WHATS YOUR FAVOURITE SCENES IN DISCWORLD NOVELS !!!

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Jack Remillard

Lance-Corporal
Oct 27, 2009
A Vimes scene which comes to mind is the bit in Feet Of Clay when he's been set up, and people come in expecting him to be drunk. :laugh:

"Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers," he snarled, prodding the man in the chest. "A peck of bloody pickled peppers Peter Piper damn well picked. Do you want me to continue?" He said, poking the man until his back was against the wall. "It doesn't get much better!"
But he has so many great scenes!

My favourite Granny Weatherwax scene is her confrontation with the vampires at the end of Carpe Jugulum. :)

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Although it doesn't actually fit into my top favourite scenes, the scene where Vimes goes berserker at the end of Thud! made an impression on me. I was surprised and heartwarmed when young Sam heard Vimes reading Where is My Cow? from so far away. And I enjoyed that whole thing with the Guarding Dark.

It made enough of an impression on me that it was one of the few Discworld scenes that I thought should have the backing of real-life music. I mentioned in my review blog, after reading and reviewing Moving Pictures, that the scene where Giga-Ginger comes out of the screen near the end should have the backing of Martin Slavin's Space Adventure (specifically the part from about 1:10).

Well, while I only got that impression on a second read-through of Moving Pictures, almost immediately after reading Thud! for the first time a couple of years back, I felt that this rather atmospheric piece from Silent Hill 2, called Betrayal, fitted that scene. However, I feel thatthis fan remix of the same music is probably more fitting.

Hmm. Maybe I should make a separate thread. 'Music to listen to Pratchett to'.

Nov 25, 2010
London UK
www.youtube.com
one scene I like which proves Nobby aint quite as daft as he appears -

~"King?" he wheezed, "And have Mr. Vimes cut me head off?"
"All the brandy you can drink, my lord," said a wheedling voice.
"'S no good if you aint got a throat for it to go down!"
"What are you talking about?"
"Mr Vimes'd go spare! He'd go spare!"
"Good heavens man-"
"My lord," someone corrected.
"My lord, I mean - when you're king you can tell that wretched Sir Samuel what to do. You'd be, as you would call it "the boss". You could -"
"Tell Ole Stoneface what to do?" said Nobby.
"That's right!"
"I'd be king and tell Ole Stoneface what to do?" said Nobby.
"Yes!"
Nobby stared into the smoky gloom."
"He'd go spare!"
"Listen you silly little man - "
"My lord - "
"You silly little lord, you'd be able to have him executed if you wished!"
"I couldn't do that!"
"Why not?"
"He'd go spare!"

(Feet of Clay)
that was one of the really laugh out loud moments for me

meerkat

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jan 16, 2010
Pocklington East Riding Yorkshire
Rincewind in Fourecks meeting Mad the Dwarf IT
Hex whenever he's telling 'lies to Humans' or just one-upping the Wizards
TFE when Sybil bargains with the Low King for the fat (clever)
The Wizards in IT when the Barking Dog arrives in the magic circle (I laugh out loud every time I read that bit! It's just like a pantomime)
The Assassin's attempt to 'sight' Vimes in NW
The Death of Rats thoughts, in Hogfather
The talk between Achmed and Vimes at the ruins in J
Cheery's bravery in showing she is a female in FOC
And all the reactions between DEATH and the recently departed.

And many many more!

Siren

Lance-Constable
Apr 27, 2011
Southampton,UK
Quatermass said:
Although it doesn't actually fit into my top favourite scenes, the scene where Vimes goes berserker at the end of Thud! made an impression on me.
Me too! I was sat on the busy train home when reading that section for the first time, desperatly trying not to burst out laughing like a loon....

Ooh, more of a quote than a scene but from Wintersmith (my current read)

"They still stared. Feegles have very worrying stares. They're even worse than chickens in that respect.

'A metaphore is a kind o' lie to help people understand what's true,'
said Billy Bigchin, but this didn't help much.

