What Are You Reading 2

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Damn, those were difficult times. Did it rain on you, or was there plumbing/a lake/a burst bottle of Evian involved?

A

Anonymous

I finished sourcery and now deciding either to read "Wyrd Sisters" or "The Hunt for the Red October", I can't decided o_O

Apr 29, 2009
London
Dotsie said:
Damn, those were difficult times. Did it rain on you, or was there plumbing/a lake/a burst bottle of Evian involved?
It was a huge, glass, vase of flowers on my desk at work, that had got cracked, and I'd not noticed.

It slowly deposited it's liquid contents all over 2 files, my fax machine and my Men At Arms.

I was most miffed.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
RJH said:
I finished sourcery and now deciding either to read "Wyrd Sisters" or "The Hunt for the Red October", I can't decided o_O
See if you can find a bin or toilet roll holder that will fit The Hunt for Red October and go enjoy Wyrd Sisters :laugh:

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Bouncy Castle said:
Dotsie said:
It was a huge, glass, vase of flowers on my desk at work, that had got cracked, and I'd not noticed.

It slowly deposited it's liquid contents all over 2 files, my fax machine and my Men At Arms.

I was most miffed.
Ah, I remember now. Bummer.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
As you probably noticed I don't post in here on my own behalf which is mainly the fault of Messrs Tolkien and Pratchett as their output now isn't too fast and furious and they're the sort of author you can read over and over of course. ;) So these days it takes something special for me to start with a new author or series and, as I strive to write my own trash, anything that gets published by a friend has huge interest for me and so, at long last I gave myself a pre-birthday treat and went mad on Amazon and bought 2 more volumes of the History of Middle Earth (Lost Tales 1 & 2) which is really for reference more than pleasure TBH AND - Perian's Journey by Alistair McGechie and one Sue Bridgwater better known on DreamWorlds to those of you who post there as well as Saranna... :)

Now I had started the book a few years ago when Sueranna kindly let me have a soft copy, but I only got so far before some 'disaster' hit and I stopped for one reason or another. But I'd been looking at a 'proper' copy on Amazon for some time and being a visual magpie the cover artwork started to intrigue me and so I decided to buy and it duly arrived on my doorstep and this time I gobbled it all up in about 5 days of late night indulgence.

Anyway - I thoroughly enjoyed it and so I've reviewed it on Amazon and you can see that HERE (may be a gap of 48 hours for public viewing whilst they check I haven't been profane - as if! :twisted: ). That link seems to work when I'm logged out and the review's there so enjoy! :laugh:

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
I have some novels I am dying to get into (including the book Q gave me) but as I can't get my eyes or brain around a full story right now I am still reading short stories (which I love as an art form anyway so all good there) and chapter driven books.

Biographies seem to fit that genre.... "This part of my life... that part of my life" etc.

Biographies are a dodgy thing to read. I find that people who are still "in business" (and who we might be interested in as topical), tend to write to make themselves seems sane enough to continue running thier business or career, so I usually prefer dead peoples biographies (and scientists and engineers in particular).

BUT.... I am reading the Biography of Ruby Wax. "How do you want me" .... OMG! What a foul foul childhood that poor woman had. Both of her parents were absolute nutters who should have been locked up for abuse on every level. Very confronting and emotional.... but amazingly open. She pulls no punches. I find myself saying to her "Nooooooooo! Don't go back home to visit!!!!!"

I AM trying to read fiction and "happy stuff" right now... but as gruelling as this is... there is the optimism that she survived her childhood (and well into her adulthood) and went on to make a good life mainly due to the amazing people who came into her life later.

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
meerkat said:
The Unadulterated Cat. Great fun! And so true!
I loved that and the send up of the Campaign for Real Ale literature :)

Far too many people these days have grown used to boring, mass-produced cats, which may bounce with health and nourishing vitamins but aren't a patch on the good old cats you used to get. The Campaign for Real Cats wants to change all that by helping people recognise Real Cats when they see them.
Hence this book.
The Campaign for Real Cats is against fizzy keg cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

User Menu

Newsletter