephen Briggs's reading of The Last Hero, so I know almost exactly what you're referring to, Aquamarine. ;)

One of my favourite bits from Interesting Times is when Rincewind explains his philosophy to the Red Army - about the fact that the man who shouts "Forward, brave comrades" will be the only one behind the really big rock and wearing the only arrow-proof helmet - and that's why he was leaving them.

"Good grief, how can you live like that?"

Rincewind took a deep breath.

"Continuously!"

Cue everyone getting arrested... ;)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By the way, speaking of 'Teach' Saveloy, I just thought of something. Has anyone noticed that Teach trying to get the Silver Horde to learn something was quite similar to Harry Dread trying to show the Silver Horde how to plan? Both hilarious, of course, but in different ways... just similar.

Also by the way, and speaking of Mad Hamish... one of my favourite bits from TLH:

'Well, when I was a lad,' said Truckle, 'if you wanted to get a girl's int'rest, you had to cut off your worst enemy's wossname and present it to her.'

'Whut?'

'I SAID, YOU HAD TO CUT OFF YOUR WORST ENEMY'S WOSSNAME AND PRESENT IT TO HER!'

'Aye, romance is a wonderful thing,' said Mad Hamish.

Feb 4, 2013
That's honestly one of my favourite Rincewind moments. In fact, I like the whole segment where he's pointing out how the Red Army are being manipulated, and then questioning their heroic ideals by pointing out how little they're involved with the peasants they're supposed to be fighting for. It's one of those times where his cowardice and pragmatism are shown in an admirable light, as he's actually thinking about things and using them for ethical criticism.

Not that I mind the whole unlucky plaything-of-the-gods "Oh s**t this time I'm really going to die" schtick, but it's nice to get some depth out of him too.

RathDarkblade said:
LOL!!! Yes, yes indeed. I just finished re-listening to Stephen Briggs's reading of The Last Hero, so I know almost exactly what you're referring to, Aquamarine. ;)[/i]
I haven't read The Last Hero in donkey's years. Probably should do; although I don't remember finding it particularly good compared with the rest of Terry Pratchett's work, I do remember some of the jokes, like:

- "We who are about to die don't want to"

- Carrot planting a flag on the moon just because

- Rincewind volunteering for the mission, followed by him confusing Vetinari with his defeatist logic,

- Vetinari pointing out that the traditional hero isn't actually all that heroic

- The diagram of Rincewind's suit explaining that the helmet suddenly turning red is a measure of how well sealed it is against the pressure

Perhaps I should track down a copy and read it again, if only to bring more jokes back to the surface.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Evil Harry and his evil henchmen are to die for. Classic roleplaying humour.

I'd say that Cohen and his Silver Horde are just as funny as the Nac Mac Feegles, especially when they're trying to come up with a coherent plan. Hmm... perhaps the NMF are simply the continuation of the Silver Horde? They seem to share certain... mental faculties (or lack thereof). Also, both the NMF and the SH know the meaning of the word 'fear' - it's something that happens to other people. ;)

Feb 4, 2013
RathDarkblade said:
Evil Harry and his evil henchmen are to die for. Classic roleplaying humour.
I'm surprised, but I forgot almost entirely about them. Didn't his henchmen all get killed in the first fight?

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Yep. As Cohen and Harry relate later...

'Wonderful display by your henchmen, Harry,' said Cohen. 'Stupidity wasn't the word for it. Never seen so many people hit themselves over the head with their own swords.'

'They were good lads,' said Harry. 'Morons to the end.'

But I got a much bigger laugh from Harry introducing his henchmen. ("Dat's me.") ;)

Perestroika

Lance-Corporal
Jun 16, 2011
Västerhaninge, Sweden
www.facebook.com
ugh. seriously? I have to come up with a list?
well, in no particular fashioned order:

1. Dorfl coming back to life in Feet of Clay and writing 'Words In The heart Cannot Be taken'. I cry every time.
2. pretty much every scene involving man-grebo.
3. Death trying to convince the swan to sing in mascarade.
4. Rincewind and the wizards from xxxx in the caves getting drunk on funnelweb.
5. Mr Tulip and Mr Pin robbing the tempal in the truth.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Perestroika said:
ugh. seriously? I have to come up with a list?
well, in no particular fashioned order:

1. Dorfl coming back to life in Feet of Clay and writing 'Words In The heart Cannot Be taken'. I cry every time.
2. pretty much every scene involving man-grebo.
3. Death trying to convince the swan to sing in mascarade.
4. Rincewind and the wizards from xxxx in the caves getting drunk on funnelweb.
5. Mr Tulip and Mr Pin robbing the tempal in the truth.
#2 and #3 for me as well. I knew I liked Maskerade for a reason. Plus Nanny and Granny discussing what opera is, and Nanny and Granny during the luncheon scene ("with extra chocolate sauce, Gytha Ogg, may you be forgiven")... plus Perdita's audition scene, and the translation. ("This damn' door sticks!") *LOL* I've done plenty of auditions, so I understand and sympathise with poor Perdita. :)

Maskerade is one of my favourites, naturally. ;)

I don't remember Mr Tulip and Mr Pin robbing a temple in The Truth... can someone remind me, please?

And while we're at it... anything involving chocolate in Thief of Time - and any scene that involves the Four (Five?) Horsemen of the Apocralypse. *BWG*

Feb 4, 2013
RathDarkblade said:
I don't remember Mr Tulip and Mr Pin robbing a temple in The Truth... can someone remind me, please?
Pages 243-245 in my paperback version, after a scene of Slant meeting his mysterious employers in the ballroom and before the scene of William looking for scales to work out the weight of the money Vetinari apparently tried to steal.

It's a damn good scene. They rob the temple in order to get disguises so they can infiltrate the press' headquarters for the dogs. Partway through, a priest walks in and Mr Pin prepares to hit him with a candlestick. Mr Tulip, being of the artistic persuasion, takes it off him in disgust and has an unexpected but thorough discussion with the confused priest over the value of the "Futtock" ("it's just a shame he had such a -ing stupid name."). Then Mr Tulip decks the priest in one blow.

"And they were just keeping it in a -ing cupboard," he said. "Honestly, I could -ing spit!"
Mr Tulip is pure comedy gold.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Mr Tulip's conversation with Death is heart-wrenching, and his reincarnation is side-splittingly, pants-wettingly hilarious.

All I can say about Mr Pin's reincarnation is that it's... appropriate. (But Death gets an absolute PLUM of a scene with Mr Pin, culminating in a wonderful reference to The Phantom). *BWG*

Mixa

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia
Oh yeah! The ending is perfect! I love Discworld books because, although they show you mankind’s injustice and cruelty, in the end the “bad guys” pay for their crimes one way or another ^.^

Mx

Ignisis

Lance-Constable
Aug 8, 2020
the intro of Mort cracks me up:

'Reannuals are plants that grow backwards in time. You sow the seeds this year and they grow last year. ... if you forget to sow the seeds of a crop that has already been harvested 12 months before, risks disturbing the entire fabric of causality, not to mention acute embarrassment'

pure genius

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Yep! The end of the world we can deal with, but severe embarrassment is something else. :mrgreen: The idea is reminiscent of the scene where Chief Postal Inspector Rumbelow ordered everyone else out and shut down B. S. Johnson's Mail-Sorting Engine by
belting it with a crowbar.
But the wizards of UU cautioned against this, as it would destroy the world!

When hauled before the Postmaster-General and asked whe he risked destroying the universe, Rumbelow answered thus:
"Well, I figured that if I did no-one would notice, plus when I hit it the first time the wizards legged it, so unless they had another universe to go to it meant they weren't certain. Plus the whirring was getting on my nerves, sir."

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Hmm. Can you please remind me how that one goes? *thinks* I didn't think A-M had coffee as early as SM. The words "coffee shop scene" remind me of the dwarf-and-troll-in-a-coffee-shop-on-a-railway-platform scene in "Raising Steam" -- that was a heart-warming scene. :)

User Menu

Newsletter