'And he won her freedom by playing beautiful music', Roland added.
'I think he played a lute. Or maybe it was a lyre.'

'Ach, weel, that'll suit us fine,' said Daft Wullie.
'We're experts at looting an' then lyin' aboot it.'"

:laugh: Aren't Feegles just the best?!

hazel8252

Lance-Constable
May 27, 2011
Too many to choose, but:
I love the scene in Maskerade where Nanny serves the pudding, cracks me up every time.
Also throughout the whole of The Fifth Elephant when Sybil is trying to tell Vimes her 'news'.
Hogfather, where Ridcully uses the Johnson bathroom (then has it sealed up again straight afterwards!)
And pretty much any scene involving the librarian!

Apr 29, 2009
London
I can't remember if I've posted this before on this thread, but the scene when the farmhouse lands on Nanny in Witches Abroad.

I roared with laughter when I first read that.

Teppic

Lance-Corporal
Jan 29, 2011
Outskirts of Londinium
MongoGutman said:

"Good heavens man-"
"My lord, I mean - when you're king you can tell that wretched Sir Samuel what to do. You'd be, as you would call it "the boss". You could -"
"That's right!"
"Yes!"
"He'd go spare!"
"My lord - "
"I couldn't do that!"
"Why not?"
"He'd go spare!"

(Feet of Clay)
I love that scene as well. And the one that follows when he begins telling stories at the banquet. I haven't got through all the novels yet so I don't know if he and Nanny Ogg ever meet...but a duet of the hedgehog song or something similar would surely result?

Actually, about the "Vimes will go spare!" scene; I can actually remember exactly where I was when I was laughing to myself walking down the street listening to that on audiobook. That's the trouble with these Pratchett audiobooks, they're great when you're on a train or whatever but you don't half get some funny looks.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
hazel8252 said:
Too many to choose, but:
I love the scene in Maskerade where Nanny serves the pudding, cracks me up every time.
Also throughout the whole of The Fifth Elephant when Sybil is trying to tell Vimes her 'news'.
Hogfather, where Ridcully uses the Johnson bathroom (then has it sealed up again straight afterwards!)
And pretty much any scene involving the librarian!
Welcome to the site, hazel! :laugh:

Apr 2, 2011
Cardiff, Wales
Teppic said:
MongoGutman said:

"Good heavens man-"
"That's right!"

"Yes!"
"He'd go spare!"
"My lord - "
"I couldn't do that!"
"Why not?"
"He'd go spare!"

(Feet of Clay)
I love that scene as well. And the one that follows when he begins telling stories at the banquet. I haven't got through all the novels yet so I don't know if he and Nanny Ogg ever meet...but a duet of the hedgehog song or something similar would surely result?

Actually, about the "Vimes will go spare!" scene; I can actually remember exactly where I was when I was laughing to myself walking down the street listening to that on audiobook. That's the trouble with these Pratchett audiobooks, they're great when you're on a train or whatever but you don't half get some funny looks.
As a matter of fact, Nanny and Nobby DO meet in one of the Witches books, Masquerade.
I'm not going to go into the spoilers and ruin your reading, but it was a highly amusing moment which featured Nanny preventing intrusion by being intrusive.

hazel8252

Lance-Constable
May 27, 2011
Thanks for the welcome!

I just lent my Dad the Fifth Elephant - couldn't believe he hadn't read that one, he was the one who introduced me to Discworld. I always forget this scene but then I laugh at it again when I read the book, where Sam and Sibyl are laid in bed listening to Igor take the animal heads off the walls - genius!

Shinymetal

Lance-Constable
Jan 27, 2017
Matanzas, Cuba
Okay I know no one has posted here since ages ago, but I also I really wanted to tell everyone my favourite scene:

In The Truth when Vimes and Angua are talking about the bets against William DeWorde and he orders her to find who's the bookie (not sure if this is the right word) and as soon as she finds that is Nobby take the book from him. :laugh:

Man, I kept re-reading that scene like twenty times.

User Menu

Newsletter