North American Discworld Convention 2009

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Beth said:
Oh it all sounds great except it's true about the flooding and the stupid motorists. Every time it floods in Houston some idiot drives through it despite other idiots having been swept away in the past.
The first time I went to Tucson my flight got delayed due to torrential rain at Houston and I ended up having to spend the night there. Thankfully the airline provided me with a hotel and meal vouchers. But that was REAL rain! :eek:

Beth

Lance-Corporal
Aug 18, 2009
Godalming, Surrey
www.bethworlds.com
Oh honey....we know how to rain in Houston. Last September I went home for my daughter's wedding and hurricane Ike hit. I spent five days in a dark hotel with my mom. Mine was the last flight into Houston before Ike and I just had time to pick up my car and get over to get my mom out of her apartment so she wouldn't be alone. The inn we'd rented out for Sarah's wedding got power back only two days before the wedding. What a mess.

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
Exp. Date said:
Catch-up said:
Exp. Date said:
If you want you can use my computer to Sykpe if you miss the kids too much!

the tough thing for me is if I have forgotten anything when I go through my bags Wednesday night I will be at my parents house in Quincy which is about a 10 min drive (no traffic) to Logan Airport, while my house is in Fitchburg that is over an hour away. I will be getting out of work Wednesday morning and it would be too much for me to go home Wednesday, then wake up early on Thursday (about 3 am) to go to airport for the flight. So if I forgot anything I will be SOL!

So I will stay at my parents house and get a good night sleep and be bright eyed and bushy tailed for my fun, Fun, FUN weekend with all my DW friends!
Thank you Doug! :laugh: I just might take you up on that. Thankfully, almost anything we forget we should be able to get at the hotel or close by. Try to think of what you couldn't easily get first, like prescriptions and make sure that kind of stuff gets packed.
The things I was thinking of forgetting would be books to sign, stamps, and things like that! :laugh:

Tomorrow after work I and after I take a nap I am going to a couple of used book stores near my parents house to scrounge for some possible PTerry books.

Just sign up for Skype and anytime you want to use it let me know.
Oh yeah! I've got to look through the stampy stuff for something to bring. I've decided not to bring any books, since I'm doing just a carry on. It would be great though if Unseen Academicals were released in time for this.

The rat

Lance-Corporal
Apr 18, 2009
Bad Blintz
Well, I have made it to AZ and the Con and it is HOT! Like melt you shoes HOT, like face-melting-at-the-end-of-Indiana-Jones HOT!

But it is nice to meet some of my new friends. I have met Sandra, Jane and Little Pat, and Paul. I also had a nice chat with Bernard who liked the hat that I made for the Con and made me his Aide D'Camp and a Commander, with Sargent Stripes! :laugh:

We have a nice long chat in the court yard. No pictures yet, just walking around the place seeing what's what. Found a good sub place called Silver Mine Subs Good price and good food. Well, I am going to head down to the lobby and see who else I can meet and chat with. I will start taking pictures tomorrow and post them when I get home, forgot the cord! :x :x

BTW, IT'S HOT!!!!!!

Did I forget to mention that?

:laugh: :laugh:

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
I leave in just a couple of hours. :laugh: Unfortunately, my flights been delayed a little and I'll get in later than I'd hoped. I just hope I'm not too wiped out to enjoy myself this evening!

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit said:
I envy the lot of you. I hope Sir Terry is in good enough health by the time I get to go to one.
Tina at the opening cermony today Terry did say he would not be opposed to coming back for another Discworld one in the states so keep an eye out and a ear open (not literely)or watch this space in about 2 years or less his health permitting. :laugh:

Beth

Lance-Corporal
Aug 18, 2009
Godalming, Surrey
www.bethworlds.com
Maybe that one I'll be able to make too. It would be nice to meet you Tina and other American members as well. At the Birmingham con there was a lady who did a brilliant Nanny Ogg. She was with a friend and I could hear they were Americans but I never really got a chance to chat with them until the last day. She has been blessed with a head of Oggish iron gray curls by nature and she's shorter and really was perfect as Nanny. She even brought a big toy cat to carry around as Greebo. Anyway, we chatted on the last day of the con and wonder of wonders it turned out that they were from my home town of Houston, TX. :laugh: So, when I went home for my daughter's wedding I invited Peg (that's her name) and my family really liked her and then when I went home in May we met up for Scrabble and chat and really hit it off. So, she's at the con in Phoenix right now and will give me a full report next week when I go home over drinks and er...drinks. :) Did anyone else meet Peg in Birmingham?

User Menu

Newsletter