cosplay

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

kakaze

Lance-Corporal
Jun 3, 2009
Hi,

I'm planning to cosplay at the NADWcon. This will be my first time, both going to a convention and cosplaying. However, I want to take full-part in the convention and not just be a lurker.

I've found a page that pretty much shows now to not do cosplay.

http://unrealitymag.com/index.php/2009/ ... -all-time/

Although, I think the pink-haired kitty isn't too bad...

Dec 31, 2008
Japan
Yes. Japanese word, short for costume play, anime-related. Usually involves sexy young women dressing up as French maids etc. There are cafes in Akihabara where Otaku (men who like looking at nubile young women dressed in skimpy French maid costumes etc) go and have a good ogle. 8)

kakaze

Lance-Corporal
Jun 3, 2009
Tonyblack said:
A quick rewind there kakaze - what's cosplay? It's a new word to me. o_O Is it dressing as a favourite character? :laugh:
Ah, now... you didn't actually read the webpage, did you? Were you too busy looking at the girl dressed in nothing but feathers and pink hair?

unrealitymag.com said:
For those that need a refresher course:

Cosplay short for “costume play,” is a type of performance art whose participants outfit themselves, with often-elaborate costumes and accessories, as a specific character or idea. Characters are usually sourced in various Japanese and East Asian media, including manga, anime, tokusatsu, comic books, graphic novels, video games, and fantasy movies.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Darn it - you caught me out! :oops: :laugh:

So what or who are you thinking of going as?

I know that at the DW events I've been to the costumes tend to vary considerably.

Here for example is some of the Hogfather's Helpers humiliating me. :laugh:

This guy is wearing an incredible Detritus costume.

And here's Butcher as seen in The Last Hero. :laugh:

Dec 31, 2008
Japan
Cosplay is a Japanese word which has a lot of sexual innuendo attached to it. Cosplay is all about titilation. It's all about young girls wearing sexy clothes copying characters from anime. Fancy dress is not cosplay. Fancy dress doesn't have restrictions on size, weight and age.

Here is an example of cosplay.

kakaze

Lance-Corporal
Jun 3, 2009
poohbcarrot said:
Cosplay is a Japanese word which has a lot of sexual innuendo attached to it. Cosplay is all about titilation. It's all about young girls wearing sexy clothes copying characters from anime. Fancy dress is not cosplay. Fancy dress doesn't have restrictions on size, weight and age.
The innuendo is mainly in Japan. If you do a google image search for "cosplay" you'll find a bunch of under-aged Japanese girls in short skirts, and also a bunch of people in their thirties and fourties dressed up in star wars costumes.

poohbcarrot said:
Here is an example of cosplay.

The image on the left almost looks like CG...

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit said:
I wish I could have a body like that. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
No you don't. Women have no need to be afraid of their wobbly bits. A bouncy castle is more fun than a temple :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter