SPOILERS Lets Cast - 'Guards! Guards!'

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Oct 10, 2009
italy-genova
Tonyblack said:
Jeremy Irons was superb as him in Colour of Magic, but I'd use Terence Stamp or Charles Dance as well.
Seriously? You liked Irons? I thought it was almost outrageous :x , he looked to me as if he was trying to mime Connery doing the old wiseman, without getting it right. I thought in that moment 'next time someone insists on casting Jeremy Irons for a fantasy movie i won't watch it' so i hope they never recast him for Vetinari.
Well, everyone has his opinions ;)
I never thought of Terence Stamp, but he's better than Irons, I would give him a chance :)
I admit i don't know Charles Dance, I'll google the name

Oct 10, 2009
italy-genova
I have googled Charles Dance.. not a bad choice, but i'd like a thin Alan Rickman for the role of Vetinari.
Nice idea Rupert Grint for Carrot. He is not so amazingly handsome as Carrot's description in the books, but i doubt a real person can be.

Oct 10, 2009
italy-genova
superfurryandy said:
Vimes - Ray Winstone
Nobby - Phil Daniels
Colon - Timothy Spall
Carrott - Kevin McKidd
Vetinari - Alan Rickman
Sybil - Geraldine James

Always thought Davide Thewlis would make a good Rincewind.
I just googled Kegin McKidd... yeees, he would be a nice Carrott..but i've found this site www.kmyburgh.com/gallery.htm and I think Kirsten Myburgh would be very good to play Carrot. What do you think?

p.s. i thought, until today, that Kirsten was only a female name.. :oops:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Every time someone says Hugh Laurie would make a good Vimes all I can see is HL playing Bertie Wooster or dad in Stuart Little :laugh: I know he's a whole lot tougher and hyper-cynical in House but - No! :laugh: It's just a push too far I'm afraid.

Johnny Depp as Vetinari? I can sort of see that in the attitude department although he's really too flippant, but he's far too cute physically and in a way he's like Pierce Brosnan was playing Bond - you just can't imagine him being really ruthless despite the evidence of your own eyes. Vetinari's not got any playfulness about him at all and JD can't help but do that whoever he's playing.

Now Stephen Fry (HL's sometime comedy partner) would be brilliant as being Vetinari on the cerebral side of things as he can do cruel snidey, superior intellect and coldly calculating to the nth degree :twisted: Pity he's a bit too pampered looking (plump) although he does look a bit like a prize fighter (he's got a glorious broken-looking nose), is very tall and has a decidedly Patricianly manner about him. But he's such a big old softie I don't think he could quite crack it - Charles Dance is pretty well cast in that role I'd say.

Apr 29, 2009
London
I re-read GG yesterday, and I'm sure it says somewhere near the beginning of the book, that Vimes is skinny.

As, indeed, is the Patrician, who only eats a glass of boiled water and a slice of stale bread.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
There you go Tina Hugh in full comedy flood and Stephen Fry (who I reckon could carry off Vetinari in manner and voice at least) [edit as YT's withdrawn the other one - playing Lord Melchet (he of the golden breasts ;) Hugh's the tallest of the 1st 3 stag night guests)] ;)

Hugh's not done much 'straight' acting really, but he's been in Stuart Little, the 1st live action 101 Dalmations as the taller of Cruella's henchmen and Maybe Baby opposite Joely Richardson (film of Ben Elton's book Inconceivable)

Apr 29, 2009
London
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbarchers/F195 ... 2&latest=1

Don't know if any of you are registered with BBC Points of View forum, but the above link is a discussion about TP's movies.

It actually started out as a thread about Terry on BBC Breakfast, but you know how these things go off topic! :laugh:

They're wondering why he went with Sky to make the movies, as he loathes that type of company, or somesuch.

Perhaps one of you could answer, or let me have something I could copy/paste over to there?

Ta muchly.

Oook!

Phoenix

Lance-Corporal
Oct 4, 2009
Hampshire, England
I *think* I heard something about TP saying that he went with Sky because they were offering the most creative control/involvement and he hadn't liked how other companies wanted to change the plots/characters. That's only based on vague recall of something I saw on tv though (possibly on a behind-the-scenes/making of documentary for one of the films).

User Menu

Newsletter