North American Discworld Convention 2009

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
I understand how you feel Doug. I'm having mild anxiety attacks about being away from my family. I've been away before, but not for as long. I'll be calling to say goodnight every night too. Perhaps we can help each other remember to take a break from the festivities for this! :laugh:

I'm going to try to start packing early to avoid that last minute, "what have I forgotten" panic. I'd hoped to get in a massage and facial before leaving, but I doubt that will happen at this point.

The rat

Lance-Corporal
Apr 18, 2009
Bad Blintz
If you want you can use my computer to Sykpe if you miss the kids too much!

the tough thing for me is if I have forgotten anything when I go through my bags Wednesday night I will be at my parents house in Quincy which is about a 10 min drive (no traffic) to Logan Airport, while my house is in Fitchburg that is over an hour away. I will be getting out of work Wednesday morning and it would be too much for me to go home Wednesday, then wake up early on Thursday (about 3 am) to go to airport for the flight. So if I forgot anything I will be SOL!

So I will stay at my parents house and get a good night sleep and be bright eyed and bushy tailed for my fun, Fun, FUN weekend with all my DW friends!

Beth

Lance-Corporal
Aug 18, 2009
Godalming, Surrey
www.bethworlds.com
OMG Exp date...Fitchburg? *cries* You think I'm joking but I'm not. My grandfather was a Finnish immigrant who settled in first Massachusetts and then New Hampshire. Fitchburg was the "big city" near them and where he helped found the Co-op grocery store. Oh I just had such a flashback to going to Fitchburg with my grandparents when I was visiting (9 years old) and doing the grocery shopping there. Sorry to be soppy. o_O

The rat

Lance-Corporal
Apr 18, 2009
Bad Blintz
Beth said:
OMG Exp date...Fitchburg? *cries* You think I'm joking but I'm not. My grandfather was a Finnish immigrant who settled in first Massachusetts and then New Hampshire. Fitchburg was the "big city" near them and where he helped found the Co-op grocery store. Oh I just had such a flashback to going to Fitchburg with my grandparents when I was visiting (9 years old) and doing the grocery shopping there. Sorry to be soppy. o_O

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
As they say it's a small world, t'aint it!

Yeah, it's not a bad place. has it's good spot and bad spot. It is coming out of a phase of being a high crime city, but since the commuter rail has allowed mre upper middle class people access to Boston more new houses are being built. Also most of the city is minutes from Rte 2. We live just off South Street by the Leominster/ Fitchburg line and it takes about 2 mins driving and we are on Rte 2.

Being that close to 2 helps out when I am driving home from work on Wednesday morning. By the time I get out that area I am tired as all heck and trying to drive back roads any length of time puts me to sleep after being up all night. I like it, just miss living by the ocean. Also, interesting fact Fitchburg is the second hilliest city in the US right being San Franciso.

Beth

Lance-Corporal
Aug 18, 2009
Godalming, Surrey
www.bethworlds.com
I was born in Texas in 1960 and lived there most of my life but when I was 11 we moved to NH to be with my grandparents as my grandfather was dying of cancer. After he died we moved to Milford NH and I lived there until I was 20 and then moved back to Texas. We moved to India in 2004.

I no longer have immediate family in NH but have some in Connecticut. The land in NH was sadly lost when some manipulation was done of my grandmother's will in her last years and the land was sold of by more distant relatives.

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
Exp. Date said:

the tough thing for me is if I have forgotten anything when I go through my bags Wednesday night I will be at my parents house in Quincy which is about a 10 min drive (no traffic) to Logan Airport, while my house is in Fitchburg that is over an hour away. I will be getting out of work Wednesday morning and it would be too much for me to go home Wednesday, then wake up early on Thursday (about 3 am) to go to airport for the flight. So if I forgot anything I will be SOL!

So I will stay at my parents house and get a good night sleep and be bright eyed and bushy tailed for my fun, Fun, FUN weekend with all my DW friends!
Thank you Doug! :laugh: I just might take you up on that. Thankfully, almost anything we forget we should be able to get at the hotel or close by. Try to think of what you couldn't easily get first, like prescriptions and make sure that kind of stuff gets packed.

The rat

Lance-Corporal
Apr 18, 2009
Bad Blintz
Catch-up said:
Exp. Date said:

Thank you Doug! :laugh: I just might take you up on that. Thankfully, almost anything we forget we should be able to get at the hotel or close by. Try to think of what you couldn't easily get first, like prescriptions and make sure that kind of stuff gets packed.
The things I was thinking of forgetting would be books to sign, stamps, and things like that! :laugh:

Tomorrow after work I and after I take a nap I am going to a couple of used book stores near my parents house to scrounge for some possible PTerry books.

Just sign up for Skype and anytime you want to use it let me know.

The rat

Lance-Corporal
Apr 18, 2009
Bad Blintz
Oh, I will try. I am worried about how late I can stay up! :laugh:

A father of twins doesn't stay up to far past 10pm most nights, so it will be weird if I do. I will be going back to my room to say good night to the kids and I should be able to write a quick briefing about what happened, but if I don't please don't be upset.

In that case, IF you are renting a car... DO NOT DRIVE OVER RUNNING WATER ON THE ROAD!! In Arizona and other desert type places it is far too dangerous and you will probably be swept away.

If you do get swept away and have to be rescued by young hunky firemen in helicopters, be sure to get video so we can all have a good laugh, snigger, giggle or outright guffaw.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit said:
In that case, IF you are renting a car... DO NOT DRIVE OVER RUNNING WATER ON THE ROAD!! In Arizona and other desert type places it is far too dangerous and you will probably be swept away.

If you do get swept away and have to be rescued by young hunky firemen in helicopters, be sure to get video so we can all have a good laugh, snigger, giggle or outright guffaw.
They have a law in Arizona called (I kid you not) "The Stupid Motorist Law" that says if you drive into an area that says "Do not enter during floods" then you'll have to pay to get yourself rescued and be fined.

But it's sound advice - one year Sharlene say a city bus being washed sideways by a flash flood. :eek:

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Well it is certainly very hot here I drunk enough water to fill a bath. :laugh: I'm having a good time ,even had some Kilt Lifter beer a version of Scotish heavy it's quite good,might bring some back as the do it in bottles as well as draugh. :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter