Favourite character?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Apr 29, 2009
London
I love 'em all.

I too only came to Discworld in the last year or two. I was reading 3 books a week. Superfurryandy was most jealous, and wished he was just discovering them too!

CJDobs

Constable
Sep 10, 2009
Hi

It's always been and always will be Granny Weatherwax for me.

Others that stand out:

CMOT Dibbler - in whatever guise or distant family relative he appeared
Gaspode - er Woof?
Corporal Nobbs - cos he kicks people inna fork.
Archchancellor Ridcully - its them early morning brisk runs and his need to shoot anything that flies, flaps, runs or skitters past him
Bill Door - Skinny bloke with an odd smile :)
Reg Shoe - only because he reminds me of someone I know quite well!

Theres so many memorable characters - I've always enjoyed them much more than the plot!

Vetinari - but I think you lot kind of guessed that ... He's clever, sexy, enigmatic and complex
Vimes - A perfect foil for Vetinari
Death - He's just wonderful ... and my dad says I can read him well!
Sybil - She's just wonderful
Gaspode - 'I did not say Woof ...!'
Constable Visit - I know he's not a big character but I like the fact that he fights on even if he knows it's a losing battle...
Sergeants Detritus, Angua, and Cheery - I love the Troll, Werewolf, Dwarf dynamic...
Human Greebo - Witches Abroad when he turned into a human ... :twisted: drool!
William De Worde and Otto Chriek - Think there should be another William De Worde novel...

Thats it I think!

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Lady Vetinari said:
You got yours???? I thought it came out tomorrow ... okay I know I pre-ordered a bit late but still - I live probably not too far from him ... :( ! (bet I'd have got it if I ordered it from Amazon... :twisted: !)
I got a proof copy. ;)

Taliesin

Lance-Constable
Oct 28, 2009
Nanny Ogg is my absolute favourite, possibly my favourite fictional character ever. Vetinari, Granny Weatherwax, Death, Carrot and Gaspode are all runners up. Although many of the others are not that much further behind.

I like Vimes, but not as much as most people seem to, I actually prefer most of the rest of the watch. The only lead character I'm indifferent to is Moist.

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
Taliesin said:
I like Vimes, but not as much as most people seem to, I actually prefer most of the rest of the watch.
Hi and welcome Taliesin :laugh:

I agree with you 100% there. I like him, but he's just a plodding copper as far as I'm concerned, nothing special.
(We are obviously not "most people")

I do like Moist though.

And I absolutely LOVE Professor Hix. :twisted:

Oct 10, 2009
italy-genova
poohcarrot said:
Taliesin said:
I like Vimes, but not as much as most people seem to, I actually prefer most of the rest of the watch.
Hi and welcome Taliesin :laugh:

I agree with you 100% there. I like him, but he's just a plodding copper as far as I'm concerned, nothing special.
(We are obviously not "most people")

I do like Moist though.

And I absolutely LOVE Professor Hix. :twisted:
I agree about Vimes, but Moist is one of my favourite, after Vetinari of course. He's my number one.
I like Moist as I like Granny and Mustrum (he's wonderful, why nobody name him?).
Then in third position i'd put Nanny, Tick, Tiffany, and the adorable wee free men..

But from what book is Professor Hix? I don't remember him. (if he's from UA no spoilers!)

lyn

Lance-Constable
Oct 12, 2009
Melbourne Australia
like everyone else I find it hard to choose a favourite.
but to name a few..... Mrs Cake - I'd like to see her again in another book.
Qoth the Raven - with his penchant for eyeballs and going undercover in Thief of Time and getting it wrong.
Granny Weatherwax. Susan. Lu-Tze and Lobsang Ludd.
and in Unseen Academicals I loved all the new characters but I think Pepe stood out for me - his micromail doesn't chafe.
but the list could go on and on and...........

moo

Nov 6, 2009
I came across this thread and was shocked that i seemed to be the only person to pick Brutha (from small gods) as my favourite character for reasons best known to someone else. A close second was Vetenari. Other characters of note that I feel have been overlooked are Windle Poons, the bursar, stanley howler and King Verence II of Lancre (maybe because he just changed the side of the door he slept on, when he became King)

User Menu

Newsletter