Least favourite Discworld book

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
A

Anonymous

Dotsie said:
You can say you don't like his work, but to say you're not allowed to criticise the novel because he has Alzheimer's is very insulting. When has that ever been implied on here? He's not some old dodderer that we have to be nice to in case we upset him - allow him the respect of not liking his work. But you have commented often and vehemently on this particular novel - we know that you don't like it, you don't need to go on and on about Mary Sue. The book isn't a personal attack on you, you know.
I know...I'm sorry. :(
As for the first question: Not on here, but check amazon and the comments there, for example, or some non-discworld-specific boards on literature... :(

A

Anonymous

Dotsie said:
Yep, and it's insulting. That's why I said "on here" ;)
Sorry again
(I often don't notice when I rant away/annoy people with it. Just poke me if I do it again :( )

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
archerinwood said:
How can you have a least favourite, they are all brilliant. I don't feel that he is that bothered about having alzheimers, so why should other people be.
Do you really rate them all equally? If you have a favourite, you presumably have a least favourite. :)

rockershovel

Lance-Corporal
Feb 8, 2011
I don't believe ANY author can produce that amount of work to a consistent standard, or without a certain amount of repetition.

Steinbeck produced some real duds. Orwell's earlier novels lack the sheer genius of his last two, or the passion of Road to Wigan Pier. TP is sometimes accused of repetition in reviews, and I think there's some truth in it.

I didn't like Equal Rites, because it's clearly a transitional book between the self-contained style of CoM and the more fully realised Ankh-Morpork of the later books. I didn't like Carpe Jugulem much because it just didn't work for me, and Last Continent and Thief of Time are just too laboured and complex .. they seem to be written in an attempt to get all the themes into the available pages.

I'm not a fan of I Shall Wear Midnight because it seems to me to suffer from a syndrome, but not the one previously mentioned... Niven's Syndrome, by which the plot is contorted into increasingly unworkable shapes in an attempt to tie up a whole range of plot themes which were originally unrelated or had no logical connection.

Ringworld is brilliant, but the subsequent sequels become tangled to the point of unintelligibility. Asimov's later work tends to stray into this area as well, the originally-unrelated "Caves of Steel" "Foundation" and "I, Robot" threads becoming increasingly entangled in an attempt to produce a unified continuity between things that were originally unconnected

One Man Bucket

Lance-Corporal
Oct 8, 2010
Monstrous Regiment. I found the book itself quite boring but then the twist came along and was used so many times that it lost all impact [though it didn't have much to begin with].

I somewhat dislike Night Watch because it was the end of the City Watch books as books about the Watch and the start of them being books about Vimes. There were strong hints before but NW was the final nail in the coffin. The book itself was good.

rockershovel

Lance-Corporal
Feb 8, 2011
MR has a plot fallacy which has to be overlooked.. that a war has been going on for so long that there are virtually no able-bodied men LEFT ( as per the scenes of returning veterans, who all appear to be male ) yet it still isn't generally realised that a significant proportion of the fighting troops are female.

I quite enjoyed it, but I did rather end up feeling that it could have been cut to novella length and focused around Polly and Sgt Jackrum with much the same result and a better structure.

I would disagree about the Watch/Vimes issue. To me, the Watch stories are increasingly falling into a number of elephant traps; most importantly, the Star Trek one whereby Kirk supposedly runs a huge starship but doesn't have anyone on his establishment whose job it is to do the sort of thing he spends most of his time doing.

Plus, the character-driven plot lines are stalling. Fred Colon has aged visibly but Nobby is still the same old Nobby. Carrot and Angua are getting nowhere, or at least not heading in any apparent direction. One-note characters like Washpot and the various dwarfs and trolls - all expecting to be promoted to sergeant - are apparently the mainstay of the force.

meerkat

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jan 16, 2010
Pocklington East Riding Yorkshire
One Man Bucket said:
Monstrous Regiment. I found the book itself quite boring but then the twist came along and was used it so many times that it lost all impact [though it didn't have much to begin with].

I somewhat dislike Night Watch because it was the end of the City Watch books as books about the Watch and the start of them being books about Vimes. There were strong hints before but NW was the final nail in the coffin. The book itself was good.
I agree with you OMB, re: Monstrous Regiment except, it reminded me of the 1950s novellas that hinted at real history but kept the lid on what it was really about. I read it but can't enjoy it as much as I know I want to cos Vimes is in it and I rather like Vimes! :oops: and I don't think he has quite enough to do, so should really have been mentioned and not seen.

One Man Bucket

Lance-Corporal
Oct 8, 2010
@rockershovel

Sounds to me like you're agreeing with me rather than disagreeing with me. If the books were less Vime-centric then we'd get more insight into Carrot and Angua's relationship, we'd see other officers solving major crimes, we'd see Nobby ageing and we'd see more of the average copper on the beat. Instead we're focused on Vimes relationship, Vimes solving crimes, Vimes getting old and Vimes walking the streets when he doesn't have to any more.

In the previous books Carrot was doing so many of Vimes duties that Vimes was free to look at the big picture but nowadays Carrot doesn't seem to do very much of anything. This rather begs the question of why Angua was promoted when Vimes is going to do the duties his Captains are supposed to like dealing with new recruits, paperwork and other somesuch things.

leecos80

Lance-Constable
May 25, 2011
Derby - England
I didn't like unseen academicals much it didn't seem very discworldy if you get what I mean. It was as if someone else had written it and tried to do a dicworld novel. I have read it twice more since then and listened to the audio book version and it's kinda growing on me a bit with time.

leecos80

Lance-Constable
May 25, 2011
Derby - England
I have to say after reading through the thread that I really like Rincewind specially in the last continent. And although nightwatch isn't as funny as some of the others I still love it for story of him being his own teacher and found kinda emotional I guess.

User Menu

Newsletter